OTHER Ku band causing interference on amateur radio 2 meters

If you feel you ruled out the power supply, then the box is the problem. It really is that simple. Run the FTA receiver off of the 12 volt battery and see if it helps. Best way to rule out the power supply.

Get your dvom out and using the original PS, check the polarity center positive or negative. cut the cord and wire it to your battery and see what happens. And it does not matter if you have a 10 million amp battery, the receiver will only use what it needs.

Get your dvom out and using the original PS, check the polarity center positive or negative. cut the cord and wire it to your battery and see what happens. And it does not matter if you have a 10 million amp battery, the receiver will only use what it needs.
Cut the power cord? Then I'm left with zilch afterwards. Better to use the battery box I built and the 12VDC adapters I have then I won\t have to destroy anything unnecessarily.Done. same result. Static!

Adapters, back to the same stuff. Why would you not solder and heat shrink the wires back if it did not help. Besides you already stated you have others.
There is absolutely no reason to destroy a power supply if you have alternative cables and adapters designed for use with 12VDC power supply. I think you mean well but your suggesstion destroys property that does't need to be destroyed.

Maybe I should talk in slow motion. You won't destroy the power supply. If you use a DVOM you can tell if the center is positive or negative, cut the wire in the middle and wire to your battery so the center pin of the connector is the same as before cutting. run jumper wires or whatever to see if it helps running off the battery. If not solder and heat shrink the wires back as they were. If you have a HAM license and can not do simple soldering you have more issues than I can help with. You are the one that asked a question, we tried to help. If this is really happening, you just want to take some of the advice you have been given by me and others. I am still intrigued of how you will destroy a wall wart by cutting the wires. Well as a disclaimer maybe I should say unplug it first.I am guessing none of your coaxs are grounded either to your house ground rod.

Maybe I should talk in slow motion. You won't destroy the power supply. If you use a DVOM you can tell if the center is positive or negative, cut the wire in the middle and wire to your battery so the center pin of the connector is the same as before cutting. run jumper wires or whatever to see if it helps running off the battery. If not solder and heat shrink the wires back as they were. If you have a HAM license and can not do simple soldering you have more issues than I can help with. You are the one that asked a question, we tried to help. If this is really happening, you just want to take some of the advice you have been given by me and others. I am still intrigued of how you will destroy a wall wart by cutting the wires. Well as a disclaimer maybe I should say unplug it first.I am guessing none of your coaxs are grounded either to your house ground rod.
Please go away! Your rude!

Do you not know how to read? I already stated I tried this! Go away your rude. Hopefully admins will help you along your way.

Your a real piece of work! Run the ham radio off a battery? Again, do you not know how to read? I gave this answer in my opening. Please leave. I do not respect you.

Look I or nobody else is being rude to you, believe it or not we are trying to help. You already had one help full person check out of the conversation. But again this has a little rocket science in it. You have to test different configurations to see were the problem lies. I am not being rude or mean, if you have this problem you have to pin it down by trial and error. Get your coaxs bonded to your house ground, you are lucky you have a battery system. Hook the Ham radio to it and see what happens. I am not rude, just logical.

Look I or nobody else is being rude to you, believe it or not we are trying to help. You already had one help full person check out of the conversation. But again this has a little rocket science in it. You have to test different configurations to see were the problem lies. I am not being rude or mean, if you have this problem you have to pin it down by trial and error. Get your coaxs bonded to your house ground, you are lucky you have a battery system. Hook the Ham radio to it and see what happens. I am not rude, just logical.
I'm really not interested in working with or listening to you.

Made in China strikes again!
Toss the receiver in a grounded metal box. Extension cord the wall wart and toss it in there too.
Got noise still?
Does the Koquit-caine have a metal or plastic case? Have you tried running it on a stand-alone battery?
How about with it on and the coax detatched? In the box, of course. Same with the HDMI cable.

BTW satarootsky. Do you know how many wall warts I have with spliced, soldered and heat shrunk cables here?
Heck I have cut pigtails from all sorts of barrel connector types on a hook on the pegboard on the back of my bench.
The neighborhood junk store has boxes and boxes of wall-wart du jour for a buck a piece. Goodwill too.

I ain't done yet. Once you MAYBE are able to isolate the problem to the receiver's RF emission and my suggestion to Faraday cage it and the power supply. And you manage to get the hash reduced. Work the problem.
When you started all of this and I tried to assist you in the best way I could. All along I thought (ie: muttered)....'a thirty dollar receiver'.
Over and over. What can you expect?
Why do I run LMR-400 and 9913? Why did I run a Power One 12 volt linear DC supply and bus bar, thanks to eBay, behind my entertainment/HT stack-o-stuff to eliminate switch mode power supplies?
It ain't because I actually enjoy nightly S9 reception of the gravely-voiced Shortwave Jesus sermons. Can I get a witness!!
You're frustrated? Wear our shoes dude. Calm down. We're trying to help you. Don't buy another bargain basement receiver. Please!
Man. Do you know that one Saturday I chased everyone away and one by one had my ham rigs running on batteries with the juice off at the service panel and one by one turning on a breaker and trying every single source of RF hash from microwaves to wall warts, laptops, A-freakin'-lexa.
How do we get 18 volts from a 12 volt power supply to switch lnb polartty? Ummmm...a boost converter? Let me guess. The majority of your hash is harmonics from between 20-50 kHz.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Comptech and FTA4PA
Okay I am in this conversation so I will see what I can help you with.

Okay you have a 2980(great radio BTW) hooked to a battery.
Is the radio hooked to an outside antenna?
...if yes is the antenna up in the air at least 10 feet from the radio and receiver?
Also, most of the cheap satellite receivers produce a lot of spurious emissions. Not only those but many other electronics these days. They use very poorly designed switching supplies that throw trash all over the spectrum.

Not only are the wall warts garbage but they using more switching in side to get the different voltages for the microProcessor etc.
Have you tried disconnecting the coax on the receiver?
Try running the receiver off your 12V battery that your radio is hooked....This is eliminate the Wallwart or any wallwart.

The noise is getting in on the PS lead to the radio or from the antenna one or the other. What happens if you disconnect the coax from the radio?
Lots of variables here. You need to give more info.

Reactions: TRG