OTHER Ku band causing interference on amateur radio 2 meters

Thank yo Kevin, he refuses to run the 2 meter on his battery if you read back. Exact words from him why riun a poer supply, when I said solder and heat shrink the back together. He does not want to try what we offer.

Okay I am in this conversation so I will see what I can help you with.

Okay you have a 2980(great radio BTW) hooked to a battery.
Is the radio hooked to an outside antenna?
...if yes is the antenna up in the air at least 10 feet from the radio and receiver?
Also, most of the cheap satellite receivers produce a lot of spurious emissions. Not only those but many other electronics these days. They use very poorly designed switching supplies that throw trash all over the spectrum.

Not only are the wall warts garbage but they using more switching in side to get the different voltages for the microProcessor etc.
Have you tried disconnecting the coax on the receiver?
Try running the receiver off your 12V battery that your radio is hooked....This is eliminate the Wallwart or any wallwart.

The noise is getting in on the PS lead to the radio or from the antenna one or the other. What happens if you disconnect the coax from the radio?
Lots of variables here. You need to give more info.
1) Radio is connected to a 2 meter antenna that is outside and 30 feet off the ground.
2) With COAX disconnected I still get the static. Receiver, as mentioned above, has been connected directly to the battery with no improvement,
3) All my radios run off a solar charged battery and have never been connected to the mains.

I had that very same Koqit box (prior to a lightning strike) and had no interference on my Kenwood 2 meter mobile running off a 12 volt power supply in the house. However, my 2 boxes were many feet apart so my question is, how close together are your 2 boxes? How close together are your 2 coax cables?

2 meter operates between 144-148 MHz.
Ku operates between 12-18GHz.
There is no way Ku is interfering into the 2 meter band so something else is at play and those possibilities are: the STB, the walwart, or the connections (coax, electrical). Virtually all of these cheap Chinese satellite boxes have spurious emissions that can cause interference with other electronics depending on how close together they are.

Reactions: Comptech and FTA4PA
The Ku band maybe 12-18 GHz but the LNB will downconvert the signal to between 950MHz-2150MHz depending on the LNBF type and send it down the COAX to the receiver. Still that would appear to be in a range that should not affect 2 meters.

In the family, my son and I both have FT2890R radios in our shacks. I programmed both with the RT Systems program using my Dell laptop and my laptop definitely causes that type of S9 RFI on the radios in my case. Using the same laptop with Chirp on other radios the same issues are evident and I just accept because it's only for a few minutes during the programming.

On the same note, my Samsung TV does the same exact thing if powered on. For me the TV is never on during the times I use any of the radio equipment anyway and that wipes out 10 meters especially on the HF radio.

Same here I have an old Panasonic plasma HDTV which creates havic on the HF bands and a 12v switching PS that is not HF friendly as well.

I had that very same Koqit box (prior to a lightning strike) and had no interference on my Kenwood 2 meter mobile running off a 12 volt power supply in the house. However, my 2 boxes were many feet apart so my question is, how close together are your 2 boxes? How close together are your 2 coax cables?

There is no way Ku is interfering into the 2 meter band so something else is at play and those possibilities are: the STB, the walwart, or the connections (coax, electrical). Virtually all of these cheap Chinese satellite boxes have spurious emissions that can cause interference with other electronics depending on how close together they are.

How Close? I guess that depends on your definition. The boxes are separated by about 20 feet and dry wall and 2x4's. The coax is on other side of house.

In the family, my son and I both have FT2890R radios in our shacks. I programmed both with the RT Systems program using my Dell laptop and my laptop definitely causes that type of S9 RFI on the radios in my case. Using the same laptop with Chirp on other radios the same issues are evident and I just accept because it's only for a few minutes during the programming.

On the same note, my Samsung TV does the same exact thing if powered on. For me the TV is never on during the times I use any of the radio equipment anyway and that wipes out 10 meters especially on the HF radio.
I agree, I don't want to listen to TV and the radio at same time and the one or the other is the way to go. One the other hand by not taking the matter seriously and at least attempting to find out the issue could very well impact your neighbors. So for me I want to know the answer and have my bases covered.

Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST