OTHER Ku band causing interference on amateur radio 2 meters

ILoveSats

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
America
Hello Everyone!

I'm experiencing loud 'static' on the 2 meter amateur band whenever I turn on my Koqit satellite receiver.

I thought that perhaps the motor may have been causing the problem. To find out, I disconnected the cable OUT on the motor and rerouted the cable straight to the LNB which in turn leads straight to the TV in the house. I turned on the receiver navigated to a live channel and the 'static' could still be heard. Therefore, the motor wasn't the issue.

The 2 meter band radio is connected to a 12VDC battery and NOT the mains.

I'm uncertain what I can do next and thought the community could help me out. Has anyone heard of a problem like this before? Can it be fixed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 70
I have never used the Koqit brand myself but it might be the 'wall wart' power supply for it. Some of those switching power supplies are not designed very well and have a tendency to cause a lot of interference issues. Do you have another power supply of the same rating you can replace it with to test?

I have never used the Koqit brand myself but it might be the 'wall wart' power supply for it. Some of those switching power supplies are not designed very well and have a tendency to cause a lot of interference issues. Do you have another power supply of the same rating you can replace it with to test?

The radio is connected to a 12VDC battery and not the mains.

I fully agree with this. I've had a Dell laptop power supply wipe out my VHF tv reception. I replaced it, and problem went away.

Reactions: FTA4PA
The original power supply has an output of 12VDC at 1A. I replaced with adapter I found rated at 12VDC at 750mA and issue persists.

The original power supply has an output of 12VDC at 1A. I replaced with adapter I found rated at 12VDC at 750mA and issue persists.

Is the adapter you tried replacing it with of know good quality? I mean have you used it before and know it doesn't cause the issue you are now experiencing.

No that's not necessarily true. Indeed, this is why quality control is suppose to catch issues like this.
I think at this point it would be prudent to wait and see what the HAMS in the community have to say. I know there are many of them here and sure someone is aware of what's going on.

• Sad
Reactions: Comptech
No that's not necessarily true. Indeed, this is why quality control is suppose to catch issues like this.
I think at this point it would be prudent to wait and see what the HAMS in the community have to say. I know there are many of them here and sure someone is aware of what's going on.

Ok then, I tried. Good luck!

Well I am a ham, and agree the box or the wall wart is the problem. If you unplug it and all is fine, it can only be the power supply or the box itself. In fact if I new nothing about electronics I still think I could figure that out.

Now if your 2 meter is a Baofeng, I could see were 12 gig could interfere with to meter, or maybe both, a cheap FTA reciever and a cheap ham radio. They are both probably spewing emissions!

Well I am a ham, and agree the box or the wall wart is the problem. If you unplug it and all is fine, it can only be the power supply or the box itself. In fact if I new nothing about electronics I still think I could figure that out.
As we saw above the power supply was ruled out. Didn't you read that part?

Nope, not taking it personally. You asked for suggestions and were given some. You are free to listen or not listen. Really, it's no skin off my nose. As I said, I tried and I wish you good luck! ;)
That's great to hear! I thought you got sensitive since I didn't have any more hardware to swap out in your testing plan. That's why I suggested waiting to hear from some hams.

Reactions: FTA4PA