Clamp Mount Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bryus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
The deck on my apartment is being replaced this summer and the management doesn't want my dish bolted into the new railing like it is now. The railing is framed 2x4s with siding. This makes short tripods difficult and mounts that hook to railings impossible.

The person at the management office mentioned that another tenant had a clamp mount. I've looked around some and this is the only one I've found. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there others? I looks like a good alternative to a tripod that would take up a lot of space on my deck.

How about a pole mount inside of a big galvanized tub? Cement that sucker in there, and mount the dish on the pole. It should be heavy enough to be fine, and others have done the same.

How about 2 pieces of 2x12 with the railing sandwiched between them. Use stove bolts to provide clamping and lag bolt to the 2x12 just as if it were a wall. You will need washers on the stove bolts and check about every 6mo. that the wood hasn't dried out and loosened the clamping.

How about 2 pieces of 2x12 with the railing sandwiched between them. Use stove bolts to provide clamping and lag bolt to the 2x12 just as if it were a wall. You will need washers on the stove bolts and check about every 6mo. that the wood hasn't dried out and loosened the clamping.
Great idea!

just a 5 gallon bucket would work..

it's all you really need + 60lb bag of concrete

post-73-136593523486.jpg

Less than$10 for pole concrete and bucket.
And much less sturdy. I can see those being bumped into and having to be repointed often.

And the sturdiest option. Patio mounts are only as sturdy as what they are mounted to.
A patio mount has 6 40lb bricks holding it down. And it sits on the ground. It isn't attached to anything.

Much sturdier than a bucket with concrete.

I think you were talking about the rail mount. Which may not be very sturdy.

First pic is rail mount. Second pic is patio mount (I shortened the pole for aesthetic purposes).

Rail mounts are only as sturgy as the rail they are attatchef to. Patio mounts sit on the balcony floor or patio floor and are heavey as #### once done correctly.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Attachments

• 1402775615454.jpg
    1402775615454.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 1402775640142.jpg
    1402775640142.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: agentc13
if you still want to use a railing mount, this is the dish approved one internal techs use:

bucket mounts were actually standard for balconies before they even had patio or railing mounts

"Patio Mount" is really just a non-penetrating mount, usually found on flat roofs of buildings, etc.

Anchored with bricks or cement blocks to prevent movement.

The main drawback is the base takes up quite a bit of real estate.

if you still want to use a railing mount, this is the dish approved one internal techs use:

bucket mounts were actually standard for balconies before they even had patio or railing mounts

Actually, the on Dishman1978 posted is the one internal techs now use.

"Patio Mount" is really just a non-penetrating mount, usually found on flat roofs of buildings, etc.

Anchored with bricks or cement blocks to prevent movement.

The main drawback is the base takes up quite a bit of real estate.

A non-pen mount is the smaller flat roof mount. A patio mount is not the same, and is the one that Dishman posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts