Class Action Lawsuit - HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
I spoke with a lawyer friend, he stated that we might have a case against Dish if we can prove the definition of HD. If it is in fact a certain standard (1280P etc..) and they change this without informing the subscriber or change their advertising to reflect that fact that it is not true-HD, we can take some action.

I don't think this benefits us however. Obviously DISH does not care about existing customers or top tier customers with service already. (ex. new recievers, new lease deals, 921 fiasco). I don't think they care if they lose say 500 of our VOOM service $5 x 500 = 30K per year.

I think their plan is to attract the non techy people and fool them into thinking they are getting HD since it's a better picture then their soft SD crap already.
They will probably add the VOOM21 at the HD-Lite standard hoping to attract new customers from cable.

THIS SUCKS!!!

The only thing we can do is get the word out there to media groups, magazines, web sites, word of mouth that this HD-LITE is not something to pay for. If we can make a dent in DISH's new accounts, that hurts them more than churn from us techy's.

A lawsuit is not the answer.

As we already know Dish is getting a lot of complaints about this. They know that this is quickly turning into a publicity nightmare.

They already have meetings scheduled about this.

Lets keep the pressure on them and see what they come up with.

Remember there is power in numbers. Make your voice heard. dishquality@echostar.com

If you want your rates to go up, go ahead and sue them. If you want your lawyer friend to earn millions in fees, go ahead and sue them.

-- Companies NEVER pay these costs: 1) They either pay out of an insurance policy or 2) They pass the cost (loss) on to the customer.

-- In class-action lawsuits, only the lawyers win. Sure, customers will get a $50 one-time credit on their bill... Whoop-de-doo !

Scott

I agree but I don't think our voices matter.

Like I said they only care about new customers not existing. (ex. 921, NBR for 5xx, OLN etc.) If our 500 posts lead to 500 complaints and they add 10k new accounts, it amounts to nothing for them.

You are our only hope with your contacts with trade mags and publicity. If you can get it out there that HD is not HD but a scam and we can dent their new customer business, this they will care about.

hall

This is what I said. I am not in favor. But what else can we do?

I pay 9.99 for HD package + 5.00 for VOOM HD. Obviously I will cancel both if this is what their plans are but I don't think this will matter at all to them.

bdemz said:
This is what I said. I am not in favor. But what else can we do?
I pay 9.99 for HD package + 5.00 for VOOM HD. Obviously I will cancel both if this is what their plans are but I don't think this will matter at all to them.
I would say drop E* and find another provider..but unfortuantly they all seem to be doing the same thing

bdemz said:
You are our only hope with your contacts with trade mags and publicity. If you can get it out there that HD is not HD but a scam and we can dent their new customer business, this they will care about.

Help us Obi Wan Greczkowski, you are our only hope! :D

I don't believe this is lawsuit material. I say we keep up the email/phone/publicity campaign. Dish is hearing it from all sides and lots of customers.

The best way to let them know is to drop the Voom package and when (if) they ask you why tell them!! If they hear this enough some change may occur!!

Lawsuit is too far, my organizing of a massive Voom cancelling of service(if things don't change) is not too far ;), companies hurt the most when the wallet speaks

my wallet is not willing to pay 4.99$ a month for this garbage
my wallet is willing to pay 19.99$ or more for all 21 Voom unmolested

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
Lawsuit is too far, my organizing of a massive Voom cancelling of service(if things don't change) is not too far ;), companies hurt the most when the wallet speaks
my wallet is not willing to pay 4.99$ a month for this garbage
my wallet is willing to pay 19.99$ or more for all 21 Voom unmolested
-Gary
maybe 19.99 for the entire e*HD package:eek:

Gary

Like I said if you can get 500 people to cancel VOOM this equats to only 30k per year, not even a blip.

It will seem like DISH is scrambling but they will wait, it will die down and we will have to accept this HD-CRAP.

bdemz said:
It will seem like DISH is scrambling but they will wait, it will die down and we will have to accept this HD-CRAP.

NEVER!!!! will I accept it. Dish might have a some chance if VOOM had new content, but it does not have enough to keep me interested in it if the quality is low. VOOM needs two things to keep me a customer: New content and high quality.

The opinions expressed are exactly the same arguments raised for years about the SD quality. Those of us who have invested in HD are the same people who screamed about sub-standard, overly-compressed SD.

We lost those wars because we didn't have the numbers. That is, the vast public was more than happy with sub-standard, but acceptable to them, SD as long as they got more channels to watch. And even reading the Dish forums, historically, there have been more complaints and cries for increased service in the arena of missing channels than for quality.

So HD comes along and the early adopters are all the picture quality guys. Thus the vast majority of present subs to services like VOOM are people who have exacting standards. Unfortunately, as HD migrates into a mass market service, the very people who undermined our arguments for higher quality SD, become the market for HD.

Excepting now our arguments are even weaker. Because if compressed SD was acceptable to the masses, compressed HD will be wildly acceptable. E*, D*, and the cable companies all know this. We are screaming, but we are not the make or break it portion of the market in terms of profit. Besides, where are we going to go? There is no safe haven.

Until there is an almost unlimited, low cost method of delivering high bandwidth to large audiences, I fully expect all HD providers to compress. It is a tried and true formula. Those companies that stressed high quality over channel numbers were left by the wayside.

For the time being, perhaps our collective weight as being a large portion of the VOOM market will be able to influence decisions. I have serious doubts that it will affect the long-term strategy, but it is worth the fight.

hall said:
If you want your rates to go up, go ahead and sue them. If you want your lawyer friend to earn millions in fees, go ahead and sue them.

-- Companies NEVER pay these costs: 1) They either pay out of an insurance policy or 2) They pass the cost (loss) on to the customer.

-- In class-action lawsuits, only the lawyers win. Sure, customers will get a $50 one-time credit on their bill... Whoop-de-doo !
I would believe more like $0.50 ;)

bdemz said:
I spoke with a lawyer friend, he stated that we might have a case against Dish if we can prove the definition of HD. If it is in fact a certain standard (1280P etc..) and they change this without informing the subscriber or change their advertising to reflect that fact that it is not true-HD, we can take some action.

Bring it to Texas. Here may be the Texas Attornery General can do it for free. He has closed several National Companies for just about the same issues. Corporate Deception. :D

Then Again, I hear the NY counterpart is a tough cookie too. Specially! since he he is looking for a national office.

OH Boy!!!!
I just forgot about it. Who just nailed MS for 36 Millions in Fines, as of yesterday.
The Korean Government. Why????
Corporate Abuses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.