Clear QAM in PHX

ajnsue

Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I searched the forum for details on this and failed to find an answer. What do I need to receive the HD local channels? I currently have a Samsung set top QAM tuner. My Cox bill lists my service as Limited Basic, Internet and Telephone.
I would use over the air but I dont want to install a antenna and I am located behing papago buttes which makes reception difficult - so I would rather just get the Free HD off my basic cable connection

What do I need to receive the HD local channels?
I'm guessing that you didn't search the Cox website nor ask them what would be required. From the fine print on their website:
Cox Cable HD Programming said:
subscription to a minimum service level of Basic Cable required to receive Broadcast HD service.
There is also mention of needing a $12/month receiver, but your TV's tuner is supposed to qualify.

Harshness:

Thanks for the reply - I reviewed quite a few forums and kept hearing Basic service was all that was required. I guess I didnt understand that there was such a big difference between "Basic" and "Limited Basic".

What is Basic!

From Cox' website...
"Cox Limited* - Some areas call this service Cox Basic. Includes access to all of your local channels."
Although my bill says limited I also get several other channels all the way up to 100 (which in cox terminology would be called "cox expanded". So what is the magic that lets me see the Local HD channels.

I searched the forum for details on this and failed to find an answer. What do I need to receive the HD local channels? I currently have a Samsung set top QAM tuner. My Cox bill lists my service as Limited Basic, Internet and Telephone.
I would use over the air but I dont want to install a antenna and I am located behing papago buttes which makes reception difficult - so I would rather just get the Free HD off my basic cable connection

Have you done a scan with the QAM tuner? In my area, Cox has all of our local HD networks available via unencrypted QAM even on a basic cable subscription.

Last edited:
COX in CA

I live in Orange County CA and have Cox, but not their digital service. My new Sony TV has a Qam Tuner and the first time I turned it on it found all the local HD channels and FM radio.stations This morning I scanned for new channels and it found HDPPV. Just a static promo image and repeating music, but sometimes I get a complete On Demand movie. But can never tell when or where as they change channels.
Don't know anything about your brand TV, but did you try unplugging it and then turning back on to see if it starts an analog, then digital scan?
Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)