Clemens to pitch for Yanks

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
roger clemens announced sunday afternoon he is signing a contract and will pitch for the yankees this season. details to follow!

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
sounds like he agreed to a minor league contract and will take ``several'' weeks to get into shape. however, with the yankees pitching woes right now, i'm sure they would welcome him sooner rather than later!

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I heard this and was kinda stunned. I figured he would go anywhere but Houston. He is supposed to get 28 million prorated.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
So the Yankees will officially have 2 starting pitchers .....
How did he decide that NY was the place he wanted to go to make the playoffs ?

Two starters will not make it .
I bet they start looking to buy more real pitchers from the lower clubs soon.

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
hey, i'm wondering if he got a similar sweetheart deal where he doesn't have to travel on the road? obviously, he can't drive to home games.

the yanks have been going full tilt on this.....sending him text messages every day. and i'm sure andy did some arm twisiting! it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. will houston rebound? will the yanks tank? do the bosox say we didn't need him anyway?

stay tuned.....same bat channel!!

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
hey, i'm wondering if he got a similar sweetheart deal where he doesn't have to travel on the road? obviously, he can't drive to home games.

the yanks have been going full tilt on this.....sending him text messages every day. and i'm sure andy did some arm twisiting! it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. will houston rebound? will the yanks tank? do the bosox say we didn't need him anyway?

stay tuned.....same bat channel!!

==========================================================
I'm wondering if he got a similar sweetheart deal where he doesn't have to travel on the road?

probably the same sweetheart deal he got with them last time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
will houston rebound?

Probably not, although I don't know if they were actually counting on him anyway.
they seem too take Roger as a added + to the rotation, which is what they should do anyways.
I do not expect Houston to make the playoffs, but there is a long ways to go and Houston always comes on strong at the end of the year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
will the yanks tank?
I would not use the word tank,
I expect them to be there in the end, just not quite enough to make the playoffs.

PS. Roger should have shocked the world and signed with the Tigers or Twins if he wanted to make the playoffs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do the bosox say we didn't need him anyway?
Sox DID want him, but figured he would be the icing on the cake, they are pretty happy with the pitching they have , but Roger would always be a welcome addition.

jmo,
Jimbo

Delorean2006

SatelliteGuys Guru
Sep 8, 2006
So the Yankees will officially have 2 starting pitchers .....
How did he decide that NY was the place he wanted to go to make the playoffs ?

Two starters will not make it .
I bet they start looking to buy more real pitchers from the lower clubs soon.

Jimbo

More like 4 guy without clemens

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
will the yanks tank?
I would not use the word tank,
I expect them to be there in the end, just not quite enough to make the playoffs.

jmo,
Jimbo

I guess if its said enough years in a row - it will happen sooner or later. I predict later - way later. Same as I heard last year I think.

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
The Yankees are fools!! To pay THAT much for a player that only plays once every 4 or 5 days....it just shows you how desperate they are and how utterly useless their farm systems and scouts have been when it comes to cultivating pitchers. And watch how MORE desperate they become when get close to he trading dead line....and deplete that ALREADY depleted farm system even more....

I LOVE George Steinbrenner because he will do ANYTHING to get a World Series Champsion....but at the same time, I hate what he has done to free agency and what he has done to that farm system.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Predicting that Clemens goes to the Yankees, is REALLY going out on a limb :)

probably won't be enough to get in the playoffs anyway .....
I wonder how Clemens will feel IF they DON'T make the playoffs ?

Jimbo

Go Tigers !!!
I know LOL. It didnt take much to predict it. Like a baby grabbing its pacy. I dont think it will help either. Just more long balls hit out of the park.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
The Yankees are fools!! To pay THAT much for a player that only plays once every 4 or 5 days....it just shows you how desperate they are and how utterly useless their farm systems and scouts have been when it comes to cultivating pitchers. And watch how MORE desperate they become when get close to he trading dead line....and deplete that ALREADY depleted farm system even more....

I LOVE George Steinbrenner because he will do ANYTHING to get a World Series Champsion....but at the same time, I hate what he has done to free agency and what he has done to that farm system.

I do not think that they were the only fools willing to hire Clement and give him a similar deal. Are they desperate? Sure they are... Let me see... Pavano out for the year... Hughes out as well....K IGAWA (should be sent back to Japan because he is not a ML pitcher). Karsten out as well with a broken bone. They only recently have Pettite, Mussina, and Wang for the first time this year pitching in their rotation together since they were all out on the DL. Their minor league is not depleated but too young yet to make the jump from AAA or AA to the majors (except for Hughes but see what happened to him). Their farm system is rated as one of the best and I just forgot that Humberto Sanchez is also out for the year with an injury.

What is a team to do when they can't count on their farm system because they are either too inexperience or they are out on the DL? You only have two options:

1- You start looking for a trade
2- You sign a free agent.

Option 1 is not there because of the currrent situation in baseball. Who is willing to depart with MLB pitchers today? Is that real in this day in age? Now whomever trades MLB caliver pitchers today (by caliver I mean guys who can be considered a number 3, 2, or in a team) is the real foo.

So it goes back to option 2. How many free agents pitchers are out there? Well, everyone knows that there is only one --- Clements. The Yanks made their pitch to him and he accepted. As to the money, I heard that Boston and Houston were both willing to do the same deal but felt that they did not need Roger at this point. Houston wanted to wait to see if they could be competitive in their division. They did not want to allocate that money if they were not going to make a run to the division so they told Roger to wait. Boston also told Roger to wait because they are doing so good that they thought that they may not need him and commit all the money to him. The Yanks, on the other hand, had a greater need because they saw how fragile their starting pitching has been since the beginning of the season and the problem had escalated to their bullpen because the bullpen guys had to cover for the rookies that did not last 5 innings in a game. The Yanks had thrown about 4 to 5 rookies in their rotation this year to no avail. So it made sense for them and Roger to do this deal.

Now are the Yanks fool to throw money to Roger Clement at 28M for one year in proprated mode? Roger Clement is an established pitcher who can give your money worth to any team. Can we ask as well if Boston were fools to post 51M for an unproven pitcher like Matsusaka? It all depends how you look at it and what are the needs of the team. Right now the Yanks starting pitching is not together after being injury proned and as a consequence the bullpen has been overworked.

What would you have done if were you in charge of the organization? Would you have thrown the season away and wait till next year or would you have put the money and let the team have a chance to win? This is why Yankees fan love Steinbrener because he has no problem in putting money into his team and to the other teams (luxury tax). Other owners think very hard and long before making a commiment to their team. Steinbrener just wants to win at any cost.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Clemens also brings fans to the seats and increases sales of Clemens' Yankees' merchandise. If he can get 15 or more wins this year, that's 15 or more wins than they might have had otherwise.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Clemens also brings fans to the seats and increases sales of Clemens' Yankees' merchandise. If he can get 15 or more wins this year, that's 15 or more wins than they might have had otherwise.
I think if the Yankees lost every game it would still be a full stadium. I know Id pay to watch that!:D

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005

Don't hate George for what he's done to Free Agency... He's done nothing wrong, if MLB would make the rules the way they should be , that would not be an issue.
IF MLB allows teams to spend as much money as they want on players, until thay actually make a real salary cap, I don't have a problem with George spending his money.
And I'm not a Yankee fan either.....

Jimbo
Go Tigers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts