Cleveland and Columbus ohio locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Is there a place that gets Cleveland and columbus locals ? Was thinking of " moving " and want both locals if possible

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There may be somewhere that gets some significantly viewed channels from the other market, but not the entire lineup.

Your best option would be to get one via satellite and one via antenna (if you are close enough to one of the markets) using the AM-21 to integrate antenna signal into your receiver.

With an antenna setup along with my dish, I get Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Flint locals all integrated right into my receiver/guide.

Reactions: Jimbo
I live near pittsburgh. I get pittsburgh on cable local cbs has west virginia news at 530pm.
Was hoping i could find a place that had at least sv for both.

Yea i know. Cleveland has longer news but Columbus is closer

[QUOTI="mikedz4, post: 3465134, member: 12651"]Yea i know. Cleveland has longer news but Columbus is closer

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App![/QUOTE]
What Is your OTA antenna situation ?

I can only get pittsburgh and wheeling/steubenville locals. Well i live in an apartment and can only use an indoor antenna and only get 4 channels 1 Nbc and 3 pbs stations.

I live near pittsburgh. I get pittsburgh on cable local cbs has west virginia news at 530pm.
Cable has different rules when it comes to what channels they can offer, i.e. those from neighboring cities/markets.

As I mentioned above, Dish won't give you channels from multiple markets. Using an antenna to pick up one market and telling Dish you live in a different market is about the only option you have, but in your case, it doesn't sound doable. I am in the Dayton OH market and also get Cincinnati's locals via antenna.

[QUOTI="mikedz4, post: 3465134, member: 12651"]Yea i know. Cleveland has longer news but Columbus is closer

You live near Pittsburgh, but Columbus is closer than Cleveland?

He probably lives closer to Wheeling or between Pittsburgh and Wheeling (especially if he says Columbus is closer, but even then, it's about equal) based on what his local cableco provides.

I live 40 miles west of downtown Pittsburgh and 25 miles north of wheeling

40 miles almost rules out using an indoor antenna to pick up channels. The (2) stations you do pick up with your antenna are from Wheeling, I presume ? I just checked something based on your 40/25 numbers and the NBC station makes sense - you're only (2) miles away from it's broadcast tower. Is the PBS station channel 45 ?

Yeah 45. Although sometimes i get 44

Looking at TV Fool for your "area", channels 9 and 45 are pretty much 180º apart, so you're picking one of them up with one side of your antenna and the other with the back-side. I don't remember the distance now but I thought 45 was 30+ miles away, which is pretty impressive to get with an indoor antenna.

DISH doesn't do SV locals, but Directv does. I have 3 of them. Many people have SV locals on Directv - just rarely is it HD and rarely is it truly ALL of the SV locals you could/should get.

Iirc, SV are not allowed to be HD unless there is no local channel with the same network affiliation.

Or if the market that the SV channels come from is HD-only. (Look at Brattleboro, VT - Boston DMA, all Burlington, VT stations are SV. Burlington, VT is HD-only, so all locals in that county are HD.)

The idea that the HD can't be shown in a SV market is the dumbest thing since the idea that DMAs should be implemented. Why should I pay to get something in SD when I can get it HD for free? I suggest the OP get am AM21 and good antenna anyway. Subchannels and all locals no matter the weather and contract negotiation status AND all, well most, HD primaries).

Reactions: Jimbo
Iirc, SV are not allowed to be HD unless there is no local channel with the same network affiliation.

Well, THATS stupid, whats the purpose of getting a SVd channel if you can't watch it in HD like the rest of your programming, thats like offering you the channel and then penalizing you for having it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts