Client for Genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kenneth_Davis

Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hi everyone,

I just moved using the movers package and when the came they said they could not run 9 feeds thru a single cable. I currently have an HR34 and 2 HR 24 and capable of recording nine things at once. As I love in an apartment I didn't want the cable to run along the base boards through out house. As I don't really need that much functionality I agreed to let them swap out the second HR 24 with a client box. Right before they installed it, I was informed
That it would cost 99.00. I didn't do it. Does anyone know why they would charge 99 for a client as well as if I used movers connection should I have been available for free to get a client?

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I just moved using the movers package and when the came they said they could not run 9 feeds thru a single cable. I currently have an HR34 and 2 HR 24 and capable of recording nine things at once. As I love in an apartment I didn't want the cable to run along the base boards through out house. As I don't really need that much functionality I agreed to let them swap out the second HR 24 with a client box. Right before they installed it, I was informed
That it would cost 99.00. I didn't do it. Does anyone know why they would charge 99 for a client as well as if I used movers connection should I have been available for free to get a client?

Thank you

The swap from the HR24 to the Client is considered an Upgrade, thus the $99 for the client.

As for how your getting 9 streams when the SWM your PROBABLY using is a SWM8 switch, UNLESS you actually had a SWM 16.

Are you Sure you had all 9 streams working at the same time ?

The only way to have an HR34 and two HR24s working correctly (9 tuners) is to use an SWM16 using two outputs with a max of 8 tuners on each connection. It can't be done any other way. So I don't think you are reporting the correct situation.

It's possible he has one of the tuners disabled.

At my old house I had two lines running into what i believe would be a swm 16. The set up at the new place is a swm into what looks like an 8 way splitter. I just wanted to make sure they were not trying to do less work and make more money.

The installer wanted to hook up all the receivers and then the genie and the only way for him to complete that was to install a second coax from the dish to the swm. I did not want two wires running from the dish throughout the house to the swm in the media box in the master closet. They installed one line so now I only have 8 tuners available.

So if a customer wanted a genie with 4 clients it would cost over $700 if the genie is 299 and the clients are 99 each? I wish they would have told me that when I signed up for the movers package as I would have asked for one for free.

An SWM16 will only work with four lines from the dish to the SWM16 (not two), and then two lines out of the SWM16, with a maximum of eight tuners on each one, so you must be mistaken about the setup in the old house. If you had nine tuners active, you must have had an SWM16, and that means there must have been FOUR cables from the dish to the SWM16. If the SWM16 was placed outside, then there would have been two cables into the house from the SWM16. The recommended configuration would have one of those cables driving the HR34, and the other connected to a four-way SWM splitter driving the two HR24s and the power inserter.
It sounds to me like you and the installer for the new house were not communicating very well. If you needed the SWM16 to be in the media closet he would need to run four cables to there from the dish. If you insisted on only one cable from the dish, then there would be a single cable from the dish to a splitter and then you would need to run one of the HR24s in single-tuner mode, which sounds like what you have. With the limitations you apparently placed on the installer, he did not have any alternative.
As far as the costs of the genie and client are concerned, you are on the mark with the "list" prices. Many people get the setup for much less, and as you say the movers connection is the best time to get a deal if you are an existing customer.

If the installer planned to put the swm16 outside then he would only need to run 1 more cable to the media closet, i know sticking the switch on the roof is a terrible idea, but if the cx wouldnt allow anything else, well im getting my install done lol. Id find somewhere to hide it. Otherwise all are correct 4 wires (or two dual cables) from the dish to the media closet. Perhaps there is dual there now as an extra line, and the tech stated he needed to run an additional dual line, which would also have been correct. Either way OP is pretty much out of options, it has to be done, if you refuse having more wiring done to use your existing boxes, try to work with billing for a 99$ credit to cover your "upgrade"

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, as I posted, with the SWM16 outside the OP would only need two cables to the media closet. If he is only willing to have one cable, then he's limited to eight tuners. Nothing the installer could do will change that.
Like you, I don't like putting the SWM16 outside either. All those extra connectors (even though they are "weatherproof") exposed to the weather.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts