Clone C: Drive

Spatch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Northeast, PA
I was wondering if anyone can help me? I recently purchased a larger hard drive for my PC and I am trying to use Nortons Ghost to clone my C: drive. I would like to keep all the settings and don't want to reinstall Windows XP and start fresh.

So far I have... Set the new drive to slave and copied the original drive over. Problem is I can not set this drive letter as C, it will not give me the option. I set it as G (I already have an E drive and a DVD burner which is F). Now when I disconnect my original C drive and set the new drive (G) to master it will not boot into windows. I have tried to boot using the XP setup disk and also have tried fixboot with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Is it because I don't have it named C? Is there a way to change it to C? Should I be using a different program to clone my drive?

Thanks for any help.

When using ghost you will want to clone the drive then change it from slave to master. You don't want Windows to give it a drive letter or you will be screwed. Normally when I clone I boot to CD so windows is never in the picture.

You should be able to change the C drive to say Z and the slave to C and then swap right guys?

Until my old system died I just had two additional drives that were larger and stored stuff in them, it worked out fine.

Ghost is great. Hook up the two drives. Clone them. Then unhook your older drive and put the bigger drive as your master drive. Boot the system with just one drive and make sure everything is fine. Once you are confident everything is fine then boot the system with the older drive as a slave drive and then format the older drive in windows and you're good to go.