C'Mon Son @ D* and E*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SupaFresh208

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Queensbridge, NY
I joined D* back in June of 09 with happiness. I'm still relatively satisfied with them now its just I want more premiums in HD. If I were to cancel my bill today I would be charged with a $320 ETF which I dont want to do, but will if I have too. Before D* in my city TWC is all we had before Fios rolled out and hasen't been to my building yet :mad:. So when my building superintendent okay'd satellite I was hype. Initially I wanted E* mainly for the price but there promotion was for 6months at the time and they were unwilling to match D*s 12month promotion. I pretty much begged for it and they said No but thanks for your interest sir. After signing on to the 24month marriage that is D* I didn't realize that there Cinemax package only contains one Channel in HD. Sure you can count Cinemax HD East and Cinemax HD West as two seperate channels but then you'd be an idiot.

So I called D* about it and the rep said yea there's a difference and I said no there is not and for $12.95 why am I paying for "3" channels which in actuality is only two MoreMax being the other (not in HD)? Upon hearing about D12's expansion of channels by Stone Cold I'm not really looking forward to it. Sure the WGN is something that tickles my fancy but C'mon Son!

With my current setup I'm paying about 77 with all the premiums and if you add my RR bill thats about $130. I'm thinking about going back to TWC and getting TiVo and that will cost about $150 a month. But then Id have to ship out the dish back to D* which is a hassle because I live in a building. Does anyone know if D* will come and uninstall it?

This isn't a rant or anything my service with D* has been good just a little misleading or misinterpreted whichever one probably both. I'm still salty at E* only because I wanted their service and they refused me which I understand but damn one month later the promotion that I was asking for they granted after I signed with D*:rolleyes:.

I joined D* back in June of 09 with happiness. I'm still relatively satisfied with them now its just I want more premiums in HD. If I were to cancel my bill today I would be charged with a $320 ETF which I dont want to do, but will if I have too. Before D* in my city TWC is all we had before Fios rolled out and hasen't been to my building yet :mad:. So when my building superintendent okay'd satellite I was hype. Initially I wanted E* mainly for the price but there promotion was for 6months at the time and they were unwilling to match D*s 12month promotion. I pretty much begged for it and they said No but thanks for your interest sir. After signing on to the 24month marriage that is D* I didn't realize that there Cinemax package only contains one Channel in HD. Sure you can count Cinemax HD East and Cinemax HD West as two seperate channels but then you'd be an idiot.

So I called D* about it and the rep said yea there's a difference and I said no there is not and for $12.95 why am I paying for "3" channels which in actuality is only two MoreMax being the other (not in HD)? Upon hearing about D12's expansion of channels by Stone Cold I'm not really looking forward to it. Sure the WGN is something that tickles my fancy but C'mon Son!

With my current setup I'm paying about 77 with all the premiums and if you add my RR bill thats about $130. I'm thinking about going back to TWC and getting TiVo and that will cost about $150 a month. But then Id have to ship out the dish back to D* which is a hassle because I live in a building. Does anyone know if D* will come and uninstall it?

This isn't a rant or anything my service with D* has been good just a little misleading or misinterpreted whichever one probably both. I'm still salty at E* only because I wanted their service and they refused me which I understand but damn one month later the promotion that I was asking for they granted after I signed with D*:rolleyes:.

I certainly won't discount anything Stonecold says, but until a channel has launched, don't assume anything. I would wait a couple more months if I was you. By the end of April, at the latest I think, there is going to be a lot more national hd available, including premiums. This is just my opinion, of course. The longer you wait, the less your early termination fee would be.

I would stay with Directv and get TWC to lower that RR bill.

I called TWC and told them I was considering a switch to AT&T DSL and they dropped my RR bill to $29.95/month. I really didn't want to try DSL again but the incentive AT&T offered was worth considering for a 2 or 3 month trial.

I tried TWC's TV service and was disappointed at the cost per DVR. I was also with Dish and likewise disappointed with DVR fees being excessive. I now have 3 HD DVRs at a cost much less than either of those. I once considered the TIVOs with TWC but that is an expensive initial expense and cable is lagging in HD channel roll-outs as well.

One thing I like about having TWC high speed only is the lack of taxes; if you subscribe to TV service, they'll tack-on a boatload of taxes and fees to your bill. Then they'll turn around and ask Uncle Sam to tax the satellite companies more, crying about lost revenue. Same thing for the phone companies; no Land line here! It was a real eye-opener to compare bills and see what true subscriber and access fees truly are.

Last edited:
Time Warner raised my RR to 55.95 taxes included. I was pissed, to say the least. I called them up and told them I was not paying that and that they where either going to lower it back to 29.95 or I was going to cancel. They came back at 44.95, I told her where do I take my box back, and how soon can you shut the service off. Her next reply out of her mouth was 19.95 a month including taxes for the highest level of RR.

I hate TW, but 55.95 for RR is ridiculous...
Brian

Thanks for the feedback...and I am going to wait a couple of months for D12 to launch or even until June when I'm one year into my contract with D* but for the short-term I'm tired of comparing so much too so little. I'm not sure where you guys live but TWC in my area has it all as well as FIOS. Problem is TWC is available but also costs $20 more. Its a scam all across the boards its about which one you can live with though.

When I signed up for TWC RR I was promised 12months of RR Turbo for 29.95. I paid that price twice and since then it went up to 45.95. Now I asked before hand was this a promotion and he said yes. I made sure it was a 12month promotion before I okay'd it. That was a load of bull as well. In my area the cable HD has it all but from reading online they said their cablecards are flimsy and don't last long with TiVo. I hope that isn't true.

C'Mon D* the picture in HD is great but I have no form of comparison because I didn't have HD with TWC before. But as it stands the picture is great I just wish there were more of them to go around. If they can do 3D channels then they can get some damn premiums as well. 2007 part Deux with no promises this time.

THE DISH STAYS

SupaFresh208 you don't have to send back the dish, you can do whatever you want with it, but you probably do have to send the back the receivers if they're leased.

Thanks for the feedback...and I am going to wait a couple of months for D12 to launch or even until June when I'm one year into my contract with D* but for the short-term I'm tired of comparing so much too so little. I'm not sure where you guys live but TWC in my area has it all as well as FIOS. Problem is TWC is available but also costs $20 more. Its a scam all across the boards its about which one you can live with though.

When I signed up for TWC RR I was promised 12months of RR Turbo for 29.95. I paid that price twice and since then it went up to 45.95. Now I asked before hand was this a promotion and he said yes. I made sure it was a 12month promotion before I okay'd it. That was a load of bull as well. In my area the cable HD has it all but from reading online they said their cablecards are flimsy and don't last long with TiVo. I hope that isn't true.

C'Mon D* the picture in HD is great but I have no form of comparison because I didn't have HD with TWC before. But as it stands the picture is great I just wish there were more of them to go around. If they can do 3D channels then they can get some damn premiums as well. 2007 part Deux with no promises this time.

Call TWC and tell them you want to drop RR. They will send you to a retention agent and you'll get offered all kinds of deals. I did that with Comcast for years. Then just hang with it and enjoy the savings for a while. All the cable companies play that game. Then just stop comparing everything. It sounds like you're only unhappy because you're aware of other things out on the market. You're already saving $20 a month. That will buy another premium channel with change left over. If you get additional savings from TWC you'll be way ahead. The longer you hold out, the lower your termination fee will be, and just maybe FIOS will come to your building by the time you're ready to switch too.

My last conversation with TWC was pleasant and honest; they actually admitted that they couldn't beat Directv on 3 HD DVRs.

As far as the TWC HD quality, it was no better than Directv 2.5 years ago but ironically, I liked their SD quality better than Directv at the time but that's improved with Directv since then. The HD quality of Dish Network was once said to better than Directv but I can say the reverse is true for me. Dish was better when I switched from Directv but Directv was better after I went back.

Occasionally, you can find someone at Directv that is honestly meaning to try to make your Directv experience a better one. I once laughed at one CSR for saying that and had to go out my way to say he was right. Some will say that is your right, to call until until you get a satisfactory answer (or get tired of calling).

12 months is a good time to start talking to Directv about the future because they know you can downgrade your programming without violating your terms of service at that point.

I've had disappointments with both Dish & Directv but I've found more resolution with Directv than Dish or TWC. TWC said no contract but after I canceled TV service after 30 day trial, they sent me a $250 install bill that took two months to get removed. Installation was supposed to be free. But all providers will promise many things that you find not exactly true after the fact and you never get to talk with those people again; you call back and the first question they ask is, "are you a existing customer?", then you get transferred to another department!

I'd just prefer to sign on with the most reasonable and honest provider that has what I want and fulfill my contract and stay month to month and live without the contract. But in reality, they know that, they find ways to keep hooking us into another 24 month contract. Those should really go away!

So for the moment, I'm trying to get to that point where I can say, "Make me happy or I'll find another provider who can". Don't say, "I'm raising your rates just because I can or else I collect my ETF".

I certainly won't discount anything Stonecold says, but until a channel has launched, don't assume anything. I would wait a couple more months if I was you. By the end of April, at the latest I think, there is going to be a lot more national hd available, including premiums. This is just my opinion, of course. The longer you wait, the less your early termination fee would be.

As I stated before that is the offical public list of HD channels comming Which is about oh 3 or so months old. they are problamely going to surpise us with all kinds of new hd other then the ones I mentioned.

That list was just the ones dtv has confrimed ok to talk about if a customer calls in about new hd.

As I stated before that is the offical public list of HD channels comming Which is about oh 3 or so months old. they are problamely going to surpise us with all kinds of new hd other then the ones I mentioned.

That list was just the ones dtv has confrimed ok to talk about if a customer calls in about new hd.

Stone, can you link me to your list?

Thanks,

John

I'm sure they will get those channels you mentioned and many more at some point, but you know well that Directv is tight lipped about their launch schedule for new channels. I don't blame them for that, after the ESPN2HD fiasco.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)