CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So you are saying, in Turners continuous decline in stock price, they are going to end up charging Dish more, than if Dish were to just automatically accept their offer? I strongly disagree. Of course their price will go up, but thanks to this takedown, it will not go up as much.
Dish and Turner will eventually see eye-to-eye at some price point that they can both agree to...it's inevitable...it won't be as much as Turner wants and it'll be more than Dish was paying them...it's called negotiations and compromise. In the end, we (the subscribers) will also be paying more. It's how it all works...it's how I've watched it work for close to a decade now with Dish...

Yes, but if dish did not go through with the black out, they would have had to agree to Turners even higher terms. Of course prices will increase. That will never change. No matter who you are with, but thanks to the blackout, dish makes that increase a little easier to take.

Don't know that the blackout makes the increase easier to take...Turner pulled the channels, which they're entitled to do in a carriage fee dispute...so essentially Turner is losing money by not negotiating under their present contract via extension. That's called a bargaining tactic...get viewers to put pressure on Dish to put the channels back up by agreeing to Turner's demands. Regardless, we, the subscribers will end up paying more...no way around it and the blackout doesn't make it seem any more paletable to me...your mileage may vary...

Dish seems to forget that we are still in a recession....
May be is time that cable/sat provider exercising its power. need to group channels by needs and popularity of their customers. according to Wikipedia and other sources. USA and NICK is current of the top of basic channel.
ESPN, History, TBS and TNT round out the Top 5 : by thewrap.com
Maybe the first option to drop completely in DISH (If i was charlie) is ESPN/Disney package over Turner packages. AT125 and higher, cost $10.00 less.

I'm with you......I lost my job 5 years ago, after 30 years of service.........no warning, no severance, nothing. In fact didn't get paid for unused vacation, or even get the matching portion of my 401k. Was fortunate enough to get another job quickly, but with a large pay cut, and no increase to speak of since. Dish seems to forget that we are still in a recession....

I'm curious, was it legal for them to let you go without giving you your unpaid vacation or portion of 401k? At what point are we not in a recession? The reason I question that is because I hear people talk about how bad times are yet but all I see when I drive from town to town are businesses looking for employees. You said you were fortunate to get another job quickly but I actually think that's pretty normal since there are plenty of jobs to be had.

I think you're one of the few that was actually willing to take a job right away for lesser pay. What usually happens when a person loses their job is that they find that they can make just as much money collecting unemployment as they can starting at a new job. I have a friend who is doing this right now and drives me crazy. He's basically just holding out until he gets offered a job that will pay him what he wants. This may not be the same situation where you live but I've seen numerous cases like it here.

When I lost my job with Dish, in Febuary, I decided to go back to school. I am living off my retirement from the Army and the GI Benefits to get by monthly. Funny part about it, I make more money doing this, then when I was with dish, and I am bettering myself for future careers, as the Army will not only pay for my Bachelors, but will also pay me for an additional 12 months towards my MBA. So if I can buckle down and knock out as many classes as possible, I can get my masters in 4 years, from nothing, and have a much better pay in the long run. Down side, I think my hair is starting to fallout from stress of overloading my school schedule, and maintaining that 4.0. I was a 2.3 student in high school. It's rough, but it's all about will power.

Reactions: Scherrman
was it legal for them to let you go without giving you your unpaid vacation or portion of 401k?
Not sure about the legality of it, but it may simply be two things, a) a really sh*tty company (ethically and/or morally) and b) they take the chance that no one will fight it. Both vacation and 401k matching money are not legally obligated to be paid, so changing the rules whenever they see fit may allow them to get away with it.

Maybe the first option to drop completely in DISH (If i was charlie) is ESPN/Disney package over Turner packages. AT125 and higher, cost $10.00 less.

To each his own...they could go ahead & get rid of Fox News & MS-NBC and I wouldn't even notice (and the world would be a better place)....but if they dropped ESPN, I'd switch tomorrow & eat the ETF.

But the world would not be a better place, if ESPN was dropped according to you, so why would it be better for channels others want to be gone? I won't miss them but I hope they come back for those that will miss them.

Why are the ratings for CNN and MSNBC so close still? You figure CNN should show a big decrease.

I always though the ratings are just a scam anyways.
I don't really think all those people are watching FOX also. Its all too fishy.

What usually happens when a person loses their job is that they find that they can make just as much money collecting unemployment as they can starting at a new job. I have a friend who is doing this right now and drives me crazy. He's basically just holding out until he gets offered a job that will pay him what he wants.

I don't know anyone who went on unemployment and got "just as much money" as they did from their old job - but I do know some people who lost their jobs. They were able to barely scrape by on the unemployment benefit. Why would they take a job that paid less than the benefit, unless they were fixing to run out?

Reactions: Benyth
I've never rec'd unemployment but did lose a job as a result of "corporate downsizing" and looked into unemployment, just in case. Based on my income, pre-job loss, I qualified for the maximum amount allowed and I'm not sure we could have, ummm, "adjusted". Mind you, if it was no job/income vs what unemployment paid, I certainly would have taken it but it would have never been a case of sitting at home doing nothing and collecting benefits.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
When I lost my job with Dish, in Febuary, I decided to go back to school. I am living off my retirement from the Army and the GI Benefits to get by monthly. Funny part about it, I make more money doing this, then when I was with dish, and I am bettering myself for future careers, as the Army will not only pay for my Bachelors, but will also pay me for an additional 12 months towards my MBA. So if I can buckle down and knock out as many classes as possible, I can get my masters in 4 years, from nothing, and have a much better pay in the long run. Down side, I think my hair is starting to fallout from stress of overloading my school schedule, and maintaining that 4.0. I was a 2.3 student in high school. It's rough, but it's all about will power.[/QUOTE]

I worked in a steel mill til I got drafted. Used the GI Bill to go to electronics school. It's a great thing. Changed my life and had a wonderful career doing what I liked. You earned those benefits, use them.

Reactions: bhawley and ChadT41
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts