CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've been a big fan of CNN in the past. For many years this has been one of the main sources of news in our house.

However, I am pretty disappointed with what CNN has become lately: an infotainment channel obsessed with one topic at a time, a news reality TV show of sorts. CNN has such a huge network of correspondents all over the world - what a waste! It still has some great programming. I like Anthony Bourdain and Farid Zakaria. But most of the programming on CNN is now just a chewing gum, not news, IMHO.

Isn't cnn one of the channels that would have to be sold if the Comcast time warner merger happen? Could this have anything at all to do with that?

I watch CNN for the coverage overseas. CNN puts the camera in the midst of the action like no other network. Now, if only we could catch Wolf Blitzer with a smile on his face. Not sure the action is programed into his facial muscle DNA!

Ted Turner was interviewed last summer about CNN and Turner. Said he does not know whether to cry or puke when he sees what they did to it. I remember when it was a news station that did a fairly good job with the feeds from little markets all over the country (and world). No more.

Here is the short of it. Both sides seem to agree that a deal will ultimately be reached, meaning that we (Dish subscribers) will ultimately pay more for service, which makes me wonder: Why go through the hassle and bad publicity of a blackout if you’re just going to hike rates in the end anyway?

I do not watch any of the blacked out channels, except occasional Cartoon Network and Boomerang, so to me it is not a big loss. We are not going to pay less while the channels blacked out.

I would rather have Disnay XD - HD instead.

Reactions: gasman882001
This just happened to me watching Adult Swim. They posted a website (dishstandsforyou.com) with the following info:

Our contract with Turner Networks (Turner) has expired and they have removed CNN, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, CNN en Español, Headline News, truTV, and Turner Classic Movies from DISH’s channel lineup

what the heck?

WOW, Just watched the video of Joe Clayton apologizing for the removal of channels.

Atleast when Charlie was CEO, you could actually believe him. Joe Clayton looked worse than a politician

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
Indy, you want to know a secret. CNN joined our platoon while I was in Iraq. We were on a normal patrol, and they told us to shoot down the roads to make it look like simething was going on. This was to make it look like they were "in the midst of the action". Lost a lot of respect that day

Reactions: ds2600 and Nominal
Here is the short of it. Both sides seem to agree that a deal will ultimately be reached, meaning that we (Dish subscribers) will ultimately pay more for service, which makes me wonder: Why go through the hassle and bad publicity of a blackout if you’re just going to hike rates in the end anyway?

I do not watch any of the blacked out channels, except occasional Cartoon Network and Boomerang, so to me it is not a big loss. We are not going to pay less while the channels blacked out.

I would rather have Disnay XD - HD instead.

I have been saying that all along. I don't care if its Directv, Comcast, Time Warner or Dish. They all cry about how much they care for their customers and they are fighting to keep costs down, yet every year end up raising rates anyways citing rising programming costs.

For once I would like for any provider to come out and say they are not raising rates this year because they where able to negotiate better rates.

What the programming providers are really crying about is the fact that they want to keep "THEIR" costs down by getting a better rate, until it comes time to raise rates on everyone.

If a new contract is negotiated today, the rates go up for the provider immediately, where it will be several months till customers see an adjustment in their bills.

Claude. Did you forget dish locking prices... For two years? They are the only company to EVER for that

Reactions: ncted
Indy, you want to know a secret. CNN joined our platoon while I was in Iraq. We were on a normal patrol, and they told us to shoot down the roads to make it look like simething was going on. This was to make it look like they were "in the midst of the action". Lost a lot of respect that day
Now that is pathetic. Thank you for your service...

We'll never know if a pretty blonde white girl goes missing if we lose HLN!

Mitt walked right into the bear trap. Stop blaming Crowley for that.

You do know Candy Crowley later recanted what she said, right? Besides, moderators are supposed to remain NEUTRAL! Got it!\

Isn't cnn one of the channels that would have to be sold if the Comcast time warner merger happen? Could this have anything at all to do with that?
Time warner entertainment split from time warner cable awhile ago

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

ESPN is the #1 cable/sat channel. If Fox News went off the air, most people wouldn't care. If ESPN went off the air, there would massive drops in sub numbers.

Check your "What's hot" app on Dish. I have it through DirecTV, and had it through Dish. A Fox News show is like 95% of the time in the top five, more like the top three. ESPN is no where near that.

The people who criticize Fox News ALMOST ALWAYS NEVER WATCH IT! So where may I ask are your facts? Some heavily edited online article about it? Probably so.

Claude. Did you forget dish locking prices... For two years? They are the only company to EVER for that
Dish raised their rates two-yr fold right before "freezing" them.
The people who criticize Fox News ALMOST ALWAYS NEVER WATCH IT! So where may I ask are your facts? Some heavily edited online article about it? Probably so.
This thread is about Turner channels being temporarily lost. Fox isn't owned by Turner (yet?). Please, stay on-topic.

Everyone is so off base here. Both DTV and Dish have slim profit margins that remain relatively steady. (I'm not including Time Warner or Comcast because they have revenue streams that are unrelated to the MVPD arena.) So the upward pressure HAS to be coming from the channel providers, so when the MVPD is "fighting to keep costs down", the end result is the rates go up $3 instead of $5, for example. Just as the local channels ask for ridiculous increases during negotiation, I'm sure the national cable channel owners do the same.

I can almost guarantee Dish is going to have a significant rate hike already this coming Feb due to the newly signed agreement with Disney/ESPN alone...but with death and taxes certainty, people will say "how come my rates went up when you supposedly saved money on the Turner dispute."

Reactions: STDog and TheKrell
The hardware price increase I'm guessing was needed, considering the hardware price they raised was the hopper. And that was when they were sending updates every few days. So you still had a huge savings on the locked in programming orice. If you had a 211, you were not affected for two years. Hell, if you had a 722 you were not affected for 2 years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)