Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
From TVWEEK.COM

By Michele Greppi
CNN won an injunction late Friday to prevent any agency from limiting the cable news network's ability to cover any aspect of the Hurricane Katrina story.

CNN asked for the injunction Friday afternoon as it filed a lawsuit against the Federal Emergency Management Agency in federal district court in Houston. A hearing was scheduled for Saturday morning to determine whether the injunction would be made permanent.

CNN argued that barring reporters from covering the body recovery effort would constitute prior restraint in violation of the First Amendment.

In an e-mail to CNN staffers, CNN News Group President Jim Walton said the lawsuit was "in response to official statements earlier today that news media would be excluded from covering the victim recovery process in New Orleans and surrounding areas on the suggestion that what is reported may offend viewers' or victims' sensibilities."

Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, the three-star general in commanding the relief effort in New Orleans, said at a Friday press conference that journalists no longer will be embedded with the military mortuary teams recovering bodies from areas hit by Hurricane Katrina.

It was unclear whether the announcement was a preamble to restrictions on photographer access to areas in which corpses are likely to be found.

One network news executive said any limitations on the press in the devastated area would be unacceptable to the press and "the American public."

Shortly after the press conference, Fox VP of News Gathering John Stack said his initial interpretation of the general's comments was that he was appealing to news organizations to take their cues from the protocol followed by the military in the removal of bodies and notification of kin.

"I think everybody will be scrutinizing this [intent] in the next 24 hours," Mr. Stack said after the press conference, in which plans for regular press conferences with recovery officials were sketched out.

The Federal Emergency Management Authority has requested that the media not photograph the dead in the disaster area, and there were reports earlier in the week that FEMA had been begun rejecting photographers' requests to accompany rescue boats on their rescue and recovery rounds.

Most network news executives said no reports of such problems have crossed their desks. Furthermore, they said, they were confident that they could find other boats, or space on boats with rescue workers.

"There isn't some overall effort to suppress us reporting on the dead," ABC "World News Tonight" executive producer Jon Banner said Thursday, when he took the tack that his counterparts at broadcast and cable news organizations did on Thursday.

TV news executives said they intend to continue to exercise their own judgment and make decisions about whether or how to show corpses on a case-by-case basis.

"We try to do it in the context of the helplessness of the situation," Mr. Stack said on Thursday, when he said Fox News had not run into any restrictions.

In his internal e-mail, Mr. Walton said: "As seen most recently from war zones in Afghanistan and Iraq, from tsunami-ravaged South Asia and from Hurricane Katrina's landfall along the Gulf, CNN has shown that it is capable of balancing vigorous reporting with respect for private concerns. Government officials cannot be allowed to hinder the free flow of information to the public, and CNN will not let such a decision stand without challenge."
E-mail to a Friend Format for Printing

Government officials cannot be allowed to hinder the free flow of information to the public, and CNN will not let such a decision stand without challenge."

They are trying to do the same as they have done in the Gulf WAR. All news reports will go through our pipeline and only if it is in our best interest reporters will have access to it. It seems like they are trying to cover their asses.

I need to side with CNN on this one.

The press should be allowed to cover the news, no one should be telling media what they can and can not show when it comes to news.

Do I want to see dead bodies on the news? No, but I don't want the govenment filtering out the news and telling me what I can and can not see.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I need to side with CNN on this one.

The press should be allowed to cover the news, no one should be telling media what they can and can not show when it comes to news.

Do I want to see dead bodies on the news? No, but I don't want the govenment filtering out the news and telling me what I can and can not see.
Unfortuantly Scott You are very very naive...Guess who controls the broadcast licenses THE FCC!! If you have ever had the oppurtunity to see another countries newscast you would be surprised how much "news" is actually held back from the american public!!!

i don't have a problem with them turning down requests to go recover bodies with the workers who are doing the job. however, if cnn or fox wanted to get their own boat and go looking for dead bodies to photograph, that is up to them and they should let them.

"No, but I don't want the govenment filtering out the news and telling me what I can and can not see."

They already do this. We only get to see what the government wants us to see.

Do you really need to disrespect the dead by putting the rotting bodies of peoples wives and childrens on TV? Truely disgusting. Let the reporters confirm the body count but there is no need to insult the families of the victims by airing pictures of their rotting corpses for ratings. Sickening.:mad:

RandallA said:
"No, but I don't want the govenment filtering out the news and telling me what I can and can not see."

They already do this. We only get to see what the government wants us to see.

That's funny, any filters are corporate not government.

As far as them filming bodies, I think it is in poor taste and highly disrespectful. How would you like the bloated corpse of one of your relatives used to bolster CNN's sagging ratings?

NightRyder

I think that is the risk of filtering or not letting reporters in. This administration maybe afraid of reporting the actual number of dead people because of the big miscalculation of goverment officials at the city, state and federal level. This is not a like an earthquake or a tsunami in which there is very little warning time to prepare. There was plenty of time better prepare but by the time it was over it was too late. The headcount is necessary to be reported as truly as possible. You do not want this to be concealed because of political motivation.

Sean Mota said:
I think that is the risk of filtering or not letting reporters in. This administration maybe afraid of reporting the actual number of dead people because of the big miscalculation of goverment officials at the city, state and federal level. This is not a like an earthquake or a tsunami in which there is very little warning time to prepare. There was plenty of time better prepare but by the time it was over it was too late. The headcount is necessary to be reported as truly as possible. You do not want this to be concealed because of political motivation.

If there's anyone that should be afraid of the body count, it's the criminally incompetent Mayor of New Orleans and Governor of Louisiana. It was the responsibility of local and state government to properly evacuate the city, not the Federal authorities.

NightRyder

Again I don't want to see that eaither, but CNN has the right under the consitution to go in and report the news.

I don't think CNN should get a boat pass and be able to ride along with the FEMA folks, but if CNN has their own boat then they should be able to go.

It is sad to see many of the things our founding fathers faught for to slowly erode away into nothing.

If you guys want to see real news, check out the EURONEWS channel on ExpressVu sometime.

I Cant blame CNN for wanting to see bodies!! we were told there would well over 10 thousand... But so far they have found far fewer than 500

juan said:
I Cant blame CNN for wanting to see bodies!! we were told there would well over 10 thousand... But so far they have found far fewer than 500

That's why the liberals are crying foul. Everything has become a vast right wing conspiracy to them. I really don't mind, it keeps them from examining the real reasons they lost the last two presidential elections.

NightRyder

Scott Greczkowski said:
I don't think CNN should get a boat pass and be able to ride along with the FEMA folks, but if CNN has their own boat then they should be able to go.

that is what i said in my post. if any news company wants their to get their own boat to go looking for dead bodies, all the power to them. but i don't think the govenment has to provide a taxi service for them.

I'm with Scott on this - CNN (or any news organization) should have unfettered access to whatever they deem newsworthy - as long as it doesn't hinder the rescue/recovery effort. But don't expect every gov't boat to have an embedded reporter along for the ride. Pay your own way, and sign a release if you are going into a dangerous area against advice.

The argument about someone seeing a dead relative on TV is a little overblown. They could always mosaic the face if necessary, but closeups aren't really necessary to get the info out anyway.

Sean Mota said:

You are wrong Sean. As a conservative republican and a member of my City's EOC I am very aware who is responsible for getting people out before it hits and I very much want the numbers reported and the body count placed directly on the murderers Nagin and Blancos' shoulders. "i couldnt get drivers for my busses" what a crock! I cant see any reason why the feds would want to cover that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)