Coax spec for conduit run underground

TLansberry

Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
We are building a new home and detached workshop buillding. We will be running satellite coax between the two buildings so I can watch TV in the workshop. There are 6 or 7 plastic conduit runs out of the workshop for electric service, telephone, and satellite coax. The coax will be run in its own conduit.

What spec should I be looking for when I purchase? Do I need underground rated even though its in conduit? DTV installer recommended 3GHZ rated but not quad shield. Do I want quad shield? RG6, RG59, RG11??? The run will be about 100ft between buildings.

I need to buy the coax soon so I can have install it while the ditch is open if possible. Thanks!

If it were me I would put in more than one run and plan for the future and not present. That way if in 5 yrs you need another run, its there. As far as spec RG-6 or RG-6U rated to 3Ghz should be fine.

We are building a new home and detached workshop buillding. We will be running satellite coax between the two buildings so I can watch TV in the workshop. There are 6 or 7 plastic conduit runs out of the workshop for electric service, telephone, and satellite coax. The coax will be run in its own conduit.

What spec should I be looking for when I purchase? Do I need underground rated even though its in conduit? DTV installer recommended 3GHZ rated but not quad shield. Do I want quad shield? RG6, RG59, RG11??? The run will be about 100ft between buildings.

I need to buy the coax soon so I can have install it while the ditch is open if possible. Thanks!
If you’re putting it in conduit, there’s no hurry to install the cable as long as you can access both ends of the conduit after the work is done and walls are finished (and you definitely should have that capability).

I did what you’re doing and used quad-shield with copper center conductor. The quad shielding isn’t really necessary underground since its purpose is to reduce interference from extraneous signals, but that’s not really a problem underground. The copper center conductor is a good investment, particularly if the cable will be carrying DC current, and satellite systems do. Solid copper costs a bit more and most people will tell you it isn’t necessary.

RG-11 would be serious overkill, cost much more and be harder to work with. Don’t even consider RG-59 for a new installation. In conduit, the underground variety is not needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)