Coax Splitter/Amplifier

I must apologize, it was stevo that said the tap to modem was the correct way, and it was he that I should have directed my comments too. Sorry about that.
Does not matter if if problem was solved by removing the splitter
The correct way when using a directional coupler is tap to modem for cable modem installs.
A good tech will tell you that 1 db behind each tv is ideal for sig strength.
Ideal sig leaving the tap (could be 8 value or 32 value) from "pole or ped" is atleast 14-16 db.
The average db tilt woul be 3 db in any cable system " if you know what a db tilt is". Now if the customer is getting a neg sig befor it even hits the splitter is not a good thing. For example commen sense would tell you the problem is probably a bad port at the tap, so you would change the face plate with the same value and number of ports.
But as i see from your past comments on other posts is that you are a know it all
who needs to have the last word.:D
I can care less what you think is right because i see that you really dont have a clue on some of the topics at hand. :eek:

Last edited:
Does not matter if if problem was solved by removing the splitter
The correct way when using a directional coupler is tap to modem for cable modem installs.

That makes no sense. The only reason you would use the tap port to the modem would be to LOWER the signal level. Removing the splitter, INCREASES the signal level. How can you reconcile your solution?

I have found that when people start making personal attacks they usually know they cannot support their positions in a civilized manner. You have tried to shame me into not responding. I am trying to understand your logic in recommending the poster lowers the signal level to solve his problem.

You posted a bunch of stuff about tap values, dB tilt (more commonly called frequency tilt, or did you mean dB loss?), and the ideal RF level for a TV to operate. NONE of which address this problem with the facts as we have been provide.

I would like to have an adult, productive conversation to help understand your position. If you can do that, great. If do not wish too, then say so.

Thats the problem Todd,
You dont understand :D
I will leave it at that.

You are not a bad guy ..You help others when you can. :up
I will also leave it at that :)

I will also add that you are very good with your literature :up :D

Last edited:
Give me a break, You have said nothing to understand. Being told to do something and understanding WHY you do it and when NOT to do it, are two different things.

You can patronize me all you want. After 25+ years of installing CATV, MATV, and SMATV I assure you, I have a complete understanding of Television signal distribution. I am not all that familiar with cable modems and I was hoping to learn something here. I guess not today.

I will leave it at that as well.

Everyone is talking about the signal levels but what about SNR levels? If your SNR level is below 30, your modem will keep disconnecting. You can check your levels on most modems by going to http://192.168.1.100

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech/5._Cable_Modems

"What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem? (#3412)
Downstream Power:
You generally want between -12db and +12db. Most modems are rated from -15 to +15. Anything less or more than that and you may have quality issues.

I personally prefer to not have less than -7db. If you want to raise your signal level a bit, check my troubleshooting and splitter section.

Downstream SNR:
This number is best over 30, but you may not have any problems with down to 25. Anything less and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.

See my "Downstream SNR" definition for more information on this.

Upstream Power:
The lower this number is, the better. If it is above 55, you may want to see if you can reconfigure your splitters. Anything above 57 is not good and should be fixed ASAP. (This is getting pretty close to not being able to connect.)

Upstream SNR:
Anything above 29 is considered good. The higher this number is, the better. If this number is below 25 and 29, you have a minute amount of noise leaking in somewhere. If it's anything less than 25, you want to get it fixed as you may have a lot of packet loss or slow transfer rates."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)