Coaxial Question rg-6 or rg-6Quad?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

auioexpert811

Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I was told that the new 5 LNB D* uses requires all coax cabling to be rg-6 Quad. And that rg-6 swept to 3.0ghz was not sufficeint. Can anybody shed some light? Thanks in advance!

I was told that the new 5 LNB D* uses requires all coax cabling to be rg-6 Quad. And that rg-6 swept to 3.0ghz was not sufficeint. Can anybody shed some light? Thanks in advance!

Good luck with that .....
RG-6 is the standard that D* started with many years back. I doubt that they are going to go out and change out all those homes...

I run RG6 for say, just because I don't have the RG6 quad available.
I've run several hundred feet without any trouble.

But then MY home, the run is only 20 ft if that to the main rec.

Some of the others can get into the differences between the two.

I am absolutley sure there is a reason for using the RG6 quad, so I'm not saying that you should NOT use it, just saying that I don't.

Jimbo

Lie. RG6Quad cable is pretty much the same as RG6 it has a thicker jacket.

Thanks grydlok,
I'm glad to hear that. I do know the rg6 quad was like $25 more a roll.

Jimbo

Quad just means that it has four layers of shield. It can potentially be more immune to outside interference, but I have never seen it. Signal loss is the same for both.

It's been my experience that you would really need a significant interference source in order to see or notice any difference between rg- and quad.

The only time I've HAD to use it was when I lived literally within a 1/4 mile of the Tower farm in town.

That farm carried 6 of 8 TV Stations and approximately 10 FM transmitters. Not to mention countless microwave relays, etc etc.

I could listen to one of the FM's on my old Maggot box console TV when it was off!!.

The quad helped a little but not enough. Moving worked better!

If I was buying a roll or two for my personal use, I'd use the Quad stuff. It's only $25 one time... and you will have the extra quality that, combined with good fittings, etc will make the overall life of your system that much more enjoyable.

If I was outfitting a fleet of trucks with RG6 for contracted installed, then I might look at cutting corners to save a ton.

If I was buying a roll or two for my personal use, I'd use the Quad stuff. It's only $25 one time... and you will have the extra quality that, combined with good fittings, etc will make the overall life of your system that much more enjoyable.

If I was outfitting a fleet of trucks with RG6 for contracted installed, then I might look at cutting corners to save a ton.

As long as RG6 is swept to 3ghz and is solid copper center there isn't a difference. Don't equate quality with price, just understand why you are paying 25 dollars more.

I wired my house back in Jan.07 for Directv HD. After reading and finding what Directv spec where for the new HD. This is what I came away with, you need RG6 that's 3ghz and has solid copper center 18ga. The 3ghz is the most important because of the 5 satellites and different band widths. The old rg6 has problems with the 5 band widths. Quad was only brought up when around large electrical sources.

Just my 2 cents.

Quad-shield is mainly for use in CATV systems to help prevent ingress. D* only requires a 60% braid.

RG6 Coax for D* 5LNB Slimline

I currently have E* and the rg6 coax that was run is 18awg CCS rated at 2.4 GHz. I will be switching to D* at the end of the month and will be getting the new 5 LNB slimline dish. Can I use the existing cable runs or do I need to replace it with new 3.0 GHz coax? Is CCS ok or do I need solid copper?

2.4 GHz rated is fine (the highest frequency uses is 2.15). CCS will probably work if the cable runs aren't too long. When my 5LNB dish was installed, the installer used the two existing CCS cables (from an earlier E* installation) and added two SCC runs. The total is probably around 80 feet and I have had no problems (I later switched to a SWM, which is probably a bit less critical on resistance).

There's a lot of BS around about cables for DirecTV. As Bob points out, you don't need cable swept to 3GHz, and you don't need RG6 quad cable. DirecTV recommends you have solid copper core instead of CCS for new installations, but CCS works fine unless you have very long runs. I have runs over 100ft of CCS with no problem. If you do have problems, these are nearly always because of voltage drop in the cables, the 18v signalling for even transponders drops too far, or the receivers can't power the LNBs. Nothing to do with frequencies or bandwidths. DirecTV only uses up to 2.15Ghz anyway.
As talos4 posts, quad is only suggested in areas of high interference signals because it reduces the levels of the interference. You do NOT need it in a normal DirecTV installation, it is just a waste of money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts