Coaxial/SPDIF audio connections from Dish or Direct?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SeattleVoomer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
First time back since we were Voomers back in May 2005!

Looking to get back into satellite TV. Our old Voom STB and its Samsung replacement both have audio outs via coxial/SPDIF which have worked great for OTA reception. Can't find info on Direct STBs in the form of a pic of the back to check out connections although Dish shows only optical digital audio out or HDMI. Are these the options with Direct as well?

So far we've been looking to use AV receivers such as the Cambridge Azur 640r which only switch HDMI doing neither video or audio processing. Are we stuck unless we get a receiver which decodes HDMI audio?

It's great to be back on the forums. Practically lived here when we had VOOM as we were early adopters and had a lot of first hand experience(s) to share with others on the forums from very low in the VOOM sky Seattle.

And, no, we haven't decided on Direct or Dish yet!

Under clearing White Center/Seattle skies, Gill

All of the Dish HD receivers, and I am pretty sure all of their SD DVRs as well, have optical (not coaxial) output for digital audio. There are devices available to convert optical to coax.

So far we've been looking to use AV receivers such as the Cambridge Azur 640r which only switch HDMI doing neither video or audio processing. Are we stuck unless we get a receiver which decodes HDMI audio?

Are you set on this AV receiver? Its HDMI connection is only for version 1.0. Many have suggested the Denon, not sure the model exactly.

In that price range, I'd go a slight bit higher to the Yamaha RX-V2700...which incidentially converts any format. Although no guarantee that HDMI audio works with any receier seeing how inconsistant HDMI is.

Why must you use HDMI for audio? Quite honestly, the chances of it not working are pretty high. I'd go optical/coax if at all possible.

Thanks for all the info.

Have learned a lot in the past 24 hours. Will look into the suggested AV receivers. Would like to go with SPDIF over optical as I'm a audionut and prefer this way of transferring digital sound info. Apparently, neither Dish or Direct offer SPDIF anymore but many receivers will decode HDMI although Cambridge is not one of them.

What an adventure. Looking forward to enjoying to DVDs, OTA and eventually Bluray and HD-DVD if the new Samsung dual format player is as good as hoped here in long winter nights Seattle.

Under clear (believe it or not) and cold Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Apparently, neither Dish or Direct offer SPDIF anymore
HUH? The Dish receivers have optical SPDIF ports, all except the most basic SD models. Optical is what I've used on the DishPlayer 7200, 721, 522 and now ViP622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts