Color drop out since ver: 2.32 download

WD40

Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Color drop out since ver: L232 download

The color on all stations has started going to black and white almost once daily since receiving the download for version L232. So far to correct the problem it requires unplugging the receiver for about 15 to 20 seconds, then reconnect and let it go through the signal acquire session.
Previously had version 2.08 and did not have this happen during that time.
This is a relatively newly installed 522.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem since receiving the L232 download.?

thanks in advance.

We need more information: what video connection are you using, S-video, composite, or RF (what channel)? Is this on TV1 or TV2?

This used to be a problem with a SW version waaaay back.

I've seen it turn B&W intermittently after hitting 'GUIDE' or once in a while on a music channel (before we had Sirius) but it would always come back by changing a channel or getting out of the guide.

Like Pepper, I think we need a bit more info and see if you can reproduce it faithfully with certain viewing habits or remote functions.

Worst case it might be the TV output circuit in the 522 and need to RMA the unit. Seems unlikely since it started after the last SW update.

Let us know more.

First time it happened was the morning after the L232 download appeared. Turned on the receiver for TV1 and it was B&W - TV2 was still in color.
The TV1 might not be on every day but the next time it was being watched after a commercial when returning to the regular programming it returned B&W.

To correct I unplug the receiver from the electric for about 15 to 20 seconds, reconnect and the color returns.

This happened on the TV1 connections, I checked both S-video and RCA and it was B&W on both.
I used the remote and powered off the receiver for TV1 and powered it back on - still in B&W.
The last time I did not go check the TV2 connection.

When it happened last, I used the remote and switched through several stations and they all remained in B&W.

One thing I noticed - as a test I unplugged the electrical cord and immediately reconnected. At that point I noticed the screen for reacquiring signal was B&W, once the process finished, all the channels I switched to were also B&W.
I unplugged the electric for the 15 to 20 seconds, reconnected and this time the screen for acquiring signal was in color and once the process completed the channels were back in color.

Nothing was being done with the remote at the time and nothing was being done to the receiver at the time. TV2 was powered off this last time so only TV1 was being used.

I'll try to turn the receiver and TV1 on more often to see if I can determine a pattern or timing sequence of how long it might be playing before the condition repeats. I'll try some other things like going to the guide and back, going to the guide and reselecting the station.

I've sent the question to Dish Network support to see if they have any ideas or have anyone else inquiring about the problem yet.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US. :)

The next time you might just try a soft reboot of the receiver. Just hold down the front panel power button for a few seconds until the fans kick on and the receiver starts rebooting. That's quicker, easier on the 522, and most likely easier on you than unplugging it and plugging it back in. But if the soft reboot doesn't work, let us know.

Latest report. The receiver made it through one entire evening of about 2 hours without going to black and white.
Then the next evening, having not been on all day, turned on the TV connected to TV2 - no problem, everything in color. Turned on the TV connected to TV1 - black & white from the start. This happened in both S-Video and RCA. Switched through several channels and all were B&W, opened the guide - it also was B&W, switched through several channels with using the guide and the Select button - everything remained B&W.

I performed the soft reset by pressing the power button on the front of the receiver until I could hear the fans - the acquire signal screen appeared and it was back to being in color and once it finished the color was back on the channels.

Jumped here from C-Band

Help with DishPro Plus 44 Switch with Legacy receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts