Color splitting & concave picture

zmust

Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Corona, Ca
Apart from not receiving some of the local channels, which I will detail later,
I have been having continuous problems with the picture splitting with a ghost effect and I can see 3 colors, red green and blue. The picture also curves and gets distorted at the corners. After some time, the picture is normal.

My initial installer said that it was a software problem, and that I needed to do a soft or hard reboot and then leave the channel on channnel 100. I never had the problems with Dish Network.

It's been happening a bit more frequently and the concave picture and color splits are lasting longer each time.

I have a widescreen Mitsubishi HD ready TV and have repeatedly set the color convergence to the factory default, but to no avail.

Has anyone else encountered these problems and your solution to remedy this problem?

This is a great forum

Thanks
:confused:

Welcome to the forum!
Have you tried switching the resolution (from 720p to 1080i or vice versa)?

You could also try connecting to your tv using the different input methods. You say you did not have a problem with your previous sat provider, how was that connected to your tv? {coax, composite video, component(unlikely) , dvi (unlikely)} Try the others and see it they exibit the same issue on your tv. If it does, then you might have a problem with your voom box, if not then maybe the wires are bad, or maybe that input on your TV has problems, or maybe you tv doesn't like the 1080i, try switching to 720p. Realize that you will not get HDTV with a coax or composite video connection, but it is worth a try to troubleshoot the problem. Did you try both HDTV connection types on your TV (component and/or dvi)? Or perhaps you don't you have an option?

By the way, my parents in Riverside, CA (i think near you) get all the OTA Digital Local Channels via a rooftop antenna with consistently good signals (7 KABC is the weakest, but still good). You may need to request an upgraded OTA antenna from Voom.

I have had voom since Jan in Fullerton, get all the OTA and love the service. Came to it from Comcast Cable.

Best of Luck

Ilya,
Thanks for the welcome.
I have tried switching the resolution but with no results.

George,
I forgot to mention but it happens to the TV upstairs too.
I complained about the lack of the local signal and 2 weeks later the Voom installer came and installed a rooftop antenna (no idea which model). He only checked the TV downstairs and forgot to check upstairs. I have fewer local channels. I think I may need some sort of booster installed.
I had my Voom installed on Jan 06. I still have a Dish network TV as I subscribe to one of the Asian channels.
1st installation with Voom dish - got strong CBS signal (89-strength) and ABC (85) and KCET (86)
2nd installation Voom dish & OTA rooftop antenna - lost CBS and gained KTLA, KTTV
signals generally around the 85 mark. Occasionally get CBS and NBC.

I love the HD picture one gets from Voom, too. Wish I didn't have to play around with it so often to get a signal. I try retuning to try to get the signals.

hmmmmm...
Probably not a connection issue if happening on both boxes. Have you checked to see if the most recent update has hit your boxes yet? From my understanding reading these froums it was to come this week. My box was upgraded on wed. To get my box to upgrade I had to pull the plug and reboot it, after reboot download started right away.

Not quite sure if I understand the actual look of the screen when this is happening, could you post a picture?

"Needs a software update" sounds like an installer cop out to avoid troubleshooting the real problem to me. If it was a real problem with the software it would surely be documented here I think.

Perhaps an interference issue from the OTA antenna is causing this, you have a diplexer setup I presume (one coax cable from box to antenna outside) as this is how the installer hooked mine up. Perhaps you can have them split it and run two cables? Since you have more than one box, I also think they have a unit they have to use to split and amplify the sat signal to the multiple rooms (it think it is called a multiswitch), maybe this is bad. If you OTA goes through this that too could be a cause of the OTA problems. I am about out of ideas.

Hope you can find the prob.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)