Com+ ?

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I have Bellsouth Internet Security. When I run a Bellsouth diagnostic check it indicates a COM failure. I have Windows xp. All the research I have done is way over my head. When I call Bellsouth they don't know what the heck I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post the exact failure? Bellsouth is just an ISP they license a software to provide to subs (which I am one) but I remove all that and use my own so as to have access to tech support if need be. Right now I am thinking it is reporting a COM port irregularity for some reason, but that is simply a guess at this point.

I am at my office so I can't check this for you but what happens is after my Internet Security loads is when this occurs. I can go into the diagnostics and it indicates a problem with com check. It has a repair utility which I click on and provides a list of things to repair. One is to re-register COM which does not correct the problem. The other is to re-install COM. After clicking on re-install I will do another check which indicates everything is fine. I will exit diagnostics and restart my internet security suite. After loading the security suite I will go back and do another diagnostics check and have the same problem. So I assume it is associated with the loading of the security suite. Obtw because of this issue I no longer receive my automatic updates with the virus protection or spyware. The definition files used to update every 3 or four hours but not any more. I hope this helps but I will try to find the exact COM failure when I get home if I can figure out how to do that. Thanks :):confused: ( I have deleted and re-installed the security suite hoping that would fix it but nadda)

I called Microsoft Tech support and spent over an hour with them. They couldn't find anything wrong with my Windowsxp or my computer. They said that my computer is working as it should and that the problem is with at&t. I spent over two hours with a tech from at&t. We deleted everything associated with my Bellsouth Internet Security Suite to include my Google Desktop and re-installed everything. She said sometimes Google caused these issues. She then said she would call back in two hours. Never received her phone call and the problems remain.

Did you look at the device manager?

Start
Control Panel
system
hardware
device manager

Look for com ports on the list and open it up look for red x's or yellow ?

I had a conflict with an audigy soundblaster I put in the dell. It would lock up and no amount of uninstalling it or the factory card would solve it. The card is fine, I am running it in my homebuilt PC. Sometimes it works out that way, I guess.

Did you look at the device manager?

Start
Control Panel
system
hardware
device manager

Look for com ports on the list and open it up look for red x's or yellow ?

I had a conflict with an audigy soundblaster I put in the dell. It would lock up and no amount of uninstalling it or the factory card would solve it. The card is fine, I am running it in my homebuilt PC. Sometimes it works out that way, I guess.
Thank you but that was one thing I did early on.

I figured that, but you never said what wasn't working. Only that bellsouth said you had a comm failure......

Look back on this thread I think that I said I am not getting my automatic updates for my virus protection nor my spyware.:) If I didn't I apologize but that is what prompted me to do the diagnostics and found the COM+ problem.

From what I gather this is not a well known issue with xp or at&t. I found it through a Microsoft web site that it was a problem with Windows 2000 and for that OS there is a fix.

Well folks I have had enough with Bellsouth/at&t Internet Security Suite. I removed it and went with another provider. I should have listened to one of my IT Techs at work a long time ago. Seems as though every thing is now working as it should. Thanks for all your help.

ms office 2007 Backward Compability, anyone test it?

Fujitu Lifebook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts