Combining 722K TV2 Output with OTA Feed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I already have the TV2 feed run to the BR, tuned to ch 69. I am in the process of adding an OTA antenna to the roof, and want to send that to the BR, as well. Unfortunately, the TV only has one RF input.

I already have an AB switch I could use. But, I want to avoid having to manually switch. I'd rather just have all of my OTA DTV channels plus the Dish DVR on ch 69, simply using the remote to select channel 69 whenever I need to watch the DVR.

I have found one "combiner" that appears to be for this purpose - the Eagle Aspen SHN-24 "Super Home Node". (http://www.eagleaspen.com/products/links/SHN-24Flyer.pdf) But, I was wondering if using a simple passive splitter/combiner would work?

I understand that it could hypothetically create a situation wherein the DVR is actually broadcasting to my neighbors on ch 69. But, quite frankly, that doesn't concern me. If it would actually anable me to combine the output of the DVR with the OTA signal from the antenna, without causing interference between them, or any damage to the equipment, I am willing to accept a little "leakage".

Has anybody successfully tried using a passive splitter/combiner for this purpose?

You mean like the Eagle Aspen SHN-24 Super Home Node I referenced in my original post? :rolleyes:

If the passive splitter works for you, I will give it a shot. Thanks!

BTW, did 69 give you trouble before you combined the signals, or only afterward?

Don't know, I have always had it combined. 21 has always worked perfectly. 69 gave me sparkles on my "Dish" channel. I need to replace the wiring which I am doing this week. I think I have too long of a run and too cheap coax. But a passive combiner/splitter works.

Sorry, I glanced at your post and did not pick up on the middle paragraph. I had ordered the aspen combiner last week - I plan to put it in with my new cabling this week - so it was on my mind.

My TV2 output is channel 69 (TV1 is 67). I use a Channel Master JoinTenna cut for 69 to combine the output with my OTA antenna. Works perfectly and with no loss of the OTA signal which is important in my weak signal location.

lower channels like 21-25 will have a less signal loss. be shure not to set the modulated channel over a local digital channel. combining with a simple 2 way splitter should work , but there will be some radiation from your antenna.

Here is something I noticed today that was strange. I have the single coax from my 722k in my living room running to a splitter under the house and from there another single coax run to my master bedroom and to the tv. I took that cable today and ran it to my LG dvd/digital tuner antenna port. I noticed that I was getting a antenna signal for ABC/NBC/CBS and FOX . It was pretty strong too. So some how the antenna feed from the 722k was being output through the modulater output to the coax into the other room on the other side of the house -30 feet away. The signal stayed but sometimes the picture would freeze and drop out. So I don't think it would work for your problem Gary , but I thought I would tell it anyway.

Works for me

I am just using a simple 2-way splitter (quality one) inserted in the path as:

ANT ---> >-Splitter ---> Dist Amp x4 ---> TVs and OTA in on 722
DVR out-> >

Let there is some loss, but I have a good OTA antenna system, good Electroline AMP too.

I would specifically like to say to the selection of your DVR Out 2 channel number should be picked by searching your TV OTA and 'listening' for the quietest/non interferance channel (In my area, it was 65)

Hope that helps!

I would try 69 - the worst situation would be that you find the pciture not good and you have to change it to another channel. That would take what - all of 10 seconds.

Here is something I noticed today that was strange. I have the single coax from my 722k in my living room running to a splitter under the house and from there another single coax run to my master bedroom and to the tv. I took that cable today and ran it to my LG dvd/digital tuner antenna port. I noticed that I was getting a antenna signal for ABC/NBC/CBS and FOX . It was pretty strong too. So some how the antenna feed from the 722k was being output through the modulater output to the coax into the other room on the other side of the house -30 feet away. The signal stayed but sometimes the picture would freeze and drop out. So I don't think it would work for your problem Gary , but I thought I would tell it anyway.
So, you're saying that your 722k already combines the OTA feed into TV2 out?

Hmm. I'm gonna check it out.

I would try 69 - the worst situation would be that you find the pciture not good and you have to change it to another channel. That would take what - all of 10 seconds.
69 is what I was already using before adding OTA into the mix. And, I figured I'd continue using it, as there are no stations in my area using it.

In fact, I tried it last night, combining the OTA signal and TV2 signal through a passive splitter into my BR TV. It appeared to work fine. I just tune to 69 to view the TV2 output of the DVR, and tune the OTA channels directly to view those.

I'm not sure about signal loss. But, it appears no worse than the OTA fed straight into the TV without TV2 and the splitter/combiner.

So, you're saying that your 722k already combines the OTA feed into TV2 out?

Hmm. I'm gonna check it out.

It seemed to work for the most part but I did notice some picture freezes and cutouts. I wouldn't depend on it for good ota support using just the coax from the tv 2 cable output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts