Combining Dish TV2 feed with Comcast / Road Runner Digital Service

shakti

Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
I am trying to combine my DISH 522 TV2 feed which can be modulated to any range 21-69 or 73-125 with a Comcast digital service feed (since I have only one wire run to two of my TV's upstairs) but have no luck. My TV has a digital ATSC/QAM tuner along with an analog NTSC tuner and I first connected the Comcast signal feed directly to the TV and did a scan for Analog and digtal signals. It found about 300 (well most of them are scrambled). With this info I found a range that comcast does not broadcast or send any programming. this happened to be between 70-75 and then 90-95 and then 120-125
I set my DISH 522 TV2 feed to be modulated to the various freq in this range (considering a 5 ch gap) but I cannot get my TV to tune to the DISH feed. I managed to get some signal on CH125 but it was very grainy/snowy

Any insights, is the Comcast signal corrupting the Dish 522 RF feed

Thanks to all the Gurus out there that can figure this one out

Just a guess but those channels might be used for non-tv data, you could try trapping out the higher channels. I've read digital cable can even go past the frequency used by 125.

So how can I combine a DISH 522 TV2 modulated signal with a Comcast or Raod Runner Digital service. Back when I had only basic cable this was not a problem. Because basic analog cable would not interfere with the TV2 modulated signal and as long as you found an unused channel within the 21-69 air range or a 73-125 cable range you could get a picture i,e the signals could be combined using a combinor. But this digital signal broadcast is making things a bit interesting

Tell RR to install a 2-125 range trap on the curb or demark with digital passthrough or your neighbors will get interference from your signals.

Thats if RR is doing full digital for your subscribed channels.

If the signal is still snowy after this, try a variable gain amp before the combiner.

It can be done, here is my complex setup:

dist.jpg

Last edited:
My setup was similar in which I wanted to combine my backfeed from my 622 with my analog cable system. What I ended up having to put in place was a 'Low Pass Filter' that would only pass channels 2-69 inline on my incoming cable feed from the curb. Then that feeds into a splitter/combiner where I combine my TV2 output with the inline cable feed. Then I input that into an 8 way amplified splitter out to the rest of my house.

I will say that it took A LOT of trial and error with various different splitter and notch filters to find the right combination that worked.

My wiring is unique in that I have two RG6 coax feeds to every room in the house and each room terminates to a central wiring closet in the basement.

So What I bought was the following:

Channel Vision Low Pass Filter P/N: 3102-60
Channel Vision 2 Way Splitter/Combiner P/N: HS-2
Electroline 8 Way Drop Amplifier P/N: EDA 2800

I tried numerous combinations of amplifiers, splitters, combo modulation/distribution amps, etc and this is the ONLY combination that worked for me in that I got excellent quality on the existing cable channels as well as the modulated channels.

Hookup:

Cable TV from Curb
|
|
Low Pass filter
| TV2 Output
| |
| |
2 Way Splitter
|
|
Electroline Drop Amplifier
| | | |
Outputs to TVs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)