Combining/splitting satellite and air antenna signal to 5 TVs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mark22

Mar 9, 2005
I just bought an old house, two levels and it is like a Christmas tree; coaxial cables everywhere from the air local antenna and the DirecTV satellite dish. I want to cut down on cables and also to get, if it is possible without video quality loss, both antennas' signal (satellite and OTA) to all 5 TV sets. I have two standard Directv (Sony) receivers (1997 models), one with RF remote, dual satellite antenna.

I would like to use 1 cable per TV, using a combiner or multi-switch or wireless or whatever device is better for satellite and air signal to be fed to 5 TVs.

I have 5 rooms with 5 TV s and 2 satellite receivers; I would like to have the following set up:

room 1- I have satellite Receiver 1, TV 1; need to get Satellite 1 and off the air (OTA) signals

room 2- I have satellite Receiver 2, TV 2; need to get Satellite 2 and OTA

room 3- I have TV 3; need to get Satellite 1 and OTA signals

room 4- I have TV 4; need to get Satellite 1 and OTA

room 5- TV 5; need to get Satellite 1 and OTA

1-What kind of combiner should I use ( I saw at Radio Shack 5-2500 MHz or 5-900 MHz or something like that)?
2-Do I need the distribution amplifier ?
3-Are these for outdoor use?
4-What kind of splitter should I use?
5-it is worthy using wireless video sender?
6-what multiswitch to use 3x2 or 3x5?
7-how to hook up the devices/cables, the order how they go? For example if I am to use a multiswitch (MS), the order would be IN to MS from Satellite LNB 1, LNB 2 , and OTA antenna; out cable 1, to diplexer 1, satellite receiver 1, TV1; how to run from receiver 1 to other TV s?
8-if I use a multiswitch (in sat 1, sat 2 and ota) out to diplexer 1 and diplexer 2; from diplexer 1 out to sat receiver 1 (1 input for sat signal, 1 input for ota) and out from sat receiver 1 to a splitter and from splitter, one output to TV1 and 1 output to TV 2; so the lead to TV 2 will have combined both sat 1 and ota signals; on TV 2 can I see ota program eather if the sat receiver 1 is on or not?

I hope makes sense what I am saying here because it is complicated to me and for already a week try to figure out how to set this up.

Thank you so much

A diagram would be greatly appreciated

Mark

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SSMS5602NF

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SSEW120F

Once you decide on the exact switch there should be an installation diagram with it that is specific to that model. With all those question it sounds like you could use an installer. http://www.spaun.com/plan-6rec_w-terr.htm and http://www.spaun.com/plan-16rec_ms.htm are small examples, but not specific to you, just showing you the idea.

I wouldn't recommend any wireless video sender for the highest quality, but if running RG6 is out then it might be an option. Are any of the runs going to be more than 100'?

No, all are around 15'. I mean the problem can be summarized to this scenario; how to hook up sat and ota to multiple tvs feeding just 1 cable to the rooms that have only tv (not receiver); having like a splitter from which one cable will go to every tv (2, 3, 4, 5). Unfortunatelly all examples that I found is how to hook up (split) to X receivers but none to X TV s sets. I don't know what to choose from all the devices offered as long as I don't know how this stuff works (one diplexer specs says "power passive on one port"; it is chinese for me). I would prefer without power because I can't see how to power a device on the roof. Thank you again

You wouldn't mount it on the roof. You mount it in a central location with power like a basement, crawlspace or attic, then run all the incoming lines to there and then the outgoing from there to the needed rooms.

Having only 2 sat receivers and needing to split only from sat 1 to more tvs can I use this set up? From my initial setup I will drop this scenario to get in room 3, Satellite 2 also (it is too complicated); so I will need only Satellite 1 and OTA signals in room 3.

split OTA in two;
(I will start with sat receiver 2 which is hooked up to just 1 tv)

--one output from OTA to a combiner (#TWO) inp 1; LNB 2 to same combiner TWO inp 2; output from combiner TWO (1 coax) to room 2 (tv2), diplexer, receiver 2, tv 2

--second output from OTA to a combiner (#ONE) inp 1; LNB 1 to combiner ONE inp 2; output from combiner ONE (1 coax) to room 1;
diplexer to receiver 1 (output to tv 1 using composite); output from receiver 1 (RF) , input in a 1-3 splitter, output from splitter to TV 3, TV 4 and TV 5. Do I need diplexers now before input in TV 3, 4 and 5?
On TV 3, 4 and 5 I will be able to get OTA even when receiver 1 is on?

Or a variance of the above using a multiswitch (LNB 1, LNB 2 and OTA in), out to the 2 receivers and the rest like above.

Please advise, does this set up is going to work? Thank you.

Mark

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Looking to get D* Please help!

Where oh where is ESPN2-HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)