Looking to get D* Please help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

melloyello75

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
I am looking to switch from cable to sat but I have a slight problem, I do not have a landline phone. I called Voom but they said that I could not get their service w/out a landline is this true for D* as well?

I do not plan on getting a landline b/c I work for a wireless carrier and I get my service for free. If I had to get a landline I might as well stay w/ dig cable b/c I would have to pay more for sat + phone.

Any ideas on how I could work around the landline issue? I have read several posts that people are using sat w/out a phone line hooked up to it. How did you get the install?

Thanks

It's no problem without a phone line. TiVo will have issues, but someone else will have to answer that. You can order PPV on the website.

with Tivo all you need is landbase phone line for the first time call, to do that you can go to someones house that as a phone line,that person does not need directv

So I can order D* and when the installers show up and see no landline they will still complete the install?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Yes, the installer should let you go without it dialing out. Let him know this upfront. Some installers may be picky.

I took mine over to a neighbor's house to make it's initial call.

After that one when I got my second DTivo I made the Tivo cable and connected it through my PC. Instructions on this are in our DVR forum.

If you decide to go Directv I would strongly recommend using Value Electronics. They are professional and will make sure your install goes well. Click on their link at the top.

melloyello75 said:
I am looking to switch from cable to sat but I have a slight problem, I do not have a landline phone. I called Voom but they said that I could not get their service w/out a landline is this true for D* as well?

I do not plan on getting a landline b/c I work for a wireless carrier and I get my service for free. If I had to get a landline I might as well stay w/ dig cable b/c I would have to pay more for sat + phone.

Any ideas on how I could work around the landline issue? I have read several posts that people are using sat w/out a phone line hooked up to it. How did you get the install?

Thanks

Not true, i have voom and i only have a cell phone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)