Comcast boston - New HD dvr box

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I had to replace my old hd dvr box the other day. The hd died. I went to the service center and they replaced it with an updated box, a DCT-3400

The new one no longer has dvi port, but had an hdmi.

It also has usb, firewire-1394 and SATA external hard disk!

The smartcard slot has been moved to the back.

And now the onscreen menus etc work on both the component out and video outs, even on HD channels! They used to not work on the composite outs if watching an hd channel.

I called Comcast, and they say all ports are enabled in this area.

So,, the 1394 is output in hd

How do I use the external hard disk option? Do I just plug an SATA external drive into it and the box picks it up for more storage?

And finally, what is the USB port for?

I have the 6412 and the external serial ata and firewire are not enabled. You will need to find out if they are enabled first on the 3400. Can you test the firewire on your current TV?

Last edited:
I forget USB should basically be for the same functionality as Computer mainly external storage, etc. but agin it is not enabled on the 6412 by comcast.

Last edited:
I tried to plug in a sata to the back of the 3400. The cable doesn't work! The port on the cable box is non-standard!

So, where do I get the cable to try it?

The 34xx are the new models.

I now have the 3412 Dual Channel DVR ( replaces the 6412 ), no more analog, it is a all digital box, all ports do work and I have it hooked up to the TV via HDMI which does look at least a little better then component, box is a little faster also.

Everyday I am a little more happy to be with Comcast then when I was with E* a year ago, no HD Lite, local sports in HD, Starz and Max in HD, locals in HD and to get a new box no paying $299.00 just for right to lease it from E*.

3412 Dvr

bruce said:
The 34xx are the new models.

I now have the 3412 Dual Channel DVR ( replaces the 6412 ), no more analog, it is a all digital box, all ports do work and I have it hooked up to the TV via HDMI which does look at least a little better then component, box is a little faster also.

Everyday I am a little more happy to be with Comcast then when I was with E* a year ago, no HD Lite, local sports in HD, Starz and Max in HD, locals in HD and to get a new box no paying $299.00 just for right to lease it from E*.

Mr Bruce, I have the 6412 how do I go about getting the 3412? I am in South Florida where are you at?

nate22 said:
Mr Bruce, I have the 6412 how do I go about getting the 3412? I am in South Florida where are you at?

Michigan, they came out to replace a 6412 that went bad ( 2nd one ), when I called it in I requested a 3412, they brought out another 6412, I said that if I don't get what I requested I am going back to Dish, two hours later he was back with a 3412.

I am a 'Triple Play' customer-Phone, Net and Cable so they suck up since they get so much money from me every month.

I finally got a eSATA cable. The port seems disabled, even though CSR told me 'all ports are enabled'

After I connect the sata drive, I get no prompts, or anything. And it never uses the space or displays it as part of the free space.

What, a CSR is wrong? NO WAY! :D

Go Sox

:devil: Go Sox White Sox that is... :eek: Repeat this year cause ....hhhmmm list is toooo long :tux:

BTW Comcast rules, but watch out for FIOS late this year... ...former BUD owner
When will DTVand DISH get their act together ....$500 or $300 to lease a HD-DVR that's a free lease, no commitment from Comcast...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)