Comcast Cablecards/TivoHD XL

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I'm moving to another city soon, and if for some reason I cannot get Dish, I'll most likely drop the dough on a TivoXL and use Comcast.

Anyone have experience with cable cards, just wondering if all the bugs are sorted out.

It's not that I cant, I'm, just prepping for the worst case scenario (trees, etc...)

I like to get all my plan b's in effect before I move :)

I'm moving to another city soon, and if for some reason I cannot get Dish, I'll most likely drop the dough on a TivoXL and use Comcast.

Anyone have experience with cable cards, just wondering if all the bugs are sorted out.

Well, I haven't used the TIVO, but I have been seriously considering it. The Motorola HD-DVR is junk.

Comcast just sent me a new rate sheet, and the cost of cablecards was way down. Free for the first one per device and $1.50/mo for the second. Still, with the TIVO subscription, I think you will find this a much costlier solution. Stay with DISH if at all possible.

While you are checking, make sure that TIVO has guide info for your area as the TIVO cannot use the guide that Comcast supplies with the stream.

I have had a TivoHD and it was a great unit. OTA, Amazon VOD and Netflix watch now.

I just talked to Comcast and saw where the do have one cheap price for ccards now, so thats good.

Other than channel offering, switching from Vip722k and Dish to Comcast and TivoHD XL is not a biggie. I just lose out on the 4 channels at once.

If you are tired of the Moto box, you should reall give the tivohd a look; offers many things past recording cable tv.

If you are tired of the Moto box, you should reall give the tivohd a look; offers many things past recording cable tv.

I guess in many ways, I'm just a cheapskate. The Motorola box is a pain, but it kinda gets the job done. The TIVOHD XL solution is $1k ($600 for the box, $400 for the lifetime service). That's a lot of months of $15/mo lease fees.

The right answer is to get out of this rental house this summer and find a place that has a view of the satellite. I'd much rather go back to the 722.

I have the Tivo XL and Comcast. Just got it put in about a month ago. I was lucky. They sent someone out who knew what he was doing. And I got a good card the first time. Comcast uses the Scientific Atlanta cards here in Memphis.

I've heard that some people have had trouble with the cards not working right. Causing them not to get all the channels. Some people have had to have a few truck rolls to get the problem corrected.

The only thing about using the cable cards is you can't use VOD. Which doesn't bother me anyways.

Thanks.

Yeah, VOD will not be a problem, especially with Amazon VOD and Netflix on the TiVo.

I need to see if SDV is an issue in this area, which will mean I'll need a Tuning Adapter.

Here in Memphis, Comcast doesn't use SDV (yet), so I don't know about the Tuning Adapter. I called Comcast locally and asked them if they were using SDV and believe it or not they knew what I was talking about.

Move Comcast HD DVR from one house to another

RCN Cable experiences wanted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)