[COMCAST] Faster Internet speeds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Woo-Hoo! Comcast Internet speeds are up to 6/768 for $43 & 16/1 for $53!

Still not as fast or as cheap as FIOS, but its getting there.

-John

Faster Internet Speeds

Hey John,

Long time no see! I have been hearing about these new speeds for a while. I know that they have initiated them in Reston VA and in some other select locations to combat (or try to combat) FIOS. Do you know when they will be wide spread (as in when they will hit Baltimore LOL)? Are they already in Columbia (now that you guys have available FIOS)? Thanks
Wayne

Yeah, they're available now in Columbia. I think they are only upgrading FIOS areas right now to the new speed. Kinda stupid if you ask me, since those prices and speeds still aren't very competitve with FIOS pricing (although they are closer).

Still waiting for FIOS & FIOS TV for my house. They dug in Feburary, and am just waiting for it to go live in my neighborhood. Once it does, I'll get both and dump Comcast. :) Those bastards charged me $1.99 to remove HBO from my account. BASTARDS!!!!

-John

lol
i want fios to i don't think they will start digging here for years. they took NBA TV off after i had it for free for 2 years i thought it was part of the silver package they said you need to pay another 5.00 a month for it. I'm already paying 134.00 for 2 premium and high speed internet.
does anyone have any suggestions to help me lower my bill and add more channels?

cfkillers said:
does anyone have any suggestions to help me lower my bill and add more channels?

Thats a tough question. DSL is probably your only alternate to cable internet. Its slower, but still fast, cheaper, but might not be available to your particular house.

If DSL isn't available, you'll be paying an extra $15 a month to switch TV providers. I doubt you will find D* or E* being $15 cheaper a month (particularly for HD, DVR, or multiple TVs), or even have more channels.

If DSL is available, both D* and E* plus DSL would likely be cheaper than Comcast. But both companies have high up front costs for HD-DVRs, and HD-Lite (not currently found on Comcast).

My pick would be DSL + E* since E* has more HD channels (I actually like the Voom channels). Or just sticking with Comcast if no DSL is available.

-John

DSL versus Comcast

I feel your pain John & CF. Comcast only increases the speeds in area that already have FIOS. So here in Baltimore city which (unlike Baltimore county) Verizon does not seem pressed to bring in FIOS anytime soon we are stuck with 6mbps/384 or 8mbps/768kbps Comcast tiers until Verizon gets here. My $127.95 plan ($138.17 after taxes) will go up to $195.75 (pre-tax) (Digital all Pays with 5 premiums, 2 HDDVRs, 1 HD non-DVR plus the $52.95 internet tier). I would be tempted to stay if they would increase the internet speed early to at least 16mbps/1mbps (also digital voice is not available in Baltimore city yet so no triple play bundle here). I have already decided to go back to Verizon DSL (can get 3mbps/768kbps for $29.95/ month) and I am going with Dishnetwork with installation set for the 11th of May (the day before that horrific Comcast bill would have been due). The fact that I will go from only 9 HD channels with Comcast (no need to include the 6 local HD channels since I can get those without Comcast's help) to 23-25 HD stations with Dishnetwork. I had a good year with Comcast though. Not one cable TV nor Internet outage; and speeds at or above 8mbps download and 700kbps upload. But only one HD station was added while I was there (UHD). I must admit to having a leery feeling about Echostar though . Like having to put down about $300 just for the right to rent their HDDVR (I think they have already charged my credit card for that nearly a month before the install date). I cancelled an install on them last year due to the same leery feeling (and went with Comcast Dish buyback promo). We'll see what I do this time.
Wayne

jgantert said:
Thats a tough question. DSL is probably your only alternate to cable internet. Its slower, but still fast, cheaper, but might not be available to your particular house.

If DSL isn't available, you'll be paying an extra $15 a month to switch TV providers. I doubt you will find D* or E* being $15 cheaper a month (particularly for HD, DVR, or multiple TVs), or even have more channels.

If DSL is available, both D* and E* plus DSL would likely be cheaper than Comcast. But both companies have high up front costs for HD-DVRs, and HD-Lite (not currently found on Comcast).

My pick would be DSL + E* since E* has more HD channels (I actually like the Voom channels). Or just sticking with Comcast if no DSL is available.

-John

not so lucky

i'm lucky on a good day to reach 3 meg download with comcast internet. usually around 2 megs. would love to switch to cavalier telphone a provider in pa, nj,va, nd, and dc. they charge $25 with a potential speed of 10 megs. that's all comcast offers a potential speed of 3 megs where i live. to swich to verizon it would cost me more for then i'd have to take there more expensive phone package to ge the dsl. the grand total with verizon would be more than comcast. This is all mute for dsl isn't even available where i live.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)