Comcast HD in Cleveland

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
Its June 2004 and I've got Comcast HD in North Ridgeville, OH(west of Cleveland). Right now, There are a total of 10 channels availible(4 premiums and 6 basic networks)

202 ESPN-HD
206 INHD
207 INHD2
210 ABC-HD
211 NBC-HD
213 FOX-HD
228 HBO-HD*
233 Max-HD*
238 Show-HD*
248 Starz-HD*
* premium channels require subscription to their package

Notice there is no CBS-HD. Comcast is having difficulty negotiating their agreement to carry their HD channel. This is in its final stages and will be wrapped up by fall 2004. Quality of broadcasts has been excellent. HD programs look amazing, as expected. And even the SD material on these channels that is upconverted looks great. The SD material looks leaps and bounds better than on the analog channel, especially FOX. INHD and INHD2 are the most amazing HD that I have ever seen, PERIOD. The programming on these channels rotates, and varies widely in subject from sports(awesome) to concerts to nature shows(Discovery-type) to movies. These two channels give me more interesting programming than the entire VOOM lineup! I was seriously considering VOOM, that is untill I actually got my Comcast HD hooked up and saw the great variety of programming availible to me. And with ESPN-HD, I am all set. What's even better is that somehow my Cinemax-HD channel is coming in even though I never ordered it or pay for it. COOL! This channel is actually very good and is showing great movies. I just watched X2 in HD last night, and WOW, it was great and the 5.1 digital audio that went with X2 was dynamic and in Full Glory.

If you live in the Western Cleveland area, then this is what's availible right now from Comcast. My service has been outstanding(for a cable co.) and I am totally satisfied. So, if you've been thinking about getting a HDTV and HD programming, don't hesistate any longer. I'll keep ya posted on what's new.

If Voom offered INHD and INHD2 would you consider moving to Voom? I had Comcast in the Atlanta area and thought my programming options stunk. I agree INHD and INHD2 have good programming and would be great if V* would offer it.
On Comcast in Atlanta the SD channels below 100 looked terrible as they were not digital channels so I decided to try the $0 upfront cost and no commitment with V*. I am happy I did. I have gotten rid of Comcast and plan to keep V*

Jason - VaVaVooming in Atlanta

MrPorterhouse said:
202 ESPN-HD
206 INHD
207 INHD2
210 ABC-HD
211 NBC-HD
213 FOX-HD
228 HBO-HD*
233 Max-HD*
238 Show-HD*
248 Starz-HD*
* premium channels require subscription to their package

This is one of the more pathetic HD line-ups I've seen - no way I'd choose that over Voom.

I agree that INHD and INHD2 would be a welcomed addition to Voom - but no way I give up Voom's 21 exclusive channels, DiscoveryHD, BravoHD+, and even TNT-HD for them.

Heck, I wouldn't even trade WorldsportHD on its own for the pair.

deArgila said:
This is one of the more pathetic HD line-ups I've seen - no way I'd choose that over Voom.

I agree that INHD and INHD2 would be a welcomed addition to Voom - but no way I give up Voom's 21 exclusive channels, DiscoveryHD, BravoHD+, and even TNT-HD for them.

Heck, I wouldn't even trade WorldsportHD on its own for the pair.
Would you give up two of the V* cinema channels to support INHD and INHD2?

Jason VaVaVooming in Atlanta

If you're such a Comcast lover with their pathetic HD lineup, why don't you just stay out of this forum? Don't think that anyone here is interested in hearing you constantly extoll the virtues of Comcast.

Well, I work for Sherwin Williams.

Man, bitterness abound. I am just happy that I finally took the leap into HD. I just got my Hitachi 51S500 and had Comcast already, I added their HD box with no mothly rental fee. And HD programming is also at no additional charge, so what's not to like about that. I went from a small 19" color tv to Full HD on a 51" HDTV. WOW, its awesome. I'm just excited, that's all. And the quality of my cable HD is awesome. No reception issues, no signal strength issues, no weather related worries. No dish on my roof. There are some advantages to cable. And trust me, I will drop cable in a heartbeat if VOOM, D*, or anything lese ever became a better option for me, or my cabel customer service became a problem. That's why I come to this forum. To get up-to-date info, and learn of everyone else's experience with the way that they receive HD broadcasts so I can make informed decisions. I'm not closed minded at all.

I am still considering VOOM, and read the posts here frequently. With my current viewing habbits, more channels don't interest me. Like I've said before, its not about quantity of channels to me. Its about having the HD programming availible to me that I would actually watch. I can only watch one channel at a time, and if that one channel was broadcasting the programming that I was interested in 24hrs a day, then I would never even change the channel.(That will never happen in reality, but it does only take a few channels to satisfy me). I don't know why so many people just count the number of channels that they have as gospel. You may look at the shear number of channels, and think "Man, that's pathetic! How could he be happy with that?"

I totally realize that this is a satellite website and this is the VOOM forum. I know that the majority of people here choose satellite as the method of receiving their tv, whether its by choice or whether other alternatives are simply not availible. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there and let you know that not all of the areas that Comcast serves is filled with unhappy, frustrated customers. Everyone at this forum has given me great insight and I am thankfull for that. And if everyone is happy with VOOM, then why should it matter that I am happy with Comcast. There is no Right Answer. Everyone's situation is different and you must make the best decision for you. I was just pointing out an option from my perspective that is an alternative to satellite, and it works for me

Fayrich,

That's a little disappointing to me as I value your opinion greatly and have been very thankful of your insight into VOOM and all of the benefits that go along with VOOM. I believe you even invited me to come to your house to see VOOM in action. I do not mean to be pushy with my perspective at all. Just trying to strengthen the community. Even though I am currently not a satellite subscriber, doesn't mean that next week I won't be. I welcome all opinions, especially those that differ from my own. I hope you do not view my presence on this forum as a sour point.

Great News. Discovery-HD will be up and running and added to my channel lineup during the first week of July. I've been hounding Comcast about this, almost daily, and they finally got it done. Awesome. Now the only one left to add that I'm missing is CBS-HD and all of my needs will be complete. Of course, I still have wants out there. But my basic needs are nearly done.

How does everyone who has Bravo-HD like it? Do they show generally good HD content? I know that TNT-HD is basically worthless. The only thing that would have been nice about TNT-HD was the NBA playoffs, and that's long gone.

OK, with the recent addition of Discovery-HD to my channel lineup I received a message through the DCT6200 about it. This is common practice with Comcast to communicate in this manner. NOW, also included in that message was this, "more new channels coming soon." Did anyone else receive this message? What does this mean? It certainly doesn't lock in a timeline or even commit to new channels, but can this be seen as a positive sign? Or is it just Comcast being Comcast? I was surprised to see Comcast put this in writting, which they usually keep very hush-hush about new programing. Does anyone have any leads into the addition of new channels(HD or otherwise) with any cable providers?

Cbs-hd?

Not to hijack an old thread but does anyone have any info on when CBS-HD will be available from Comcast in Cleveland? It is a bummer watching the Browns game in SD, and then going over to fox and seeing how beautiful their games are in HD.

At this point I am debating getting a nice OTA antenna and switching to Voom or something with more HD programming. The main reason I went with Comcast was so I didn't need an OTA antenna, now it seems in order to watch CBS in HD I will need one anyway.

Thanks for any info,
Bryan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)