Comcast High Speed Interet and Cable

tvbnowtv

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
New York
I am planning to switch my cable TV and Internet with Comcast and have a few questions I hope to get some advice on.

Internet
Will there be a speed difference for a laptop and tablet if I get the modem with wifi install vs getting a cable modem (Motorola) and router seperately. Which is better to ensure the speed. If I choose cable modem and router seperately, does the tech guy do the set up to make it work?

TV
What is the TV activation fee for 2nd 3rd receiver? Any ways this can be waive?

I am looking forward getting double play mainly I need a faster Internet and ATT is so slow, not worth a penny.

Since they charge $10/month for rental, I highly suggest that you go the ownership method and save the money. They will take care of it for you on the install. If you get a SB6121, you'll be limited to 105Mbps. The 6141 can go up to 150Mbps (maybe faster too).

My issue with Comcast's internet is that it tends to be throttled. Although, I have to admit that since the FCC decision, it hasn't been nearly as bad. I've often found my rates limited to less than 20Mbps, when I have a 50Mbps connection. Lately, I've seen it go just over 30 on bigger downloads. (All speed tests show maximum rates).

Other issue is with HBO Go. Sony won't pay the mafia fund to Comcast, so Comcast won't let it work on the PS3 and PS4. I believe Roku has the same issue.

I believe you can get some of the fees waived if you sign up for two years.

Thank for the info. If I can get 20-30Mbps, I am happy. I do a lot of downloading and need a faster speed. With the current AT&T U verse, they don't even have the technology to increase higher speed and all they can offer is 12mbps at a high price. So far, I am getting the cheapest price online. I call Comcast a few times and going to the store, each staff different prices. Every time I ask for price, they all want me to get triple play.

I haven't seen an issue with comcast throttling speeds. I get 128 megs on my 105 service at home and 177 megs on my 150 service at work.
Try downloading a digital copy from iTunes sometime. I've seen my speeds vary between 30 to 12Mbps. The more I download the slower it goes too. Meanwhile, the speed tests will show that I get a full 50-60Mbps connection. The same test on my parents Charter connection ran at near full bandwidth (45Mbps) and they have the same speed network.

Other issue is with HBO Go. Sony won't pay the mafia fund to Comcast, so Comcast won't let it work on the PS3 and PS4. I believe Roku has the same issue.

Both HBO Go and Showtime works on the Roku if you have a Sub. with Comcast, been that way for months now.

Thank for the info, maybe I should get the Internet only then signing a two year contract just incase I subscribe to 50 and they give me 6. All I knowis everyone has Comcast in my area which will slower the speed unless I use it at midnight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts