Comcast is coming!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Their internet rocks ! ($44.95/month)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 31937 kbps (3992.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 6622 kbps (827.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Am I the only one that thought the title of this thread meant that the Comcast HD channels were coming to Dish? Got me all excited for nothing... I haven't had comcast for years, but it was not a good experience at the time.

Am I the only one that thought the title of this thread meant that the Comcast HD channels were coming to Dish? Got me all excited for nothing... I haven't had comcast for years, but it was not a good experience at the time.
I was the same way when I saw it ;)

Another thing for our friend in Vermont, be sure to see what channels they offer in your system. If it is rural, there is a good chance that the HD channel catalog could be lacking.

We have about 30 HD Channels in Comcast system (central PA) including Fox News, FX, Speed, and Comcast Sportsnet Philly but lacking CNN, History, Animal Planet and Weather.

We are rural, and outside of locals, the HD options via cable here are ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, TBSHD, TNTHD, CNNHD, HD Theater, Comcast Sports Chicago HD, Fox Sports Midwest HD, FoodHD, SciFiHD, USAHD, HGTVHD, WGNHD, FXHD, and SpeedHD. Outside of FX, Speed, and full-time RSNs, E* destroys them as they severely lack HD! And to get what I get from E* for $72.95 a month, I'd have to pay $93.95 per month plus taxes and fees (after initial 6 month offer). Plus, the DVR holds 15 hours of HD programming.

Another one that just left Comcast - Got Dish installed this past Sunday and, so far, I am not missing a bit Comcast - especially the fact that I am now getting over double the number of HD channels AND, even when all my promotions expire, I'll be paying less than I was paying for a PROMOTIONAL Comcast price!

I must be the only one who thinks Comcast HD was of equal or better quality. Don't give me bit rates or any other mumbo jumbo, it just looked better. Some things to consider:

IMO Comcast DVR sucks compared to the 722, I've had both. The 722 is solid, no freezing, much more intuitive controls.

Consider how many TV's you are connecting. Once I had more than one HDTV, Comcast starting getting pricey with multiple HD boxes. With 3 hd boxes (one DVR) and digital classic, nothing extra, I was paying like $120 a month! With TuboHD Gold and 3 HD boxes (722 and two 211) I believe my bill is like $75. Thats a big price difference, unless you truly don't care.

I never had a contract with Comcast (no internet for me thru Comcast), call and cancel anytime.

Comcast has On Demand. I do miss that.

I always found Comcast customer service better. Better customer support and service.

Just my 2 cents.

Similar experiences from a similar location. I really couldn't add much other than that I kept my Comcast basic ($12/mo) which allows my digital/hd tv's to receive HD. Comes in handy on the deck, kitchen or kids or in sticky snow ;). Other than that my ~$75/mo for 3 HD receivers from Dish beats Comcast.

My Comcast bill is $73 a month.
I really have all the HD I need.
Even though i am retired, I try to limit my tv viewing to 4 hours a day.
PLUS: Comcast gives me CSS (Cable Sports South?, Comcast Sports South?) .
That gives us some of the local Memphis Tigers basketball games.
My understanding is that CSS is not available on E* or D*. And in Memphis, they are now broadcasting some games in HD.
Plus, no contract or cost to repair anything.
If I could get this type cable service at Cherokee Village, I would not have E*.
But there, we have Charter analog. No HD, no high speed internet, nothing except that for $29 you can hook up all the tv's you want to at no extra charge.

With Dish for years and then went with Comcast when we first switched to HD. After about a year (and all the intial "deals" were done) we switched back to Dish. One big factor was the DVR. For us, especially my wife, the Dish DVR interface is so much better (we have 2 622s and 1 722). I was not particularly impressed with the PQ of Comcast either.

We still have Comcast Internet, Phone service, and basic TV (nice back up when the snow obliterates our dish signal). The Internet and Phone service have been "rock solid" so no complaints there.

When I started with Dish there were about 100K subscribers, UPS dropped off the the dish and receiver, and you got a note to read the manual and "good luck". Having invested in various Dish equipment over the years, I never got very close to switching to Direct. Now I am just REAL unhappy about no SpeedHD. When SpeedHD makes it to Comcast in this neck of the woods, I may have to be sure it is part of my existing Comcast package... But then, I am sure Dish will have it "soon".

In short, IMHO if you are into heavy DVR use like us, I think you gotta stick with DISH. All of these companies have customer service shortcomings and different programming evolutions, and, most of that stuff seems to even out in the end.

The problem with Cable (no matter the provider) is that the quality will depend on where you live. Some areas might have excellent quality, but others are crap.
Very true. The newer areas tend to have better PQ and more programming due to the system bandwidth. I would think the OP lives in one of those areas, as his post states that Comcast is coming. Sounds like a newly wired area to me.

I would suggest he tries Comcast first, as there are no term commitments, and they usually offer smoking deals for the first year or so. If he doesn't like the service or DVR, or gets hit with a big cost increase after the promo period, he can always switch to Dish or Direct.

I must be the only one who thinks Comcast HD was of equal or better quality. Don't give me bit rates or any other mumbo jumbo, it just looked better. Some things to consider:

IMO Comcast DVR sucks compared to the 722, I've had both. The 722 is solid, no freezing, much more intuitive controls.

Consider how many TV's you are connecting. Once I had more than one HDTV, Comcast starting getting pricey with multiple HD boxes. With 3 hd boxes (one DVR) and digital classic, nothing extra, I was paying like $120 a month! With TuboHD Gold and 3 HD boxes (722 and two 211) I believe my bill is like $75. Thats a big price difference, unless you truly don't care.

I never had a contract with Comcast (no internet for me thru Comcast), call and cancel anytime.

Comcast has On Demand. I do miss that.

I always found Comcast customer service better. Better customer support and service.

Just my 2 cents.

About 3 years ago, I subscribed to DISH, but retained my Comcast subscription for about six months. Several times I did A-B comparisons on the HD channels that both carried, such as the Discovery Channel (this was before Dish went to MPEG-4). On my 65=inch HDTV, I could not see any difference between the two signals.

Why did I switch to Dish?? To get the VOOM Channels! (Was I a sucker or what?)

There are several features on my VIP 622 that I find really helpful, which were not available with the Comcast DVR (I think it was the Motorola 6412 at that time). Among these are the 30-second commercial skip and the option of switching English-language subtitles on and off with a couple of clicks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts