Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It appears that Comcast is fighting with itself and is threatening to drop NBC locals from its cable system. (Yes they own NBC...)

Strange story, but its 2020 so it makes sense right? :D

• Haha
Reactions: satjay and ncted
Some years Syfy or FX might bother me but not this year. Don't see any locals either. What a PR nightmare, hopefully they figure something out.

It appears that Comcast is fighting with itself and is threatening to drop NBC locals from its cable system. (Yes they own NBC...)

Strange story, but its 2020 so it makes sense right? :D

Probably affiliates but the it would not suprise me this was a ruse for a drastic price increase

I think the article has it right. The terms that Comcast reaches with it's own stations/channels could set the bar for the non-Comcast owned carriers, so they won't want to appear too generous with their own.

For their own stations, since it's basically a matter of moving money from one pocket to another, I think it would it would be relatively easy for them to charge the stations higher retrans fees to set the precedent and then either increase the stations budgets or cut some other unrelated station cost to make up for it.

What’s stopping Comcast from creating a new channel called NBC Cable?

A channel with all NBC programming and no local.

Programming and affiliation contracts, for starters. A move like that wouldn't just affect the NBC O&Os, but also the station groups that do business with them as well. For example, Tegna is one of NBC's station groups, in terms of audience reach, and they own NBC affiliates in major places like Atlanta, Phoenix, St. Louis, Seattle, Portland, Oregon (and by coincidence, Portland, Maine as well), Charlotte, and Knoxville among other locales.

Sure they could try (LOL), but NBCUniversal/Comcast would be slapped with so many lawsuits from not only Tegna, but other station groups (Sinclair and Nexstar also own a ton of NBC affiliates between them), it could potentially kill the latter.

ABC does apparently have a national feed now, that carries ABC TV Network shows and uses "ABC News Live" programming to fill in the non-network timeslots. I get this "ABC General" on T-Mobile T-Vision.

ABC does apparently have a national feed now, that carries ABC TV Network shows and uses "ABC News Live" programming to fill in the non-network timeslots. I get this "ABC General" on T-Mobile T-Vision.
Off topic but I read T-Vision will be shutting down end of this year

And still odd comcast can't come to agreement with Comcast lol

Did that ever happen with any other company?
Like when news corp owned D* was there ever a dispute?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Off topic but I read T-Vision will be shutting down end of this year

And still odd comcast can't come to agreement with Comcast lol

Did that ever happen with any other company?
Like when news corp owned D* was there ever a dispute?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No, TVision is not shutting down. The TVision Home service that was rebranded Layer 1 is shutting down. The new TVision service that was announced last month is not.

It's seems many of you don't understand the concept of intracompany business. I don't quite get it either, but then again I'm not a business guy, I'm not a finance guy.

The company I work for is a subsidiary of a much larger organization based in Europe. Because in the US no one wants to be a CNC machinist anymore, as more and more of the old timers retire we have to get more and more components we need from our parent organization or fellow subsidiaries because we no longer have the skilled labor to do it inhouse. When we purchase from within our own organization we pay a markup, an intracompany transaction fee, a standard Euro to USD conversion rate and an extra fee on shipping. I don't understand the logic behind it, to me it's some type of loophole to skew the books, but again I'm just the IT guy.

Because it got too expensive to buy from ourselves we no longer do that with some components. We have take our money outside the organization and keep it in the US by dealing with specialty local machine shops in Ohio and Michigan and save a ton of money doing it. The jagoffs overseas don't particularly care for this but we do what we have to do.

So it doesn't surprise me about Comcast. When Time Warner Cable existed and HBO was under the same ownership, on the Legal Notifications the HBO/Max/Turner channels were listed as expiring soon and may be removed when it came time for contract renewals.

The same thing that you joke about with Comcast will happen with AT&T as they own both the medium of delivery (DirecTV) and content (HBO/Max/Turner), it's just it won't be as public since satellite companies don't have to put out advanced notice of the potentially dropping a channel and cable companies do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)