Comcast modem USB installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The Tate said:
My mother-in-law got Comcast Highspeed today and the installer hooked her up via USB. Why would they do this?

Easier to configure for the installer, hardware savings (i.e. the ones that don't support ethernet at all), cost savings by reducing training (with regards to working with varying ethernet LAN/WAN configurations, whereas USB is plug and play, and allows them to create their own virtual interface and even their own stacks which reduces conflicts with the users existing network (if any), etc), and in the cases of self-installs, to save support costs to the end-user.

Last edited:
I don't know why they would use USB instead of Ethernet. The thought that USB iseasierto install is really just a rumor. Ethernet is a breeze to install. Not to mention that it gives you a fasterconnection than USB will, and your going to want as much speed as you can give yourself if you live in a highly populated area because your connection will slow down dramtatically during peek usage times (usually evenings and nights).

Gary335 said:
I don't know why they would use USB instead of Ethernet. The thought that USB iseasierto install is really just a rumor.

Uhh, a rumor, wha?!?! Could you give a technical explaination of how/why that is so?

Ethernet is pretty easy these days. Assuming you are using XP and only dealing with a connection to one computer. Even if you are setting up a network and connecting the modem to a router, using XP things are reasonably simple in most cases. The ONLY reason I can think of for hooking it up by USB is if your mother's computer had a USB port, but not an ethernet port. It would normally be the responsibility of your mother to have the computer ready with a NIC. Does it have that?

Ethernet is pretty easy these days. Assuming you are using XP and only dealing with a connection to one computer. Even if you are setting up a network and connecting the modem to a router, using XP things are reasonably simple in most cases. The ONLY reason I can think of for hooking it up by USB is if your mother's computer had a USB port, but not an ethernet port. It would normally be the responsibility of your mother to have the computer ready with a NIC. Does it have that?

My computer did not have a NIC, so the first time TW installed my roadrunner, they used USB. It suited me because it left me the ethernet port to hook the playstation up to (no router). I assumed they would do this again when I moved--after they finally got cable here (I was without highspeed 4-5 months), so I had the computer ready with an extra USB cable for the modem. The guy installed a NIC card for free. I was wary of letting the guy crack open my computer, but figured I could unf**k anything he screwed up, so away we went.

When I built my new computer, I bought a BFG tech mobo with ethernet and USB ports built in. The case had usb ports in front, AND I put a USB card (so I have like 10 usb ports---no more hub on my desk!) Anyway, I got a wireless router and the ethernet stuff was so easy, I was surfing without actually having loaded the software.

OTOH, for some reason, my laptop--which is an old (2001) dell does not like the high speed. The wireless card gets a crappy signal (PSP works fine, though), and the ethernet port on it would never work--but it will dial out on the modem side just fine.

I haven't noticed any difference in speed between the USB and Ethernet connections.

Not to interject or supercede anyone, Ethernet NIC's have always out-performed usb connections in my experience. Though a USB connection will "work", I think usb connections on cable modems may have been added as an alternative to the Ethernet port when a nic just can't/won't be available. ( like a customer who wants the service but won't let you install a nic , even for free!)

Ethernet cards are designed for networks, and so are cable modems..... the usb is more geared toward slower, plug and play stuff....like a mouse, or printer. Usb connections tend to be more straining on a pc, esp. if the pc is a host in a network environment, and Usb is kinda quirky at best. Most pc's will readily accept a pci (or even an old isa) NIC and rock those packets way better than the usb connection.....(I actually have run several tests , both numeric speed tests, and experience based tests--which I like to call "my mmorpg runs like crap on usb modem")

Sadly, many tech's are too LAZY to install a NIC , even though they are trained and instructed to do so. usb seems easier because it doen't require opening the pc.

And as always when the going gets rough, rebuild the winsock.Works like magic.

I am an installer/technician for cable services, internet included, and have no qualms with being corrected if wrong, and will entertain questions if need be.
Hope to have helped

-Lucky

Last edited:
I never have any problems playing battlefield on the PC with that USB modem hook up. Man, I ain't played that in a while. I guess 5 months of dial up will kill the interest in you, no?

Sadly, many tech's are too LAZY to install a NIC

Actually, many techs are told by their corporate bosses to use whatever is available first, be it USB or an already installed ethernet card, instead of opening up someone elses PC and putting new hardware in. I agree that putting in a NIC is not complicated. But after seeing people installed now for about 7 years, hi speed internet has moved from the die-hard users to everyone including Internet virgins. As soon as you open up a PC for a novice user, you have just become their IT guy for as long as they have your internet service. When something doesnt work right, all they know is that you were inside the computer 'messing around'. I have seen hundreds of unnecessary trouble calls run on for this reason alone. That costs a lot of money and it takes away from the legit people that need some help. I have also seen multiple computer systems purchased for people who insist that putting a NIC in caused their PC to crash months later. If it was up to me, we would have never started opening up any computers, it only makes you liable down the road.

Well in oralndo we use to give away free nic cards, but now adays because so many pcs come with them we no longer do this, and if you dont want to pay the 40$ to have the card installed we will use USB. USB is also good for the older pcs who we dont want to wait 15-20mins to install the nic card drivers and set it up. Plug in the usb and install a driver and done..

However usb is alot slower then ethernet... Most your nic cards are 10/100 so they can really max out your internet service if its 10mbit or even up to 100mbit.. USB 1 however is limited to 2mbit. So if you pay for 10mbit braodband and you use usb you are stuck with 2mbit only. so itd be worth the upgrade.. and if your pc has usb2 then you can push i believe 5mbit? (but if your pc is new enough to have usb 2 and not a nic card then you are an idiot for buying it) kthx

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)