Comcast raises cable modem fees by almost $20

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Got my new bill from Comcast for high speed internet.
They raised my previous Adelphia cost from $42.95 to $59.95, almost 20 bucks.

All I can say is, "Hello Verizon DSL"

Verizon DSL is $34.99/month (for first year, $42.99 after) for 3.0Mbps down/768Kbps up for naked DSL, so looks like I'm going to switch to them.

Got my new bill from Comcast for high speed internet.
They raised my previous Adelphia cost from $42.95 to $59.95, almost 20 bucks.

All I can say is, "Hello Verizon DSL"

Do you have any kind of TV service? That sounds like their internet without TV service price. Here in Chattanooga, internet with TV is $42.95/mo, internet with out TV service is $57.95. In this area you can get Limeted basic cable TV for
aprox $10/mo, you could add this and it will still be cheaper then internet buy its self, but DSL is still cheaper, however in my area with Ceturytel, to get DSL you have to have phone service and I get my phone from Via-Talk.

I would call Comcast and see if they will price match what Verizon charges. They did it for me.

Here in Denver, they compete with Qwest DSL and I have their 8MB/768k service for $29.99 a month.

Sounds like you are HSI only customer and that is the normal price and always has been. It's incentive to get cable service so you get it for $43.

elwaylite said:
Sounds like you are HSI only customer and that is the normal price and always has been. It's incentive to get cable service so you get it for $43.
That may be true for other areas, but not here, at least before comcast took over adelphia.

Prices with Adelphia:
with cable - $32.95/mo
without cable - $42.95/mo

New Prices with Comcast:
with cable - $42.95/mo
without cable - $59.95/mo

$10/mo jump with cable
$17/mo jump without cable

Verizon is going to only be $34.99/mo for the first year, and $42.99 after, so there is no need to stay with Comcast.

I will not add basic cable to get the lower price as it will wind up costing more, since basic cable here is $17/mo but it subjects you to extra taxes and franchise fees for which internet only is exempt, and I could care less about basic cable as I already have satellite. I have also comfirmed with Verizon that I can get dry DSL (w/o phone service), and it will only have a $2.70/mo communications tax, no other fees. There's even a $24.99/mo plan if I want to be capped at 768kbps instead of 3.0Mbps.

Yes, and you are going to see them doing more of this since the FCC just stated that the cable monopolies are now null and void. While it may take some time to get another cable company in the area we are all going to get hosed in the mean time.

My broadband through CC is $52.95 without TV, the combination of lifeline cable and broadband is going to lower it by about $8, so I guess I'll put it in though I'll never watch it. I've got D*.

at least before comcast took over adelphia

This comment sums it up. COMCAST has always been like that, did you think they would buy someone out and not change the policies.

And go ahead and pay less for DSL. I found out the hard way that there is a reason DSL is cheaper, IT SUCKS. Did not take me long to be glad to pay an extra $15 a month for 6mbit speed.

Yes, and you are going to see them doing more of this since the FCC just stated that the cable monopolies are now null and void. While it may take some time to get another cable company in the area we are all going to get hosed in the mean time. QUOTE]

So you mean to tell me that anywhere in the U.S. there can legally be as many cable companies in an area just like DSL and phone companies? This would be GREAT news seeing how badly cable sucks in my area and the neighboring cable company has great internet service.

And go ahead and pay less for DSL. I found out the hard way that there is a reason DSL is cheaper, IT SUCKS. Did not take me long to be glad to pay an extra $15 a month for 6mbit speed.
For the things I do online, 3Mbps down with Verizone is more than enough, especially for $25 less. My VoIP would even get better as Verizon gives twice the upload speed as Comcast.

What they said is if Podunk Township has given Comcrap cable a franchise for their town that they are no longer legal. The FCC said that those are now void and anyone can come in and compete. I don't know all the details about this as I've not gotten to do all my homework as to when this starts, if not immediately, but it did get approved.

Unfortunately for me, Comcast got Adelphia in my area, and also just bought the other provider (Suscom) in the area, so now it's a Comcast here.

This comment sums it up. COMCAST has always been like that, did you think they would buy someone out and not change the policies.

In my neck of the woods, DSL is $24.95 for 3M/512K. It is affordable, and definitely doesn't suck. It's relatively fast. And, it works consistently. OTOH, I have a friend with Comcast HSI, and it seems to be down an awful lot. I believe they pay about $44, as well, almost $20 more than I do.

Comcast is always asking me to switch. I have no reason to. When U-Verse comes down my street, I might switch to that. Same price. Same download speed. But, 1M up. Or, maybe I'll spring for the extra $10 and jump up to 6M/1M. Still way cheaper than Comcast, and about the same speed. (Of course, the money I save on the TV end will be enormous compared to Comcast.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)