Comcast raising some rates on Feb. 1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Chris Freeland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Collegedale, TN
Comcast raising some rates on Feb. 1
Other television programming providers also expect increases.
By Mike Pare Staff Writer

Comcast is increasing the cost of its most popular cable TV service by 4.3 percent in the Chattanooga area starting Feb. 1, the company’s local general manager said.
Customers with Comcast’s preferred 67-channel service will see the price rise $2 a month to $48.50, Geoff Shook said.
He said installation costs also increase from $34.81 to $37.99. Comcast has extended installation service with weekend appointments, he said.
Comcast will keep rates steady on basic 12-channel service and high-speed Internet connection, he said.
Spokesman Nick Pavlis, of Charter Communications which also services parts of Northwest Georgia and Southeast Tennessee, said rate hikes are "a necessary evil."
"As every year, the cost of doing business catches up with you," he said. Mr. Pavlis said he isn’t sure about the timing of an increase for Charter.
Some rates are going up because of an increase in business costs and the addition of new technologies, Mr. Shook noted. The 4.3 percent increase is less than a national average of about 7 percent that cable companies projected last fall.
Although the rate increase is Comcast’s lowest this decade, the company’s rate for preferred service has risen 52.6 percent since 2000, figures show.
Comcast customer Richard Dixon, of Chattanooga, thinks the charge is too much, but probably will keep the service.
"I believe Comcast has got a monopoly," he said.
George Hannah, also of Chattanooga, said he’s retired and rate increases cut into his limited income.
"It’s already too high," he said.
Mr. Hannah said he may move to satellite TV service.
Chattanooga area Comcast subscribers, however, aren’t alone in having to pay more for television service.
Mark Cicero, a spokesman for satellite TV company Dish Network, said its overall rates are expected to rise about 4 percent this year. He cited the higher cost of programming.
"We notified our retailers of that fact," Mr. Cicero said.
Comcast, with about 130,000 customers in Southeast Tennessee and Northwest Georgia, last boosted rates in Chattanooga on Feb. 1, 2005, by 6.2 percent for preferred service.
Mr. Shook said the company added 11 channels to its total lineup last year. Early this year, he said, the company plans to offer the 3 Angels broadcasting network, which is family-oriented fare and one of Comcast’s most requested. In February the company plans to introduce video-on-demand service, which Mr. Shook called "TV completely on your own schedule."
In addition, the company is interested in providing telephone service, he said.
"We’re making plans, and we’re investing in new technologies," he said.
The company hired 20 workers in 2005, raising its head count to 270 employees, he said.
E-mail Mike Pare at mpare@timesfreepress.com

This story was published Monday, January 02, 2006

I am Happy we are getting 3ABN and VOD, the latter being promised for at least a couple of years now. Even though the article states VOD starts here in February, I noticed it in the menu on Friday and have played with it over the week-end, some of it appears not to be loaded yet and some things are listed that I can not access yet, but over all I think I am going to like VOD. How often do they update the VOD? Even though their is a $2/mo increase which I am never thrilled with, it is not bad and no more of an increase then E*this year and the addition of 3ABN and VOD helps make the increase worth it.