Comcast receiver DCT-6200 question

alsie731

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 29, 2004
Peabody, MA
I'm a former VOOMer that has switched to Comcast in the North Shore area of Mass (Peabody).Have the HD package with Digital plus and am very disappointed with picture quality and the way the HD stations fill my Panny DT-50LC13 screen as compared to the way it was with VOOM. Have to admit at times I use my VOOM for my local HD stations. I realize many stations are really analog with Comcast and some higher numbered stations have good digital quality but is there a secret menu on the remote that allows some changes to be made. Got no idea what resolution is being sent to my set as if I'm even close to 1080 with my Comcast broadcast locals.Seems like locals with Comcast are a much smaller picture than with using the VOOM receiver to get the locals. The only thing I like about Comcast at this point is seeing the Sox in HD on NECN but when Fox broadcasts it in HD the VOOM local broadcast so far outshines Comcasts. At this point HD is really a bummer with Comcast and if DTV ever get's there stuff together would go back to being 100% digital but they really could care less about HD channels. Any feedback would be appreciated. Just frustrated at this point.

Comcast DCT-6200 Menu

Hello,

To access the Setup page on the DCT-6200
Press Power to switch the unit off
Press Menu

User Settings Screen
Here you can select:

TV Type: 16:9 4:3 LB or 4:3 Pan & Scan

YPbPr output: 1080I, 720P, 480P, 480I

4:3 Overide: 480I, 480P or OFF

Note: TV Type 4:3 Pan & Scan is quite poor - clearly digitally zoomed picture with obvious pixelation.

Selecting 480P and 16:9 stretches HDTV content vertically and works well with a 4:3 EDTV. Has none of the pixelation that 4:3 P & S had.

When 4:3 Overide is set to 480 - regular Analog and Digital Cable signals fill the screen nicely.

Unfortunatley 4:3 'HDTV' has grey or black bars on either side and I couldn't find any settings to remove those so I usually avoid that content or use my TV's Zoom.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Neil

Note:

I bought a Sharp Aquos 13" EDTV that I have set up in front of my Gazelle treadmill (to encourage me to use it).
It excels with DVD's (Progressive Scan) but is also surprisingly good with HDTV. It can accept and downconvert 1080I, 720P as well as 480P/I and can also display UK PAL DVD's at 576P.

I thought I would test the water with it and then buy a larger TV later in the year if I am still enjoying HDTV content.

Thanks Neil

Info was much appreciated and settings were where they should be and what a bummer. I was so hoping something was off and a correction would make me happy but wasn't so. Wish I had never had VOOM and I might have been satisfied with Comcast but VOOMs picture quality (not it's content) ruined me.I had had DTV for years but dropped them when they lied about getting locals in HD (had a bunch of people over to watch the Super Bowl in HD) and they couldn't provide the HD broadcast. To date they still don't have my locals in HD and it's been over 2 years. Benefits of Comcast is able to do analog on other TV's in the house with no box fee but going back to DTV with additional boxes stinks. I'm getting close to just having the minimum cable and going back to DTV (Oh; I hate saying that because they don't give a rat's a@% either.) My doctors office has the small monitors in the office and HD is awesome on those screens but it just isn't so when signal goes to the larger screens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)