Comcast running out of bandwidth?

oregonmedia

Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
Portland, Oregon
I run a website about media in Oregon, and our comments have filled up overnight with complaints about how Comcast's signal has deteriorated the last two nights on local channels. People are experiencing tiling as well as full audio and video loss. There's speculation that packets are being lost because of too much demand at night during primetime for popular fall shows. Does this seem possible?

Since I'm a new user here, I can't post links yet, but this is a "short link" that you can copy in your browser's URL field, if you'd like to see what people are reporting: 3.ly/jLy

You can also go to oregonmediacentral [dawt] com and scroll down till you see "Comcast problems every night?"

I'm going to contact Comcast, so please let me know what you think this might be, and I'll be able to ask better questions. Thank you!

I'd say the Dishes are starting to come loose or something.

We've had the techs come out twice this month to please the bill-payer, and I'm having one later today.

They can't find anything at our place.

I've seen the screens before, and I know it's at the head-end/down-link/what ever it's called where the dishes are taken and converted to channels.

Call it growing pains.
Channels 33-71 switched from analog to digital and the equipment there is either new, or is new to them...

The Comcast rep wasn't very specific about what it was. Something about routing issues in the region. Can anyone here figure out what this might have been code for (if it was code at all)? The story's at oregonmediacentral [dawt] com — scroll down to "Comcast: nighttime cable reception problems resolved." Thanks!

What the tech said was 2 pieces of headend equipment were talking over each other.

As clear as we could get was something like two "QAM modulators" had been assigned the same "address"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)