Comcast Sales Pitch -

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

glenn z

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Comcast just wired my subdivision. The sales guy was going door to door and tried to get me to switch. I repeatedly told him I was happy with my service and was looking forward to getting a HD DVR. He said, "Oh, we have one of those coming out in January". I questioned him about it but of course he didn't have any details. Pretty interesting.

Adelphia is also rolling out SD and HD PVRs starting in January as well. However, still not as much HD offerings (other than locals) as Dish has to offer (i.e. no ESPN-HD, Discovery, etc.). But they've been adding about a channel per month of HD lately.

Here's some info on the Motorol HD-PVR box that they'll be rolling out. Yep, it doesn't have all the capabilities that the 921 has, but then again you don't have to shell out $1K for the box either.

http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2003/12/comcast_set_to_.html

Consumers dont care if it has less capabilities if they do not have to pay any or a heck of a lot less for the hardware, or can get it for a monthly rate without having to pay a lot up front.

Wally, where did you get the info on Adelphia pvr? I signed up with them today. I was told that espn-hd is coming very soon.

I am testing a Motorola 6208 from Comcast now. As an HD PVR, it's great. The hard drive space is limited (80GB), but since it's the only thing out right now, I'm happy with it.

There are reportedly several bugs with the current firmware, which will be fixed shortly. After 3 days, I haven't experienced any of the issues they warned me about.

Our local cable Co. is using these (motorola 6208)starting next week (Dec 30) I am seriously considering switching.....Dish just got our locals up a few months ago and I am very disapointed with the picture and audio quality (CBS is unwatchable) They claim to be aware of the problem but seem unable to fix it...

deathopie said:
Wally, where did you get the info on Adelphia pvr? I signed up with them today. I was told that espn-hd is coming very soon.

I had to call their national cable support number. It took some prying, but I got them to finally say that the PVRs are coming starting in January. And it will be a national rollout. Of course, exact timing for each local office might vary.

The 80meg PVR (mentioned above) must be SD. I would only be interested in an HD PVR.

According to Insight cable's website with the DVR it only has 1 tuner. If you are recording a show you can't watch another live program, only a recorded show. Where I live CBS and ABC are both broadcasting HDTV. Insight only carries the CBS feed. A friend of mine has the nonDVR box with Insight and it won't allow you to feed OTA into it so he can't get ABC. I don't know if the DVR box will do this. My 6000 allows this and so will the 921.

glenn z said:
Comcast just wired my subdivision. The sales guy was going door to door and tried to get me to switch. I repeatedly told him I was happy with my service and was looking forward to getting a HD DVR. He said, "Oh, we have one of those coming out in January". I questioned him about it but of course he didn't have any details. Pretty interesting.

What does this post have to do with Dish Network.

jerryez said:
glenn z said:

What does this post have to do with Dish Network.

It's to let people know, that may not, that they might want to look into alternatives. Comcast has at least commited to do Starz-HD and Cinemax-HD, channels that Charlie has stated that aren't worth carrying. It also lets people know that Comcast has started to pilot a HD PVR, while not as feature rich as the 921 it also will be something that you could rent vs. spend $1,000 on, assuming you can get one.