comcast sports net

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgreenage

Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
philadelphia pa
We were led to believe that the NBCU Comcast merger would have a side effect of Directv being able to purchase the rights to CSN. Here we are today and still no CSN. Does anyone know what the barriers to this happening might be? I did switch to Comcast to get CSN but the user interface is horrible. Their DVR's are poor. And their customer service really is not helpful. So I'm back at Directv. But without CSN.

easy....
CSN Philly asked for a s**tload of money to carry it and D* and E* gave them the finger

Actually CSN Philly is trying to play the "well we lost our monopoly...now we want Directv to give up their monopoly AKA NFL ST"

Both providers formally asked for access to the channel on June 25, 2010. [3] On July 28, 2010, it was reported that Comcast is in talks with DirecTV and Dish Network for carriage of CSN Philadelphia. [4] Two days later, after accusing Comcast of refusing to negotiate in good faith, Dish Network said it will file a complaint with the FCC. [5][6] The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia upheld the original FCC's ruling on June 10, 2011. [7]

Now here's my thought on this, if Comcast asks too much money per subscriber, why not make it an optional channel? That way folks like myself, who would enjoy being able to watch Flyers games again, other than the few I can see when they play the devils, rangers, or islanders since I do get MSG, would have the choice of paying what comcrap is asking. I like D*, but would really like to have CSN at a reasonable cost. So c'mon, D* make it happen. I'd love to see how Comcast's business would fare in the area if D* was able to broker a deal.

easy....
CSN Philly asked for a s**tload of money to carry it and D* and E* gave them the finger

Actually CSN Philly is trying to play the "well we lost our monopoly...now we want Directv to give up their monopoly AKA NFL ST"

But NFL ST isn't a monopoly for Direct TV...they were the highest bidder for the package. If Comcast would've outbid Direct TV for Sunday Ticket they could have the 'monopoly'. Comcast was too cheap.

But NFL ST isn't a monopoly for Direct TV...they were the highest bidder for the package. If Comcast would've outbid Direct TV for Sunday Ticket they could have the 'monopoly'. Comcast was too cheap.

I know...I'm just relaying what I have read. Comcast thinks that if the NFL ST was opened up to everyone it would be cheaper (like it is in Canada)

Yeah we aren't going to get anything like ala carte "packs" like in Canada for a long time... I have to move to cable due to LOS sight issues at a new rental, and I thought Comcast (as evil as they are) were finally going to lead the charge on ala carte--in my Seattle market as well as a few others, they are offering MyTV Choice, and promoting the hell out of it for the last month or 2--see Introducing the All New MyTV Choice? ...seemed like a pretty good deal--I wanted to ditch the Sports and Kids channels right off the bat (the "Get Started Plus" is the exact same as Get Started, only 20 bucks cheaper and no ESPN of RSN)--until I went to order...

Here is how you can tell Comcast *really* doesn't want to really put their muscle behind this (seems like more of a CYA strategy the more I look at it), and why MyTV Choice is worthless PR garbage:
1. You can't get it without a triple play--my cell phone is my only phone. I don't need their voice--fail
2. They cannot apply ANY promotions to the package--e.g. the 2 for 1 movie channel deal for 2 years--double fail
3. If you get MyTVChoice they charge the $10 HD access fee, even with a CableCard (I bought a Tivo Premiere) With Digital Premiere they gave me free HD for life (after I told them I was a D* customer and would be switching back as soon as physically possible unless they blew me away with how great they were) on my CableCard, and a 2nd Motorola HD box (non DVR) for free upstairs--triple fail (although it ties in with #2)

SO when it came right down to it, MyTV Choice with 2 of the packages gone, and HBO & Showtime added (with the most minimal local phone service possible), 10 meg internet and the HD fees were ~$150 per month, whereas their Digital Premiere package with 2 for 1 movie channels for 2 years, free HD for life on my CableCard w/ an extra HD box for upstairs for free, and 20 meg internet service was priced for me at $99 bucks for 2 years ($159 after)--and the CSR (local guy) told me that in 2 years to call and say you're going back to D* and it will be extended over and over. He also said that less than 5% of people who call for MyTV Choice end up getting it and that it was designed to NOT be a good deal unless you need the phone, and only need the most basic of digital cable without HD.

My point is that I feel like Comcast didn't screw me--but that their advertising for this ala carte scheme is basically a lie--and that they'd rather give me a great deal on their regular packages and match the free HD for life that D* has--so that about a year from now (I hear it now), they can lobby against it with the industry because "We tried offering ala carte, and less than 5% of people took us up on the offer--they prefer our full packages instead".

--Nat

Sad about ST. That seems to be DirecTV's bread and butter, but I think that if ST went to multiple providers, DirecTV wouldn't lose much subs. Many people are very loyal to their provider, and DirecTV wouldn't be losing anything to make people leave. They would have to adjust pricing to match that of the competition. The "ST Monopoly" argument is to be blamed only on the NFL, who would rather limit access because they prefer to keep their games on broadcast television. Start spreading out the schedule so that RSNs would carry the games and CBS and FOX would only have a game of the week like SNF on NBC, MNF on ESPN, and TNF on NFL Net, then good old Roger would change his view very quickly. Look at the NHL and NBA who do well being on practaly every provider. I wouldn' include Extra Innings, because the MLB tried the same bull crap, but government stepped in.

Also, I'm suprised that Comcast is still using that argument, since the start of NFL Red Zone. Really, Comcast is only trying to gain money, because obviously ST costs much moe than RZ, despite RZs success.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)