Comcast-Universal Deal Approved - good for DirecTV subscribers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chudgins63

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
This should mean that the remainder of the Comcast owned stations, such as CSS in the Southeast, are coming to D*. This is good news for SEC sports fans as CSS now carries a good number of games with the new ESPN deal signed last year. The Feds made Comcast agree to a whole slew of restrictions before approving, one of which is that they can no longer deny local sports and news stations from other providers. See link to USA Today article...

Comcast-NBC deal includes provisions to protect public - USATODAY.com

Does that mean DIRECTV will get G4 back which is owned by Comcast? I doubt it.

This merger is not good for any of us. :(

How is this bad for everyone?

The new combined company can't keep its networks or programs — including local sports and news services — off of rival satellite or telephone company pay TV services. If Comcast and the rival can't agree on contract terms, the rival can ask an arbitrator to resolve the matter within 90 days.

I smell Comcast Philadelphia.

The new combined company can't keep its networks or programs — including local sports and news services — off of rival satellite or telephone company pay TV services. If Comcast and the rival can't agree on contract terms, the rival can ask an arbitrator to resolve the matter within 90 days.

When you can see it, let me know.

Seems like you answered your own question. The Comcast Philadelphia issue was set straight months ago and Comcast still isn't making a reasonable offer. Now Comcast is swinging a much, much larger club.

Mega quasi monopolistic corporations are always bad for Americans. Unfortunately, it is in our DNA to think they are good with our pedigree because they evolved faster than the common mindset.

In about two years the hammer will drop as will channels (or prices will take a serious jump.)

local sports so will D* get comcast network Chicago aka CN100 and comcast network Chicago over flow AKA CN101?

Status
Please reply by conversation.