Help build a Direct TV system for me, still unsure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kemo46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Texas
I am trying to decide between Dish and Direct. Both services have positives and negatives so i need your help. Please correct any of my info if i list anything that is not correct, this will help me decide. PLEASE BUILD MY DIRECT TV SYSTEM IF YOU WERE IN MY POSITION.

1. I have 3 HD TV'S in 3 rooms. I like the feature of being able to watch recorded programs on all boxes. I will have a wireless home network and I am open to having more than 1 DVR's. I really like the cinema plus feature.

2. I would like the capability of recording more than two shows at once if that is possible, even if I have to get a 2nd hd-DVR. Can you watch ALL recorded shows on both DVR'S in ALL rooms?

3. The HR 24 seem like the most advanced receiver dtv offers, will this work with what I am trying to do? Do you have to have the whole house DVR service to be able to watch the recorded programs in all rooms?

Listed below is what I have come up with if I go with Direct TV. Please add comments and what you would change and why.

1- HR 24 HD-DVR receiver for TV 1 HD. ( record 2 shows)
1- SOLO HD receiver OR 1 more HR24 HD-DVR for tv 2 HD. ( record 2 shows)
1-SOLO HD NON-DVR RECEIVER for TV3 HD. ( what model number is best ?)

Can you choose your model numbers you prefer or do they just send what they have?

I am open to the 2nd dvr so I can record 4 shows at once but not a deal breaker.

The negative is the extra upfront for the 2nd DVR. Do you expect this fee to be reduced or go away anytime soon?

What would you change and are my remarks correct?

Thank you for your help.

IF you can afford it, I would get ALL HR 24's provided they bring them.
It all depends on what they have in your area.
Get everything you may want on your initial install as they will package recvrs together, but if you try to get different ones after the. Install, you'll pay full price like the rest of us.

The DVR is a fee that is monthly, but it covers ALL dvrs on your account, unlike DISH Network that charges a. Dvr fee for each one.

Dish Network only charges 1 DVR fee per account as well , Its $6

I agree with Jimbo, I would rather have all HD DVRs then pay $3 extra per month and have my whole family Fighing over who is recording what with 1 HD DVR and MRV.

I would push for 2 HD DVRs if you must have MRV.

I don't know about your house, but both my kids have stuff recording all day long.
1 HD DVR shared between 4 rooms would no way work in my house.

You are under the assumption that you will get 24 series receivers.
Sure, there is a better chance you will then won't at this point (at least in my area) but there is no guarantee (unless you go t a retailer maybe).

That being said, I would probably spend the money on upgrading a 2nd DVR instead.
Leaving you with the Free HD/DVR, Free HD, and paying for the 2nd HD/DVR ($199 I believe).
This will give you full DVR functions on 2 of the 3 TV's and no DVR functions for live TV in the 3rd room.
More then likely the kids won't be using those features on live TV anyways unless maybe they are older.
You can then record up to 4 shows at once and watch them on any TV.

KEMO

I was in pretty much the same situation. I got two HR24s and one H24. Make sure you order whole home DVR service upon ordering and pay the connect to the internet charge (was $25 when I signed up. Looks like it's free now) to ensure you get the DECA adapter. It will be 1 free HDDVR, 1 Free HD receiver, and $199 for the second HD-DVR. There will be one DVR fee for the account and $6 additional receiver fee.

About Dish (since I left them after 12 years):

They might give you a better upfront deal on receivers, but.... One DVR fee for the account $6. They will charge you $7 for the additional HD receiver per month and $17 per month for the aditional HDDVR. Very nice receivers, but no MRV. If you have family, Dish dropped the HD versions of Disney and ABCFamily. We watch those quite often.

S~

They might give you a better upfront deal on receivers, but.... One DVR fee for the account $6. They will charge you $7 for the additional HD receiver per month and $17 per month for the aditional HDDVR.S~
Not 100% True.

Dish Charges 1 per account DVR fee of $6 if you have the following:
They charge a $10 DVR fee if you have a 922 on your account.

1 st receiver is NO cost and the most expensive fee'ed receiver is the free one. Receiver fee's as Follows:

• Solo Room 301,311,vip211,vip211k,vip411 Are $7 per month on the 2nd receiver and above.
  • Solo DVRs 512,vip612 Are $10 per month
  • Dual Room NON DVR 322,vip222, Are $14 per month
  • Dual Room DVRs 522,625,622,722,722k Are $17 Per month
  • Solo/Dual Slingloaded vip922 Are $20 each if you have 2 or more of them on your account
So if I have a 922,and 2 Vip 722k on my account the, DVR fee would be $10 and the fees would be,$34. For a Total of $44

Now if I had 3 Vip 722ks the DVR fee would be $6 but my Receiver would still be $34 for a total of $40.
It can be quite confusing!

True, but They don't do 922 installs as part of a basic startup unless you specifically ask for one. Otherwise they use 722s.

S~

True, but They don't do 922 installs as part of a basic startup unless you specifically ask for one. Otherwise they use 722s.

S~
Thats true, But thats has no effect on the monthly fees What so ever . The fee's are as follows above.

And D* doesn't hand out all HR24 even if you ask them for one.

Regardless of the setup, you can still not watch recorded shows from the 922 in other rooms, is that correct?

Thats true, But thats has no effect on the monthly fees What so ever . The fee's are as follows above.

And D* doesn't hand out all HR24 even if you ask them for one.

Which is exactly what I said. $7 for the HD receiver, $17 for the additional HDDVR, and $6 for the DVR fee.

Depends on the area. With MRV, my area only does the 24 series and has for the past 6-7 months. Which is exactly what I said. $7 for the HD receiver and $17 for the additional HDDVR.

S~

Regaurdless, I wouldn't want a 922 even if I could watch it in everyroom in my house, Unless D* was providing the content.:D

From what I understand the 922 has the ability to do a second room in HD . But Don't know how, and don't really care.:)
$200 lease fee and $10 per month , and the Dish Network Business for me are Deal Busters!:)

I was just clearing up the fee's to make it more accurite.:up

Which is exactly what I said. $7 for the HD receiver, $17 for the additional HDDVR, and $6 for the DVR fee.

Depends on the area. With MRV, my area only does the 24 series and has for the past 6-7 months. Which is exactly what I said. $7 for the HD receiver and $17 for the additional HDDVR.

S~
Its not $17 for Every addtional HD DVR
VIP 612's are only $10 as I stated in my Chart.
This is a Single Room HD DVR

accurate. 612 is a POS.
S~
So are HR23,HR22,HR21. The receivers that 98% of D* Millions HD DVR customers are currently using currently.

Still doen't change the price or fee's.
I've a had 612 for 2 years, and it was the worst HD DVR E* had to offer, But it runs Circles around my HR23.

If your going to help the OP by quoteing other companys Prices fee's and eqiupment, atleast make sure its accurite.
VIP 612 wasn't around 12 years ago either.;):rolleyes:

Last edited:
So are HR23,HR22,HR21. The receivers that 98% of D* Millions HD DVR customers are currently using currently.

Still doen't change the price or fee's.
I've a 612 for 2 years, and it was the worst HD DVR E* had to offer, But it runs Circles around my HR23.

If your going to help the OP by quoteing other companys Prices fee's and eqiupment, atleast make sure its accurite.
VIP 612 wasn't around 12 years ago either.;):rolleyes:

I was with them for 12 years, not with them 12 years ago. I was a beta tester for them for over 7 years, including the 612. Most new installs for multiroom are now using the 24s. 98% of D* customers probably don't have MRV, either. It is easy to guarantee 24s by going through local dealers/installers rather than going through the web or doing a phone order. I was not inaccurate, I just omitted the 612 because I would never have one again even if I did go back to Dish, which is unlikely. I have had no real problems with the 24s since switching. Some things I like better on the D* receivers than on the E* receivers, and some things I like better on the E* receivers, although none are deal breakers.

For a D* install still: two HR24s and one H24. $10 MRV/whole home fee includes DVR fee, and $6 for each additional receiver.
For an E* install: one 722, and two 211's and activate EHD. You still then need to spend approximately $80-$100 for additional hard drives and $40 for the activation fee. $6 DVR fee plus $7 for each 211.

S~

I was with them for 12 years, not with them 12 years ago. I was a beta tester for them for over 7 years, including the 612. Most new installs for multiroom are now using the 24s. 98% of D* customers probably don't have MRV, either. It is easy to guarantee 24s by going through local dealers/installers rather than going through the web or doing a phone order. I was not inaccurate, I just omitted the 612 because I would never have one again even if I did go back to Dish, which is unlikely. I have had no real problems with the 24s since switching. Some things I like better on the D* receivers than on the E* receivers, and some things I like better on the E* receivers, although none are deal breakers.

For a D* install still: two HR24s and one H24. $10 MRV/whole home fee includes DVR fee, and $6 for each additional receiver.
For an E* install: one 722, and two 211's and activate EHD. You still then need to spend approximately $80-$100 for additional hard drives and $40 for the activation fee. $6 DVR fee plus $7 for each 211.

S~
Glad we got that out of the way now!
If I was going to compair the 2 I would get 3 VIP 612 and 3 HR's

Not 3 722 k's since thats 6 rooms of service.
Since 612 are ONLY $10 and not $17

accurate. 612 is a POS. Best bet with D* is two HR24s and an H24. If they don't bring 24s simply deny installation or go local, instead of phone or web, and guarantee 24s.

S~

If you are going to cancel because you don't get the receivers you want then don't bother ordering from Direct, instead just suck it up and go to a retailer.

Not fair that a technician drives out to your house, wasting his time and gas and having you ruin his completion ratio which with some companies lowers their pay because you don't get the equipment you want even though the stuff he brings is perfectly fine.

You could essentially be making the guy not only spend money, but lose money since he could have been doing another job that day where yours filled the slot, and if his pay is effected by his numbers, then you could be costing him $500 or more for the month.

Sorry but I bust my ass to keep my numbers up to stay on the top of our sliding pay scale.
I don't need people canceling because they don't get the receiver they want when I have no control over it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts