Help build a Direct TV system for me, still unsure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you are going to cancel because you don't get the receivers you want then don't bother ordering from Direct, instead just suck it up and go to a retailer.

Not fair that a technician drives out to your house, wasting his time and gas and having you ruin his completion ratio which with some companies lowers their pay because you don't get the equipment you want even though the stuff he brings is perfectly fine.

You could essentially be making the guy not only spend money, but lose money since he could have been doing another job that day where yours filled the slot, and if his pay is effected by his numbers, then you could be costing him $500 or more for the month.

Sorry but I bust my ass to keep my numbers up to stay on the top of our sliding pay scale.
I don't need people canceling because they don't get the receiver they want when I have no control over it.

I understand where you are coming from but if I am going to pay my hard earned money for equipment and monthly fees, I wat to get what I want. So if I am understanding correctly, if I go with Direct TV, It is a crap shoot on what receivers they bring me and the only way to guarantee that I get what I want is to go to a reatiler, is that correct? What I have read is if you go to a retailer, you lose the incentives and most discounts, is this true?
Thanks.

I see that you have this posted on both the Directv and Dish Fourms which is good if your looking to get info for both companies...But does the type of programming play a role in your choice as both do offer some different programming

I understand where you are coming from but if I am going to pay my hard earned money for equipment and monthly fees, I wat to get what I want. So if I am understanding correctly, if I go with Direct TV, It is a crap shoot on what receivers they bring me and the only way to guarantee that I get what I want is to go to a reatiler, is that correct? What I have read is if you go to a retailer, you lose the incentives and most discounts, is this true?
Thanks.

Exactly, it's your money. If companies want to make money, they need to put the customer first. That's how you guarantee return business and referals. That is how I operated my business. I never pushed equipment on my customers if that is not what they wanted. Before I sold it a few months ago, we did some installs of both D* and E*, only a super, super small portion though. As of about June, we could only use the 24 series for MRV installs if we had a new install. That goes for the other retail installers in my area, too, including the D* installers.

Depends on the incentive. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the additional $10 AAA discount for the first 20 months and a $5 website ordering rebate.

S~

I see that you have this posted on both the Directv and Dish Fourms which is good if your looking to get info for both companies...But does the type of programming play a role in your choice as both do offer some different programming

You are correct, I posted on both forums because I have not decided. I do like the programming better on Direct, it fits my family better and the MRV is a plus. The main thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is the customer service rating for Direct TV. I dismiss most of the complaints because most people do not take time to read their customer agreement. With that said, they do make things very difficult, things such as rebates and credits. Direct TV forces new online customers to take the 3 months free movie channels, you cannot uncheck that option. You must call and cancel if you do not want it, they do this for obvious reasons.

I have had some good feedback on the forum and it is making me feel a little better about Direct TV, just not good enough yet. I have found out over many years of life , normally where there is that much smoke, there IS usually a fire. The other main issue I have with Direct is it is hard for me to understand why it is up to them whether they send me the most up to date equipment or what they have in stock that day. I do not want their incentive to decide if I get old outdated equipment.

Thanks.

I won't argue with you there.
If I was going to set an account up for myself, I would wait until I know we had the equipment that I wanted in stock.
However, it doesn't change the fact that there is no way for me to guarantee equipment although there is a better then average chance that currently a customer will get 24 series receivers (in our area) but in a couple days that could change.

Fact of the matter is, (which I think you understand and are sympathetic to) a cancellation can be very costly to me (even if I didn't cause me to drop pay brackets, it would still cost me an average $100).

So yes, if you want a guarantee of equipment, then go to a retailer.
Otherwise, roll the dice.

Exactly, it's your money. If companies want to make money, they need to put the customer first. That's how you guarantee return business and referals. That is how I operated my business. I never pushed equipment on my customers if that is not what they wanted. Before I sold it a few months ago, we did some installs of both D* and E*, only a super, super small portion though. As of about June, we could only use the 24 series for MRV installs if we had a new install. That goes for the other retail installers in my area, too, including the D* installers.

Depends on the incentive. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the additional $10 AAA discount for the first 20 months and a $5 website ordering rebate.

S~

It isn't that D* doesn't put the customer first, it is there is no way to guarantee equipment as they refurbish equipment and put it out there.
Of course, you will have those who believe that is poor customer service too.
So, I guess D* could stop refurbishing receivers and give everyone new ones.
I wonder where you bill will be then?

D* and E* both refurbish equipment in order to keep their costs down and pass the savings on to customers.
If they gave new equipment every time then either bills would go up drastically, or you would buy your equipment outright (like you did years ago).
Personally, I feel the lower cost is better customer service then the guarantee of certain receivers to certain customers.

People have said, here and from D* themselves, that there is no way to verify the equipment, but I dont think that is totally true.

Year or so back when I had a box go out, they were shipping mainly 22 or 23 models. I specifically requested, several times explaining why I needed it, the HR-20 (which was the best until the 24 obviously), and the supervisor told me fine, he would take care of it. When the order was complete, online it had HR-20 listed, whereas other times it said simply HD-DVR (or something similar), and that is what I was shipped.

Even if that was a fluke, and it is not set up to specify, why not? Its a line to add to the system. Pretty simple stuff. The cast majority wont specify because they just dont know any better (and this may be why they dont have the option), but it would sure by nice for those of us that do.

You are correct, I posted on both forums because I have not decided. I do like the programming better on Direct, it fits my family better and the MRV is a plus. The main thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is the customer service rating for Direct TV. I dismiss most of the complaints because most people do not take time to read their customer agreement. With that said, they do make things very difficult, things such as rebates and credits. Direct TV forces new online customers to take the 3 months free movie channels, you cannot uncheck that option. You must call and cancel if you do not want it, they do this for obvious reasons.

I have had some good feedback on the forum and it is making me feel a little better about Direct TV, just not good enough yet. I have found out over many years of life , normally where there is that much smoke, there IS usually a fire. The other main issue I have with Direct is it is hard for me to understand why it is up to them whether they send me the most up to date equipment or what they have in stock that day. I do not want their incentive to decide if I get old outdated equipment.

For what it is worth, I think that how your problems are handled with D* (or any company) has to do with how you treat them in return. Obviously, there are some people who should not be anywhere near customer service as a profession, but for the vast majority of their workers, if you are nice and kind to them, they will do what they can (within reason) to help you out.

When I have a problem, I never call and bitch about it to the CSR, its not their personal fault. I call, make polite conversation, calmly tell them my problem, and work with them to see how we can get the problem resolved to both of our satisfactions. If they cant help, I ask that they move me along to a supervisor that can. I would say that I have been very pleased 99% of the time I have had to deal with D* customer support, and if I am making a recommendation on which to go to, I wouldnt let horror stories on message boards sway you. Just my two cents.

Hope that helps.

People have said, here and from D* themselves, that there is no way to verify the equipment, but I dont think that is totally true.

Year or so back when I had a box go out, they were shipping mainly 22 or 23 models. I specifically requested, several times explaining why I needed it, the HR-20 (which was the best until the 24 obviously), and the supervisor told me fine, he would take care of it. When the order was complete, online it had HR-20 listed, whereas other times it said simply HD-DVR (or something similar), and that is what I was shipped.

Even if that was a fluke, and it is not set up to specify, why not? Its a line to add to the system. Pretty simple stuff. The cast majority wont specify because they just dont know any better (and this may be why they dont have the option), but it would sure by nice for those of us that do.

That was them shipping you the equipment directly.
It probably involved somebody going back, looking for a receiver and making sure you got that one.

When you order new service, the tech gets the work order that day and goes to the warehouse and picks it up.
Certainly, I try and grab the latest equipment but equipment is also dated and if it sits in the warehouse too long, the company gets back charged.
Naturally these means aged equipment must go first.
Sometimes, all I may have available is HR20-23's (HR20's not so much and we usually only use these for non MRV jobs).
Of course, if I have a couple models on my truck and somebody makes a request, I will give it to them if I can, but that usually is not the case.

I've asked for certain receivers before, and I got the old "we can't garentee a specific model"

Of coarse Msmith you could request the HR 20, The D* warehouse I'm sure is full of them.

I've asked for certain receivers before, and I got the old "we can't garentee a specific model"

Of coarse Msmith you could request the HR 20, The D* warehouse I'm sure is full of them.

No kidding on that as they really try not send those out anymore. LOL
We as installers cringe if we get them (especially on MRV).

I have gotten that line nearly every time (few) that I have had to have one replaced or added on. This guy "seemed" like he was really going to help me out though after I had talked to him for a few minutes. Which is what a good customer service rep does.

I am not so sure when I got it. At that time, they were still being installed, just not as much as the newer ones.

I'll take one, you think they would let me trade in an R16 for one?

LOL, I doubt it but you can try.

Naturally you would prefer one over a standard def dvr.
However, would you trade another HD/DVR for one?
I wouldn't (but maybe that is just me).

NO WAY! If my HR23 craps out, They better come back with another HR23 or HR24.

For one I don't want a 320 GB HD DVR as my Main service, Bedroom sure it works.
I don't want Silver either.

OTA means nothing to me.

But for a Trade of my R16, I would take the HR20-700 without a complaint.

NO WAY! If my HR23 craps out, They better come back with another HR23 or HR24.

For one I don't want a 320 GB HD DVR as my Main service, Bedroom sure it works.
I don't want Silver either.
For me both would be a non issue, but I can understand that. Id take the faster working over a smaller hard drive since I have two that I can record and watch anything off on. And my living room DVR is in a cabinet. They can paint it pink for all I care :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts