Come on Voom, look what Cablevision has to offer.

Acerone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Long Island
Cablevision offers:

HBO HD
SHO HD
Starz HD
TMC HD
Cinemax HD
INHD
MSG HD
Fox Sports Net HD
CBS HD
Fox Widescreen Hi Rez
Local PBS HD

Ummm a Cablevision vs Voom debate

Let me take a shot at it. Cablevision... Yes! they are the only cable company that provides cable digital TV and HD channels in my area. It has taken Cablevision a long time to provide these channels. Before doing a switch think about this:

(1) How long is it going to take before they add the new ones that are coming?
(2) Price Hike is always a problem with Cablevision. It seems to go up every year.
(3) Don't have DVR and will be long before they do. That's how is being.

I will think that by 2/1/04 VOOM would look a lot better than Cablevision. By 2005, VOOM might already have DVR, Firewire, and more HD content. I do not see Cablevision competing with any DBS company. Hell! they cannot compete with TWC either. They move at the pace of a turtle... and I will not jump ship to their compelling HD channels now.

More on the exclusive HD channels. I think in the grand scheme of things VOOM will prevail at the end with these exclusive HD channels. Whether they remain as it or the format is changed. Think about it. Newsbyte will debut in January. Where else are you going to get HD news all the time? Nobody has had any vision whatsover to come up with an HD News Channel (24/7) at a national level. Only HDnet gives you HD news report.

The others channel I am sure will get more content. I think Voom is looking at these exclusive channels to sell their product. The others they can always get but these exclusive channels will not appear on Cablevision any time soon for the same reason that we will never see MSG-HD on VOOM.

If the FCC didn't make it so hard to carry distants, it would be easy for Voom to cark networks, The Dish CBS deal (which I have and took two approvals from different owned & non-CBS owned affiliates) I never watch as my local OTA is great.

Tim

Looking forward to HBO, Max though.

Thanks Tim for bringing the OTA issue. After the TWC tragedy, CV had a great chance to offer HD locals in NYC and capitalize on it since there was no OTA NYC (except CBS and Fox WideScreen). Now that most networks are back in their feet, there is no compelling reason to jump on CV HD locals. In New York City, I can get via OTA

CBS
ABC
NBC
Fox
UPN (what a disgrace to even mention!)
PBS

Not everone is in the same position I am but CV had a great opportunity to jump on locals HD when Time Warner Cable did and they opted out of that. Now that all the locals are back, they started offering locals HD and still do not carry ABC-HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts