Coming Back on Line...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CenterFreq

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Guys (and ladies if you are here),

I've been away for awhile and now I have relocated to west central Idaho. I decided to set up my Ku rig first, because it seems easier, and do the C later. To my horror, I find that Galaxy 10r is gone, and that was the bird that kept the peace in our house. With many network shows coming out of several cities, and three or four channels with ThisTV... my wife loved it and left me alone to play with my BUD and C band receiver. Is there another satellite with old TV shows and ancient movies I can point at? Thanks for you help!

Welcome back!
Well you have RTV and PBJE on 83W ku. Other than that for old shows you will have to get that C-band dish back up and point at AMC-1 at 103W. There you will get MeTV and ThisTV. Most of the stuff is all on C-Band, that I watch except for PBS on 87 or 125.

Last edited:
Wow, you just killed two birds (no pun intended) with one stone. Thanks ke4est, that should get me started with both setups!

ME and THIS (c-band) are on 101W not 103. I have a separate c-band and ku dish, and by far the best stuff is on c-band. But there's plenty on KU also. I would suggest this dish for ku: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DS-3100

Killer price ($119~ shipped right now, but price fluctuates higher at times), and the largest that can be shipped UPS!

Last edited:
ME and THIS (c-band) are on 101W not 103.

Don't know why I said 103, I Watch them on 101 all the time....maybe cause I used to watch on 103, or maybe cause it was so late.

Lots of PBS channels on 125w Ku...

...many of them in HD.

Most of the worthwhile English language channels are on C-band, as others have stated.

Have a look at The List on this site.

If I had to pick only one Ku sat now, it would be 125w. Especially if you can't get PBS with an antenna locally.

DSC_0008.JPGGuys, I should have made it clear that I already have a 1.2 meter and a 1.8 meter dish, one for each band. I hope the 1.8 will be able to handle C band, as it has not yet been deployed since I bought it. But I do appreciate the info from both of you, including the correction to 101 degrees. I am now going to try to figure out how to attach a photo of my 1.2 meter Geosat Pro, which I have just moved to a tree in our back yard. The bottom edge of the dish is 8'3" above the ground. Additional comments: Ok, now I remembered how to insert a photo. So now I have to decide between 83w and 125w for Ku. At this elevation in Donnelly, Idaho, we only get two regular TV channels; 4 and 7. I believe they both come off of some kind of tower up at NoBusiness Peak on West Mountain. Channel 4 gives us 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4, four different choices of PBS. Channel 7 gives us 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3, where we can watch British TV shows like "MI5". From what you've said, it looks like 83w is the way to go for us.

Last edited:
83w Ku would probably give you the most added entertainment value since you already get all four channels of Idaho PBS with an OTA antenna.

A little off topic, but you might worry about tree-mounting the 1.2m dish.
That pine IS a big sucker (18" dia?), but growth, temperature, & water absorption may affect aim, long term.
Keep an eye on it, and let us know. ;)

iPhone 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)