Coming back to dish...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. After looking at DirecTV and other options I decided I'll keep Dish around and signed up for the Classic Silver plus HD and Platinum tonight. So I can watch CU vs. CSU on my RSN tomorrow night. Even in the ballpark of $75 a month it's still a better deal than what I could have gotten with DirecTV after the discounts were up.

Like jokeworm I am staying with Directv until the end of my contract which for me is November 3 2009. Their handling of this Versus issue has really shown their hand as far as customer service is concerned. The tone in 3 email replies and one telephone call has been pretty much "Oh Well".
I do watch programming on Versus and had been considering a move anyway because of pricing issues, but this display of indifference will, I believe make that move inevitable.

With some of the recent comments on Direct's customer service if dish can tighten up a few more things, maybe they can make a move on Direct. I have been a Dish customer for six months and some good things have happened under my six months:

Added more national HD
Endzone Channel, would dish in the past have added this??

Just a couple things, as more national HD channels come available, if Dish can add those while Direct waits a bit, things could become intresting?? I am sure there are some Directv subscribers that enjoy sports but would also like to see more national HD added

How much did the early out cost? Did you have to send the equipment in or was it picked up?:D

Actually, DirecTV messed up so bad and tried to charge me for a month of programming on my American Express that I did not watch (June '09) and they had told me so many different figures for the early termination fee, that I contacted a special customer service department, (I dont remember the name, but I have it in a file some where) that they let me go without an early termination fee.

dish has a far better HD dvr receiver

i am glad to see that most people are figuring out that directv is a lot of hype,i have been saying this for years.and yes the dish network model 722 receiver is much better that any thing directv has.there are a lot of hidden things about directv that people are just now finding out,directv is not what they are hyped up to be.

directv is not what they are hyped up to be.

... but it was 18 months ago .... you can only make a decision based on the information that is available to you at the time that you are ready to make a commitment.

18 months ago Directv was a MUCH better deal for me personally than dish. If I had to make a call now - i'd probably lean towards Dish .... however when my contract is up in Feb ... Directv may have launched the satellite and have 30-40 more HD chanels than Dish again ...

There is a reason Dish was hemorrhaging subscribers ... there is a reason that that trend will probably start to decline in the next quarter or two ... but who can say what will happen after that ...

You can only make a decision based on what is in front of you RIGHT NOW or at the time you are ready to sign away your next two years ... promises and "indications/intentions" from either provider mean nothing .... they have both proven that much at least over the past few years.

:)

... but it was 18 months ago .... you can only make a decision based on the information that is available to you at the time that you are ready to make a commitment.

18 months ago Directv was a MUCH better deal for me personally than dish. If I had to make a call now - i'd probably lean towards Dish .... however when my contract is up in Feb ... Directv may have launched the satellite and have 30-40 more HD chanels than Dish again ...

There is a reason Dish was hemorrhaging subscribers ... there is a reason that that trend will probably start to decline in the next quarter or two ... but who can say what will happen after that ...

You can only make a decision based on what is in front of you RIGHT NOW or at the time you are ready to sign away your next two years ... promises and "indications/intentions" from either provider mean nothing .... they have both proven that much at least over the past few years.

I fully agree. I was one of those that made the switch to D* when E* was dawdling around with adding HD channels and removed Voom. I don't regret the change at all. Nor do I regret coming back to E* 'cause I can't stand the HRs from D*.

I get tickled when the 'loyalty' threads get started now and then. Both of D* and E* have only one loyalty, and that is to the bottom line. They do what they do to enhance that, and if that just happens to benefit the consumer that's OK too. They have a slew of marketing twits and accountants to keep their eye on that ball.

I don't have loyalty to any business, I have a business relationship with them. When they provide what I want and a price I want to pay, I get real 'loyal' for however long the contract is. At the end of the contract, all is fair game. My job is to get the most I can for my dollar, theirs is to figure out how to get the most of my dollars in their pocket.

I do not think Dish will make the mistake of falling behind again. The only thing I see that could hurt would be another launch failure or another satellite failure before the replacement arrives. Dish is on track right now to stay well ahead of DIRECTV in capacity, especially since they appear to be ready to start the 8PSK conversion on the Western Arc.

The thing about the satellite business is that you can never predict sudden failure of a satellite, and of course there is no hope of fixing and launching replacements takes years.

Yep I personally have been a good baramator on how this industry is doing. While I have been ripping on dish alot, I am seeing things that changes are coming for the better, and Im actually kind of happy where dish is going now. If they do the things that they said they are going to do as well as adding the content like HD RSN's and Noggin, and other HD channels they will do allright. This 8psk conversion is another innovative way that they can improve their bottom line. Directv cant do that, While Directv is launching a satellite in the future, I wouldnt expect the wave of HD they promised as they also have to launch LIL HD with those frequency's, and there are so many up there. If they are eating 5 transponders for spotbeams, well then that's 5 less for national HD. After this upcoming launch, I havent seen where D* plans on launching more! I think for the next 2 years atleast dish is the way to go, so bonvoyage D*

If they do the things that they said they are going to do

I wouldnt expect the wave of HD they promised

So you are happy to believe that Dish will do what they say they will do, but don't think that Directv will .... interesting ...

I personally don't believe a word either of them says until I see it with my own eyes.

Once Dish regains the upper hand I expect complacency to set in (again) and the good intentions to get put on the back burner (again) so that the almighty dollar in Charlie's bank account can again grow to record proportions.

As I said - i'll make the decision based on what they have got RIGHT NOW at the time i'm ready to commit to another 2 years.

;)

For me personally Directv would not have to add too much more to be back on par with Dish for the things I will watch .... If both have the shows that I want to watch at around the same price ... i'm sticking with Directv...

I suspect the $20 per month discount for the first x number of months and whatever else Dish will no doubt throw my way will sway me to switch out in Feb/March. Still - until the time comes ... we shall sit and watch with interest.

I can understand your concerns, and they are all valid points, Im just looking at it from a mathmatical point, on dish gaining tp space with 8psk conversions, and launching new sats to replace old ones. D* is launching new sats, but they plan on doing the whole world with this sat, Once D* adds the 8 movie channels (HBO, Cinimax) and the other missing channels such as travel, and WGN, they will be out of room on the new bird, Where as dish can lauch additional content besides RSNs in HD full time. I suspect that for a while, dish could have a 50 hd channel lead and that could be for a few years while directv gets busy launching new birds.

For me the money savings will be well worth it!! Right now with the NFL ST and my programming packages, im paying alot of money. I could see dish also doing away with HD fee's to push the why pay more for tv thing. But time will tell!

So you are happy to believe that Dish will do what they say they will do, but don't think that Directv will .... interesting ...
Dish has done just about everything so far that was planned and more in the past year and a half.
Even with a satellite failure.
I'm still waiting for all those HBO's/Cinemax that were promised, not to mention all the other National HD and Local D* doesn't carry.
E* seems to be going in the right direction. They had a Bumpy ride they past year,But all thats changing.
D* is not launching any new HD for atleast another 4 months,and now they dropped VS HD, so it seems D* is heading where E* once was. I like that fact that Red Zone only will cost me $5.99 extra , Instead of $300.

I wonder if REd zone will really be in competition with NFL Sunday ticket from Directv? Sure would be funny if DISH could do with the RED Zone, what DIRECTV has done with Nfl Sunday ticket.

I think the redzone channel could be a test for the nfl to see if the popularity of the ST could be provided to other providers. Think about it, test it unill 2012, and then offer it to everyone in a few years. More eyes usually is more revinue.

I think the redzone channel could be a test for the nfl to see if the popularity of the ST could be provided to other providers. Think about it, test it unill 2012, and then offer it to everyone in a few years. More eyes usually is more revinue.
Yep , More Eyes also makes for a lower price. Let D* piss off the NFL for a few years while they drop more and more ST subscribers because of the outragous price. And we'll see what happends then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)