Comment on my choices

cvictorg

Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
USA
My wife and I are replacing our old 32" Sony CRT and HTIB in a few weeks

The total budget for everything - TV, receiver, blu ray play and speakers is $3000

We've already decided on the Panasonic TC-P46S2 46" Class Viera S2 Series Plasma TV

For Blu Ray player I've narrowed the choices down to either the Denon DBP-2010CI or the Oppo BDP-83

For receiver I've also narrowed it down to 2 - the Denon AVR-591 5.1 CH or the Denon AVR 1611 7.1 CH - need your thoughts and comments

For speakers I've narrowed it down to a few choices and I need your thoughts and comments

Home Theater Direct Level 3 Bookshelf Package - 5.1 with Level 3 subwoofer
Hsu Research Enthusiast 1 Package
SVS Sound 5.1 Deluxe surround system with SBS-02 mains and PB12-NSD

Comments, thoughts, suggestions

Oops. I read this to be a duplicate of the BR thread..

The Denons are good. Make sure the model you are choosing has will decode the audio from HDMI. The cheaper ones didn't. Also see that the receiver does source up-conversion to HDMI. This allows you to connect to composite and component based sources, and then feed it all to the TV over 1 HDMI cable. Makes switching sources MUCH simpler.

You might also consider the ONKYO series of receivers. The 608 is very comparable to the Denon and usually cheaper for the same performance. I own both.

Sorry on the speakers. I'm not too familiar with your choices here.

Last edited:

I'm also asking for commenst on my choice of speakers

For speakers I've narrowed it down to a few choices and I need your thoughts and comments

Home Theater Direct Level 3 Bookshelf Package - 5.1 with Level 3 subwoofer
Hsu Research Enthusiast 1 Package
SVS Sound 5.1 Deluxe surround system with SBS-02 mains and PB12-NSD

Let's add one other
Ascend Acousticd 340SE's for the fronts and center, 170SE for the rear and a hsu research VTF-1 Subwoofer

Not doing well tonight. I was editing the previous response when you posted #3. Please look back for some receiver comments.

The Denons are good. Make sure the model you are choosing has will decode the audio from HDMI. The cheaper ones didn't. Also see that the receiver does source up-conversion to HDMI. This allows you to connect to composite and component based sources, and then feed it all to the TV over 1 HDMI cable. Makes switching sources MUCH simpler.

You might also consider the ONKYO series of receivers. The 608 is very comparable to the Denon and usually cheaper for the same performance. I own both.

Sorry on the speakers. I'm not too familiar with your choices here.

Interesting - the Onkyo 608 is about $20 more than the Denon but it has 100x7 as opposed to the Denon's 75x7

After reading around all your posts, one thing has not been mentioned and that is the size of the room. If you can have only a 46 inch TV I would consider another brand of A/V receiver in this mix. Volume(wattage) is not an issue in smaller settings and since you are going with a 5.1 I would look at receivers from Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha or Outlaw for example. Look at THD ratings.
Smaller rooms usually mean smaller speakers in order for it not to look filled. Many small form factors speakers sound very good for HT. Take a look at Mirage for example( No Bose)

Just food for thought

For receiver if your not opposed to "Refurbished" I just picked up my Onkyo 807 for just over $500 ($1099 new) and I couldn't be happier. Direct from Club Onkyo.

I am a die hard Polk fan when it comes the speakers, new egg just had the Monitor 60 Towers for $120 each.

Blue Ray Oppo is nice, still nothing is as fast as a PS3 at load times.

I also just got the Panasonic Plasma 50G25...it's rated the best non 3D set out currently.

New System

Lots of good suggestions here. I prefer Onkyo, as well. I have 2 in my home, and absolutely love them. I would also recommend getting at least a 50" Panasonic plasma. They not only look much smaller when you get them home, but they tend to "shrink" after a couple of weeks, as well. I replaced the 50" in my living room ( now doing grandkid duty in my den ) with a 58" plasma a few months ago. Now I wish I had gone ahead and gotten the 65"......;) . For Blu-ray, I would choose the Oppo. The only reason I don't have one is because I went full 3D on my current system, and Oppo doesn't yet offer a 3D BD player. As for your speakers....I would suggest getting whatever sounds good to you, but stay FAR AWAY from Bose ( Buy Other Sound Equipment ). There are MANY speaker manufacturers that are far superior to Bose and have prices that are much LESS than Bose. Listen to several and see what suits your tastes. . :D

Denon makes good equipment. But, it's not the easiest to deal with unless you're very familiar with setting up surround equipment. Denon remotes can be a nightmare also. If you end up going with Denon, be sure to get a Harmony remote. I'd also suggest Onkyo over the Denons. Onkyo is usually more bang for the buck. It's easier to setup and use also.

For speakers, you can't go wrong with the SVS set. They have great speakers packaged with an outstanding subwoofer. SVS makes some of the best subs on the planet. Hsu also does a good sub. Here is user reviews of the SVS speakers, at another forum, not professional reviews. You'll get an idea of the usual buyer's thoughts: The Official SVS Speakers Thread - Blu-ray Forum
Enjoy!

Onkyo was (historically) the first AVR maker whose sub-$1K receivers were capable of handling lossless audio from Blu-ray disks. I believe that helped them step into the first tier of AVR manufacturers.

The only problem with Onkyo AVRs is heat dissipation.
If your A/V rack is small and/or crowded make sure it has good air ventilation...

Diogen.