Commercial-free Channels ? (Non-Premium)

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
It occurred to me that all video channels have commercials, except for:

- Premium Channels (like HBO), which are supported by subscriber fees, rather than advertisements, and

- PBS & some Public Interest Channels, which are supported by government and donations (I'll allow between-program mention of sponsors, as long as there are no interruptions or sales pitches).

Have I missed any ?

It seems as though subscribers are paying for the privilege of watching more commercials than program content now. I think the big network programmers need to force more new channels on providers so they can sell more ads for programming that more and more people don't watch but continue to pay more for. More is better? Baloney.

There are certain Movie channels that are not in seperate "Premium packages" and don't have any commercials during the movies. A few networks have few commercials, and sometimes none during the average length show.

Yes they do.

HDNet-Movies doesn't - but that is a Premium Movie channel - it is supported by subscribers to HD Ultimate $10 package. Same with MGM.

I guess we're watching different shows on HDnet, because I don't remember commercials.

As for HDnet Movies, it didn't used to be in a premium package, there used to be only one HD package. (Not counting the stupid MPEG2-only package.)

I guess we're watching different shows on HDnet, because I don't remember commercials.

As for HDnet Movies, it didn't used to be in a premium package, there used to be only one HD package. (Not counting the stupid MPEG2-only package.)

Really hate to bring this up but its ''real'' hard not to.

The Voom channels had NO commercials!

Nick gas has few to 0 commercials. At least when it launched. They usually will take a break (because the original show was recorded with breaks) but its not commercials as much as its extra content. Like games or events.

hardly any content either

As the saying goes, " Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." There were a few Voom channels My wife and I enjoyed: Equator, HD News and HD Movies, to name three. My wife still complains that theses are gone and wishes we would drop Dish. Sometimes that thought is way too tempting.

BRING BACK VOOM! :up

The commercials are not nearly as bad as the new use of the splash over the bottem of the page for the first 5 min of the show after the commercial. Last night I was watching a show and after the commercial for their new show the posted a splash screen with more advertising of the same show then you are watching splash. Covering up the bottom of the show including writing. It seems all of the splash screens are for the station you are watching, like I dodnt know what station or what show I was watching. I think they are just t doing it because they can. Of course ther also is the countdown timer in the upper corner for a new show starting in 12:16:26:14 or what ever.

hardly any content either

16 Jun - Monsters HD
6:15 AM - Monster Dog
7:45 AM - Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
9:15 AM - The Thing from Another World
10:45 AM - Stargate
1:00 PM - Piranha Part II: The Spawning
2:45 PM - Frankenstein must be Destroyed
4:30 PM - Toolbox Murders
6:15 PM - Howling IV: The Freaks
8:00 PM - Phantasm IV: Oblivion
9:45 PM - Hands of the Ripper
11:15 PM - Vampire Lovers
1:00 AM - Countess Dracula
2:45 AM - Vampire Circus
4:15 AM - Nightmare on Elm Street IV
5:50 AM - The Beast must Die

All commercial free HD. Hey, where are all the repeats people are complaining about?

Mario

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)