compatable reciever for 18" dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scubabri

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Hemet, CA
We have an 18" dish at the office and I'd like to hook up a cheap reciever. What receivers will be compatible? dont need a dvr.

thanks

Brian

The 18" Dish will not work for HD. All HD programming is on other satellites which require a Slimline 3 or 5 lnb dish.

It might be better to just start up a new account, because then you would get a HD Receiver and Compatible Dish for Free, and you would get a discount on the cost of programming packages for 12 months. Only downside is you have to sign a new 2 year agreement.

Now, if you do want to own your own system, I recommend a D12, its the latest SD Receiver, and it has Directv Active on it.

They sell for about $15 to $25 used on eBay. A new one is $69.99

Dont need HD, we have an old sony 4:3 tv. On my home receiver, I have a little box that powers the LNB, will I need one with the D12? The ebay auction stated I may need a new access card, any idea how much one of those will cost?

thanks for the help.

Brian

Dont need HD, we have an old sony 4:3 tv. On my home receiver, I have a little box that powers the LNB, will I need one with the D12? The ebay auction stated I may need a new access card, any idea how much one of those will cost?

thanks for the help.

Brian

If you only want sd, just about any receiver will work except for the really old ones with no id number. BE CAREFUL BUYING FROM EBAY!!! Many of the boxes there are actually leased and Directv will not let you use them. Get the RID from the seller and ask Directv if it's a leased or owned box.
The little box you refer to is a power inserter and is only used in a swm setup. They are for hd only.

It all depends. You USED to be able to get a new account on the same access card. However most of the reps will say each card belongs to the owner, and your SOL unless you get a new one. I also remember the reps being able to unmarry a card from one receiver and marry it to another, but like I said, most reps will no longer do that.

If you tell them your a new customer, and own your own equipment, they MIGHT GIVE you a card for free, but don't hold your breath.

Normally a new one is $20, and I think they overnight them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts