Compatible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Weiss Man

Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
Happy New Year Guy's

I have a weekend getaway where I have a DirectTV phase III dish setup. I recently changed my service from Dish to DirectTV but my DirectTV D11 receiver will not lock in on 101W. I get all 0's on the signal strength. My FTA receiver will lock in if I hook it up to the same dish, with strong signal and quality. All I can think of is a compatibility issue or maybe there is a setup procedure that I don't know about. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Weiss Man

Using the dish location by zip code on your receiver make sure your settings are correct. Also it my be better to use the signal meter to find signal instead of transponders. Have someone stand in front of tv while on the phone with you to tell you if you get a signal. Once you set elevation slowly turn left and right till you get a signal. Are you using a multiswitch or running straight to the receiver? The dish satellite and DTV birds are not in the exact same location but it should be close enough to get some signal. Make sure that the system setup is correctly configured as well.

What do you have at home for sat setup? If the dish is aimed properly then just redo the satellite setup on the receiver. Should be set for 3 LNB

Happy New Year Guy's

I have a weekend getaway where I have a DirectTV phase III dish setup. I recently changed my service from Dish to DirectTV but my DirectTV D11 receiver will not lock in on 101W. I get all 0's on the signal strength. My FTA receiver will lock in if I hook it up to the same dish, with strong signal and quality. All I can think of is a compatibility issue or maybe there is a setup procedure that I don't know about. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Weiss Man

For starters, make sure the post is plumb. This is critical. Then double check the skew and elevation settings on the dish. When you set the azimuth, sweep slowly until you get a signal. Wait for the receiver to register it. Don't be in a hurry as it takes a few seconds to lock on the signal. If you need to make adjustments, don't rush, let the receiver lock on to the changes. You may need to change all three of the adjustments a little. Make sure you are aiming for the 110 satellite. All of the settings are in the receiver's menu.

Little confused, you said you have a DTV Phase III but you used to have Dish?

Assuming it is a DTV phase III, with a DTV LNB (not dish modified for your FTA) if you are just trying to hit the 101, it doesn't matter if the receiver is set up on an 18" dish or an 18x20 and seeing as it is a D11 I know it is not set SWM.

Go in to your menu check you dish settings for your zip.
Then make sure the skew and elevation are set right.
Then slowly sweep.
If you use the meter in the receiver then you can either turn the volume way up on the TV if you are by yourself and listen to the beeps or have somebody else inside watching for you.

Thank you to everyone, I think that my question has been answered. I have an 18" round dish with a single LNB. The receiver was still looking for that configuration.

sorry, new to site... got a similar question.
I purchased a new home there is a directv dish on the roof, and i have a bell reciever. can i get connection? bell customer service cant give me a straight answer and i dont want to pay the hook up if I need another dish? can anyone comment on weather i can get recepetion?

I purchased a new home there is a directv dish on the roof, and i have a bell reciever. can i get connection? bell customer service cant give me a straight answer and i dont want to pay the hook up if I need another dish? can anyone comment on weather i can get recepetion?
I believe Bell uses the equivalent of a dish 500 looking at 2 satellites.

correct, reciever gives 91 and 83 satelites... jusst wondering why i has unable to get recpetion while pointing... technically speaking the dish weather the name printed on it should work?

The original Directv dishes were one LNB and looked at 101W. You could use that on a Bell box and reaim that dish for 91W (for most SD) or 82 (for HD). You would need a Dish500 for both satellites

correct, reciever gives 91 and 83 satelites... jusst wondering why i has unable to get recpetion while pointing... technically speaking the dish weather the name printed on it should work?
It needs a different LNB if it is looking for two birds, especially ones 8 degrees apart.

If it is an 18" Directv dish you should be able to pick up 1 Bell satellite not both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts