Complaints about access to Satelliteguys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still visit the site every day but I know for sure that I don't spend as much time here as I used to. That is for a couple reasons that have nothing to do with me disliking the site or the members here. The first big thing is that I haven't had pay TV for almost a year now. It's just not that important for me to keep up with what new receiver Dish has coming soon or who Directv is in a dispute with anymore because I will likely be an OTA and internet only customer from now on.

The other thing is the convenience I discovered when we switched to XenForo. When we did this and I found out about the "watch" feature it really limited my random browsing of this site. I now "watch" the entire video games forum and automatically "watch" any thread I post in. When someone posts in one of those threads that I'm watching the Tapatalk app on my phone gives me an alert. Instead of checking back several times a day to see if there is anything new I often only come back when I get an alert. I still usually use the computer instead of my phone to read those threads since I sit at one all day. Instead of randomly browsing threads I just go back to the ones I'm interested in that I know have new posts.

Reactions: stardust3
The other thing is the convenience I discovered when we switched to XenForo. When we did this and I found out about the "watch" feature it really limited my random browsing of this site. I now "watch" the entire video games forum and automatically "watch" any thread I post in.
Remind me to disable that feature. ;)

Reactions: king3pj
I really enjoy this site and have learned a lot about the hobby over the years.
Not to over simplify things, but essentially there are 2 types of members here: Buyers and Sellers. In the spirit of transparency commercial sellers should be identified here, particularly when it comes to posting common purchase advice. With that, there is no reason not to charge a different membership price for a commercial FTA vendor. This site is probably responsible for a fair amount of sales, whether or not it financially benefits from it.

As you might know I removed the Gold Sponsors last year of my own doing, the reason for this was because (especially in the FTA forums) that they could not talk about a product or service if our Gold Sponsors did not sell it.
no it was more like 2 people whined and bitched because they THOUGHT that. When I was staff I had no issues with posting about any receiver out there as long as it was legal (some receivers weren't and yeah we nuked those posts). So much like a lot of things out there one or two people whine and complain, so change it and ruin it for everyone else

Reactions: eurosport
Remind me to disable that feature. ;)

Did you actually turn this off? I haven't received a notification on my phone since I posted that. I have received several notifications on the actual website in that time. Normally whenever I get a notification on the main Sat Guys website I also get one in Tapatalk.

On politics it sure is! You were the exact one that locked up a topic yesterday. "The ones of you who want to discuss global warming can start a new thread in the PIT." Sounds like a subtle pub membership plug to me. You do know a lot of the hobbies here are based on politics, the digital transition is a great example of politics.

Just so you know, the staff has discussions about threads all the time, should we close them or let them run their course. Invariably some knucklehead goes way overboard with a comment in a thread and it all blows up and we have to close it. Any time politics enters, we really have to close it before it goes off the rails.

Just so you know, the staff has discussions about threads all the time, should we close them or let them run their course. Invariably some knucklehead goes way overboard with a comment in a thread and it all blows up and we have to close it. Any time politics enters, we really have to close it before it goes off the rails.
In addition we really DON'T like closing threads. But sometimes we have to.

On politics it sure is! You were the exact one that locked up a topic yesterday. "The ones of you who want to discuss global warming can start a new thread in the PIT." Sounds like a subtle pub membership plug to me. You do know a lot of the hobbies here are based on politics, the digital transition is a great example of politics.

Factual politics are allowed. Things like the FCC is considering reclassifying broadband or a news story that the President calls on the FCC to do something. When it strays into opinions is when the posts are curtailed. Even then I have found the moderators leave a lot of leeway with discussion on how it could impact satellite, IPTV, etc. There were lots of threads and discussions of the digital transition. This site has done very well keeping a line between reporting and discussion of how the government impacts TV & Internet without allowing it to become a political platform.

Discussion tends to be quickly shut down when the discussion turns away from the technology subjects covered by this web site, or links to political sites, etc.

And yes a perk of pub membership is the "pit", but really there are a lot of other political sites to visit if you really want to talk politics.

I've seen a few times where "gov't regulation" discussions are deemed "political" though. Often times, it would appear that some can't distinguish the two...

Factual politics are allowed. Things like the FCC is considering reclassifying broadband or a news story that the President calls on the FCC to do something. When it strays into opinions is when the posts are curtailed. Even then I have found the moderators leave a lot of leeway with discussion on how it could impact satellite, IPTV, etc. There were lots of threads and discussions of the digital transition. This site has done very well keeping a line between reporting and discussion of how the government impacts TV & Internet without allowing it to become a political platform.

Discussion tends to be quickly shut down when the discussion turns away from the technology subjects covered by this web site, or links to political sites, etc.

And yes a perk of pub membership is the "pit", but really there are a lot of other political sites to visit if you really want to talk politics.

So in other words in order to get around the uptight no politics rule, "just leave and find some other website to discuss it, is the fix.:facepalm So what about those people that I or someone else want to discuss it with, do they or I ask, "lets go to another website to discuss politics"?

So in other words in order to get around the uptight no politics rule, "just leave and find some other website to discuss it, is the fix.:facepalm So what about those people that I or someone else want to discuss it with, do they or I ask, "lets go to another website to discuss politics"?

Satelliteguys is a website/forum about television (mostly). Scott provides "The Pit" for paying members as a perk. If you want to discuss politics, there are plenty of websites to do that on. Or, pony up $20 and join us in The Pit. All the Pub Membership money goes to support and pay for the site. Bandwidth, servers, software aint free!

Reactions: Mr Tony and Bobby

Factual politics....Is that really even possible? I could point out several examples, but quite a bit out there would just make excuses for it. LOL factual politics.

Reactions: Hall
Satelliteguys is a website/forum about television (mostly). Scott provides "The Pit" for paying members as a perk. If you want to discuss politics, there are plenty of websites to do that on. Or, pony up $20 and join us in The Pit. All the Pub Membership money goes to support and pay for the site. Bandwidth, servers, software aint free!

Let me answer the part in red in Spanish for you NO! The part I highlighted in blue, that is really a poor fix, it doesn't make me want to become a pub member.

With all due respect dude, I think you are chasing your tail, lots of nice friendly people have answered you and yet you still complain. We had this discussion one time before, let me go back over some key points. You are right paying 20 bucks to every website you visit is silly and not practical. However, if you find a site you enjoy visiting often and want to help it stay nothing wrong with paying for that one or two sites a year. With that said I still have yet to see where we have asked you for money. No body here has demanded you pay to stay. If you want to become a pub member and help pay the bills great! If you don't that is fine too. No need to keep running it in the ground. You are welcome here just like anybody else. :)

With all due respect dude, I think you are chasing your tail, lots of nice friendly people have answered you and yet you still complain. We had this discussion one time before, let me go back over some key points. You are right paying 20 bucks to every website you visit is silly and not practical. However, if you find a site you enjoy visiting often and want to help it stay nothing wrong with paying for that one or two sites a year. With that said I still have yet to see where we have asked you for money. No body here has demanded you pay to stay. If you want to become a pub member and help pay the bills great! If you don't that is fine too. No need to keep running it in the ground. You are welcome here just like anybody else. :)

Yes people have answered, the consensus is either pay to talk politics, or talk about it some where else...I try to point out that it really isn't the greatest policy to gain pub members, and some how I am chasing my tail...:facepalm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts